Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For those who have been jobless for 30 days or more. Which category do you fall under? (results are
I am unemployed or severely under employed and have my G.E.D. or high school diploma, 8 7.69%
I am unemployed or severly under employed and I have an Associates Degree 7 6.73%
I am unemployed or severely underemployed and I have a Bachelors or Masters Degree 51 49.04%
I am employed full-time and being paid within 10% of what the expected salary is for my position. 38 36.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
A little more than that.
*Sigh*...oh NYC. Too bad I'm stuck here. I just went to an interview today and the lady asked what I made as an administrative assistant previously. I told her $20/hr and she practically scoffed and said "Wow, that's a little high"...yet she expected me to have my Bachelors degree and all kind of experience and requirements for her administrative position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The only job, besides "mother", I can think of where you "wipe people's butts" is nurse. And nurses make a good living for themselves. And most people who are nurses go into it because they like caring for people. So bad analogy there. Try again.
Rns do not wipe butts. The aides do. I worked as a HHA and I made 5.50 an hour.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I found ways to support myself when I was like that. An addict will do anything to continue using and get their next fix. So for me that meant working odd jobs to pay the rent money. How I didn't get fired is beyond me, I'd show up for work hung over and sick all the time. Luckily I'm out of that now. And the hood honestly wasn't all that bad. The people I met there were more genuine and real than the ones that were around me when I had money.
I have to agree with you there.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGonzo069 View Post
Monetarily speaking, I am considered one of the "losers" ... *sigh*. A Bachelor's in Business, I make an hourly salary as a College Assistant - medical and dental covered by the Union. No holiday pay, no room for advancement.
And my rent is going up from $945 to $1008 (I live in a very old two-room studio in Inwood - you pull a chain to turn the lights on, wood floors that creak, sink countertop falling apart). This is a huge chunk of my paycheck, but I need a roof over my head ... *sigh*
I recently applied for low income housing, but was asked to get a guarantor that makes at least $70K, good credit and no judgements/liens ... found this kind of confusing since the ad said no guarantors were accepted.

Even though I am a "monetary loser", my son still sees me as a "winner".
If anyone needs a Secretary or Admin/Executive Assistant, please feel free to contact me *smile*
That makes my heart smile. Unconditional love is priceless.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
*Sigh*...oh NYC. Too bad I'm stuck here. I just went to an interview today and the lady asked what I made as an administrative assistant previously. I told her $20/hr and she practically scoffed and said "Wow, that's a little high"...yet she expected me to have my Bachelors degree and all kind of experience and requirements for her administrative position.
Another reason I left NYC. What good is living there if employers don't want to pay salaries that reflect the increase in cost of living expenses? $20 a hour is completely reasonable for an administrative assistant working in NYC. IMO to pay any less than that and require that the person be educated is an insult.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Another reason I left NYC. What good is living there if employers don't want to pay salaries that reflect the increase in cost of living expenses? $20 a hour is completely reasonable for an administrative assistant working in NYC. IMO to pay any less than that and require that the person be educated is an insult.
I agree.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Rns do not wipe butts. The aides do. I worked as a HHA and I made 5.50 an hour.
LOL ARE YOU A NURSE???? I'm a nurse. RNs DO wipe butts. They do EVERYTHING. Do NOT be fooled. There is a reason they make $30/hr + and even that is not enough for what they do. That's why I refuse to reenter the field. I'm not crazy about what I'm doing now, but it's a HELL of a lot less stress, mistreatment and exposure to hazardous material. Being a nurse is like being a maid, slave, waitress and...well..a nurse..all in one. I loved my patients, but nurses are pretty much sh*t on and conditioned to have the mentality to accept it and deny it. Fortunately I think outside of the box...and I think for myself!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It was actually DISGUSTING and infuriated me. I haven't pursued her or tried to set up a 2nd interview. Employers need to pull their heads out of their asses and realize that they're gonna get what they pay for. A person with good experience and an education may initially take their $12-18/hr position, but you better believe they'll be waving adios as soon as something else comes along.

Let's be FRANK...$19/hr is around $40,000/year salary...that is BEANS! How the F*** do you require a Bachelors degree for that? So sad.

However, on a lighter note, I HAVE seen some more activity in the job market. The year before, I had TWO interviews, total and it was just BRUTAL. This year, I've already had 12 employers contact me in the last week for office support positions. DEFINITE improvement. Pay and demand will probably increase in another 6-8 weeks, after the end of this business quarter. Knock on wood, but I think we're heading back in the right direction and employers are going to get with the program. They're going to start realizing that if they want to keep ANYONE with an IQ of 50 or more, at their company, they better not even think of paying less than $20/hr...................CANNOT WAIT.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Update:

I have decided that I will only interview for positions that pay $45,000/year++ and in a field that offers SOME type of growth.

I really encourage everyone, if possible, to HOLD off on the right job and request a salary that you can sleep to at night. Respect yourself.

I had a recruiter contact me and the FIRST question they asked was how much money I was looking for. I told her, for administrative assistant positions, I am looking for $40,000+. She NEVER contacted me again. SO SAD.

These employers, here in NYC, are going to get away with what they can.

I know I did NOT go to school and earn my Bachelors to earn less than $40,000/year. JESUS. Are you kidding me? One doesn't need an education for that now do they?

If you can hold off for an extra month or two in this job market, I really urge you to. Someone with a degree WILL "bite" at their first chance to make $15/hr for a job that SHOULD be paying $25/hr, but once things improve, they are OUT OF THERE.

Once employers/recruiters realize they're getting crap quality candidates, because those of us who have solid experience or additional education are demanding more, their tune should change.

Just cross your fingers everyone. We're still not in pre-2008 condition, but let's pray it gets there. I was tempted to just take any job to start working, but now that I have saved some money, I'm not interviewing for positions that are less than $45,000 and my goal is mid-50s. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
I don't think that's too much to ask for either.

If you have a goal in mind, set it and then work to bring it to fruition. You shouldn't have to take a crappy job just because employers are willing to exploit underemployed individuals. Anything less than 40k for a four-year level education is insane and especially in a city like New York.

Once our current depression ends, these employers are going to see the tables turn and then we'll be the ones exploiting our opportunities, having multiple offers to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City