Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For those who have been jobless for 30 days or more. Which category do you fall under? (results are
I am unemployed or severely under employed and have my G.E.D. or high school diploma, 8 7.69%
I am unemployed or severly under employed and I have an Associates Degree 7 6.73%
I am unemployed or severely underemployed and I have a Bachelors or Masters Degree 51 49.04%
I am employed full-time and being paid within 10% of what the expected salary is for my position. 38 36.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I don't think that's too much to ask for either.

If you have a goal in mind, set it and then work to bring it to fruition. You shouldn't have to take a crappy job just because employers are willing to exploit underemployed individuals. Anything less than 40k for a four-year level education is insane and especially in a city like New York.

Once our current depression ends, these employers are going to see the tables turn and then we'll be the ones exploiting our opportunities, having multiple offers to choose from.
TOTALLY. I have now had nearly 30 recruiters/employers call me for interviews. I am guessing that the tables ARE slowly turning in our favor.

Candidates are going to remember cheap employers and rude recruiters. Unfortunately for them, many have ruined their reputation and it's going to only hurt THEM as the economy gets better and they figure out they are unable to retain and/or attract worthwhile employees.

At this point, I can easily land a job for mid 30s, but I'm taking a small leap of faith and holding out for something closer to 50k. I feel it's a fair salary and I'm worth it. Even 50k isn't much, but I just cannot set the bar lower. For MANY of us who are in NYC for the long-term, it would be irresponsible to accept less, knowing that we wouldn't realistically stay at that position.

I'm letting employers know that I do not intend to job hop. I'm entering my late 20s and I'm not trying to mess up my resume or be all over the place. I want stability and rather take short term assignments, that are flexible around interviewing, to get by and hold out for something decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:10 AM

These stats are SO disappointing. I wish they would make this a sticky for the NYC page.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,360 times
The job market sucks

Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
The job market sucks
Absolutely Tony. I'm still glad to have some work and I'm holding off for something that is halfway decent. I've lowered my standards INCREDIBLY.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Absolutely Tony. I'm still glad to have some work and I'm holding off for something that is halfway decent. I've lowered my standards INCREDIBLY.
Same here. I have been with CVS for 3 years. I like it, even though it's a mini wage job. I have been looking everywhere for another job but it's really hard. Another thing that I like about my job is that it's up the block from my house.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Same here. I have been with CVS for 3 years. I like it, even though it's a mini wage job. I have been looking everywhere for another job but it's really hard. Another thing that I like about my job is that it's up the block from my house.
That is a DEFINITE plus!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Did anyone notice a recent surge in jobs or calls for interviews?! ...or was it just my luck?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
Quote:
Did anyone notice a recent surge in jobs or calls for interviews?! ...or was it just my luck?
I definitely did! I thought it was just me.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Once our current depression ends, these employers are going to see the tables turn and then we'll be the ones exploiting our opportunities, having multiple offers to choose from.
Quote:
Candidates are going to remember cheap employers and rude recruiters. Unfortunately for them, many have ruined their reputation and it's going to only hurt THEM as the economy gets better and they figure out they are unable to retain and/or attract worthwhile employees.
Am I wrong for getting giddy reading these two statements? Because I certainly haven't forgotten all of the snotty HR people and employers I've come across during my job search! Nor have I forgotten all of the "fake jobs" posted out there. I wonder if employers will be seeing any "fake resumes" once the market turns in our favor? (And they will turn in our favor...and against again...and back...just how the world goes!)

Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
My boss just hired 6 new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City