Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 PM

87 posts, read 164,403 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Manhattan on a Friday night relatively soon - and will be near the NY Penn Station area and will need to get to Secaucus NJ. I know this probably won't be inexpensive but that is okay. I don't vacation very often, but I have been to Manhattan before. It will be about 2:30 AM. What would be the best way? I have done some investigating, and the last train to Secaucus will have already left and I will not want to wait until 5:30 AM. It is too late for any buses from the Port Authority. I could take the PATH all the way to Newark Penn Station - and then call a taxi company there (might be cheaper). Or I could get hail a taxi from the 34th street area? Would it be better to take the subway to 42nd - and then get a cab ? Where I will be closer to the tunnel?

Oh yeah and one more crazy thought to share - I absolutely hate hailing a cab or yelling for one. HATE IT HATE IT !!!. I just hate doing it that way and don't have much luck with it believe it or not. I would much rather go to where they would congregate, or wait in line at hotels where they might hang out.

Please let me know your thoughts and options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:18 PM

198 posts, read 531,114 times
You could see how much a car service might cost you from NY Penn to Secaucus. Or you could as you suggested, take the Path to Newark and cab to Secaucus. The Path doesn't run very often at that hour and you have to make a couple of transfers before making it to Newark. It will take a long time at that hour. Best thing is to either take a cab or call a car service.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
A cab could be a difficult proposition, actually. The TLC does not require them to take you to NJ, save for Newark Airport, so they can legally refuse service. I don't think there are any buses from the PA to Secaucus at 2:30am, since I don't think there are many after midnight.

The PATH to Newark and cab to Secaucus from Newark-Penn would likely be the least expensive, and the most reliable when using a cab, since a NJ cab is not going to refuse service to Secaucus at the train station. It's only about a 20 minute drive to Secaucus from Newark, but the PATH routes to Newark are not direct from 33rd Street, only from the World Trade Center station. You would either need to take a cab/subway to the WTC station, or take the PATH from 33rd St. and then transfer to the Newark train in New Jersey.

The car service would be the most direct from Manhattan, and you would not have to negotiate with a cabbie to take you to Secaucus. With a reputable/reliable limousine company, I would expect to pay around $120-$150+tip and any wait time for a Cadillac DTS or Lincoln Town Car for that trip. I am gauging that by what I have paid from Manhattan to The Meadowlands for a car, as it's not far from Secaucus.

You can also try to hail a cab in NYC, and it would most likely be less expensive than the limousine service. According to TLC regulations, trips to NJ have to be negotiated with the cabbie for a set rate, as the meter doesn't apply. Be sure to specify before starting the trip whether or not tolls are included in the trip cost (round-trip tolls are what the cabbie will want). Since it's a relatively easy trip at that hour of the morning, you might have luck in finding a cabbie to take the fare.

Unfortunately, there are few transportation options for such a short distance from Manhattan at that hour of the morning.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,243,234 times
why not take the path to jersey city or hoboken- the taxi ride to secaucus would be shorter, hence cheaper. and there are plenty of cabs outside of the hoboken path station.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM

518 posts, read 826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
A cab could be a difficult proposition, actually. The TLC does not require them to take you to NJ, save for Newark Airport, so they can legally refuse service. I don't think there are any buses from the PA to Secaucus at 2:30am, since I don't think there are many after midnight.

The PATH to Newark and cab to Secaucus from Newark-Penn would likely be the least expensive, and the most reliable when using a cab, since a NJ cab is not going to refuse service to Secaucus at the train station. It's only about a 20 minute drive to Secaucus from Newark, but the PATH routes to Newark are not direct from 33rd Street, only from the World Trade Center station. You would either need to take a cab/subway to the WTC station, or take the PATH from 33rd St. and then transfer to the Newark train in New Jersey.

The car service would be the most direct from Manhattan, and you would not have to negotiate with a cabbie to take you to Secaucus. With a reputable/reliable limousine company, I would expect to pay around $120-$150+tip and any wait time for a Cadillac DTS or Lincoln Town Car for that trip. I am gauging that by what I have paid from Manhattan to The Meadowlands for a car, as it's not far from Secaucus.

You can also try to hail a cab in NYC, and it would most likely be less expensive than the limousine service. According to TLC regulations, trips to NJ have to be negotiated with the cabbie for a set rate, as the meter doesn't apply. Be sure to specify before starting the trip whether or not tolls are included in the trip cost (round-trip tolls are what the cabbie will want). Since it's a relatively easy trip at that hour of the morning, you might have luck in finding a cabbie to take the fare.

Unfortunately, there are few transportation options for such a short distance from Manhattan at that hour of the morning.
At 2:30 AM most drivers would not want to lose that fare, even on a Friday night. Negotiate! Don't get in the car, talk to the driver at his window. Offer $40 plus the toll which is $6 with Easy Pass. The driver will probably say $50 plus the toll, which is fair. If the driver wants too much or doesn't want the fair at all, walk away and try the next one.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
At 2:30 AM most drivers would not want to lose that fare, even on a Friday night. Negotiate! Don't get in the car, talk to the driver at his window. Offer $40 plus the toll which is $6 with Easy Pass. The driver will probably say $50 plus the toll, which is fair. If the driver wants too much or doesn't want the fair at all, walk away and try the next one.
Good to know!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 PM

988 posts, read 3,258,925 times
+1, take the PATH from 33rd to Hoboken which runs every 30 mins as opposed to every hour at WTC. There are cabs lined up at the Hoboken PATH station and you'll have no problem getting to Secaucus. DON'T cab it or car service it from the city to NJ unless you want to pay at least $70. Just don't get too drunk and you'll be OK.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 PM

87 posts, read 164,403 times
Thanks everyone for the great info...so far I think I will do the PATH to Hoboken and then taxi

Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,823,376 times
Most yellow cab drivers won't want to go to Seacacus, particularly on Friday night--which is the most lucrative night of the week. The main reasonis that it tkes them out of Manhattan, where the money is, and they won't get a fare bback into the city, AND, the congestion at the tunnels on a Friday night.

So above and beyond the meter is a must. Note, unless things have changed, the charge is double the meter.

If you hate hailing cabs, then why not simply use a black car service or limo service? A car will be waiting at the Penn Station exit. There are many services. Try Dial_777. If you're a frequent user, you can setup an account, pay by voucher, and be billed monthly.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM

518 posts, read 826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Most yellow cab drivers won't want to go to Seacacus, particularly on Friday night--which is the most lucrative night of the week. The main reasonis that it tkes them out of Manhattan, where the money is, and they won't get a fare bback into the city, AND, the congestion at the tunnels on a Friday night.

So above and beyond the meter is a must. Note, unless things have changed, the charge is double the meter.

If you hate hailing cabs, then why not simply use a black car service or limo service? A car will be waiting at the Penn Station exit. There are many services. Try Dial_777. If you're a frequent user, you can setup an account, pay by voucher, and be billed monthly.

At 2:30 AM many drivers would view such a ride as the bird in the hand, even on Friday.

It should be a flat rate for such a ride, not double the meter. The TLC says the fare should be agreed upon before the trip starts. With doubling the meter you can't know what it will eventually cost...Doubling is only used for Westchester and Nassau Counties AFTER you cross the city line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City