Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 AM

156 posts, read 335,722 times

Advertisements

So basically it seems as if my income wouldn't be worth moving back to NYC, but what about my heart. What about the possibilities of increasing income and career moves.
Maybe I should wait until kids are older and maybe rents go down. Decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 AM

I also figured that my salary would increase being that its NY also, but maybe I am wrong. Thanks all for your input. I love hearing other thoughts.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 AM

233 posts, read 720,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
I also figured that my salary would increase being that its NY also, but maybe I am wrong.
I'm not sure about your field, but I wouldn't count on huge salary bump for moving to NY and any increase in salary is surely going to be absorbed by the cost of living increase. You'd probably have to make double to keep the same lifestyle you have now. And there is no way with the current economy your going to make double.

With little in savings and no jobs already lined up, I think NY sounds like a recipe for spending a lot of money on a move and ending up back in NC in worse shape than you are now.

Have you considered moving to a more exciting area in NC where you could keep your current jobs? Charlotte has to be a lot more exciting than say .... Greenville? I'm not sure where you live, so maybe you already live in a NC "city", but could this be an option?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 AM

No more NC for me, I am going to wait to see if DC or Maryland comes thru, if not I will hold off as long as possible with NYC until I can't take it anymore.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
No more NC for me, I am going to wait to see if DC or Maryland comes thru, if not I will hold off as long as possible with NYC until I can't take it anymore.

Dont rule out NoVa either (if you can find a job without a clearance, or can get a clearance). Its a tad too suburban for NYers mostly, but its still got gads of ex NYers, lots of activity, and great proximity to DC (and NYC is weekendable)

Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Yeah I have been thinking about NOVA but isn't it just as pricey as NY

Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
IMO

-follow your heart. that feeling will not go away. no matter what anybody tells you.

-i know how it feels to be miserable and to live someplace you really don't want to live. its hard to even exist at a certain point and get up in the morning. then when you follow that advice of coming here for a week you won't wanna go back. everybody down there will seemingly be going through the motions of living. moving in slow motion... (no offense to southerners at all). you'd actually feel worse after returning, IMO.

-dc rent is on par with ny rent, afaik

-the dmv area is great...but its not ny. if ny is in your heart, living in dc or the dmv area won't solve this problem.

-start saving what you can now and job hunting, which you already said you've done.

-the job market is terrible everywhere. i wouldn't pick up and go regardless of whats in my heart. you also have to use your head. i'm sure you already know this.

-charlotte won't solve your problem either. while its more exciting than other areas of nc, its not really exciting at all. had you come from a similar smaller city like say...raleigh then charlotte might be fine for you. but with ny in your heart, charlotte solves none of your issues except finances.

mass transit there is terrible, you'll still drive everywhere, amenities in comparison are mediocre, etc. it would be a lateral move. more of the same. the job market is terrible there too.

quick question, how old are your two children? i might have missed where you said their ages.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Right, I moved from NY when I was 23 without kids, so I meant the lifestyle with kids. Yes I can buy a nice house out here that is true, but its boring and cultureless, so tired of driving everywhere. I actually like walking. But yes, the thought of struggling on public transportation with kids is there. That is why maybe Queens could be good. But good points.
Yeah I get it. Typical suburbia is dull compared to city life, and car culture is overrated. It's just with small kids it gets harder and less practical to get away from it, especially when they're not old enough yet to see themselves around most of the time. I suppose once they became old enough to not need daycare and constant supervision it would get much easier.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMO

-follow your heart. that feeling will not go away. no matter what anybody tells you.

-i know how it feels to be miserable and to live someplace you really don't want to live. its hard to even exist at a certain point and get up in the morning. then when you follow that advice of coming here for a week you won't wanna go back. everybody down there will seemingly be going through the motions of living. moving in slow motion... (no offense to southerners at all). you'd actually feel worse after returning, IMO.

quick question, how old are your two children? i might have missed where you said their ages.
Oh Wow. You are so right about how visiting and coming back makes it even worse. Yes!!! I have to struggle to get on the plane, holding back tears in my heart.

My kids are 2 and 6.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Yeah I get it. Typical suburbia is dull compared to city life, and car culture is overrated. It's just with small kids it gets harder and less practical to get away from it, especially when they're not old enough yet to see themselves around most of the time. I suppose once they became old enough to not need daycare and constant supervision it would get much easier.
I guess I am learning alot about my self these last few years. I like the city. I need the city. The rush, the noise and the people. People look at me like I am crazy in NC. I talk too loud, I curse too much, I am too real.

I asked my mother her thoughts and she said she wouldn't raise little children in the city, thus why I was raised in Queens until I turned 13 and then Harlem. As for Daycare in NYC my sister runs a daycare so that wouldn't be a problem.

Yes car culture is overrated. I like it don't get me wrong. But not ALL the time. There be days when my legs aches to walk. And I tried walking but its not the same when you have to watch out for cars on the street bein sidewalk space is minimal to none. I remember when I was young and couldn't wait for a car, now I just want to walk. You miss a lot by being in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City