Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,787 times

Advertisements

Well I have lived in Manhattan right on the corner of 45th and Broadway yup Times Square for 14 years of my life so practially raised there I remember the day my mom decided to move to the Bronx! I was mortified! But now I am starting to see why kinda...

I'm 19 so I move around the city alot also I tend to frequent in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn I love it there so much change it's like a copy of the Village! Well anyway I've recently started to see changes by my block (Morrison Ave & Westchester) the stores are all getting glass fronts and the station has been remodled and a lot of young (I don't wann say it but there is no other word for it) White people have started to move in. It's not a problem cause they don't cause any problem but my question is, Is Soundview (Prefetably everything to the east of Morrison...Park Hester etc.) becoming gentrified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavon212 View Post
Well I have lived in Manhattan right on the corner of 45th and Broadway yup Times Square for 14 years of my life so practially raised there I remember the day my mom decided to move to the Bronx! I was mortified! But now I am starting to see why kinda...

I'm 19 so I move around the city alot also I tend to frequent in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn I love it there so much change it's like a copy of the Village! Well anyway I've recently started to see changes by my block (Morrison Ave & Westchester) the stores are all getting glass fronts and the station has been remodled and a lot of young (I don't wann say it but there is no other word for it) White people have started to move in. It's not a problem cause they don't cause any problem but my question is, Is Soundview (Prefetably everything to the east of Morrison...Park Hester etc.) becoming gentrified?
I havent took a walk through soundview in a good while. One of the commentators on here nevets says soundview is one of teh worst places he has seen in the Bronx. I guess Im going to have to take a walk down soundview. I only go to soundview to only visit beechwood condominiums which over looks LGA runway 22.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I havent took a walk through soundview in a good while. One of the commentators on here nevets says soundview is one of teh worst places he has seen in the Bronx. I guess Im going to have to take a walk down soundview. I only go to soundview to only visit beechwood condominiums which over looks LGA runway 22.
Well that commentator needs to walk around the Morrison area by the 6 train station and not Soundvidw PJ's cause it's really different then when I moved here in 2005.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,770,447 times
Soundview is looking at EASILY 10-15 years before its considered even slightly desirable.
The only word to describe its current state is that abused word: ghetto.
It really is. Perhaps your immediate area is ok, but the neighborhood in general is full to the brim with drugs, wannabe Bloods and Crips and crime.

Be careful.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,332,301 times
soundview isn't going through no gentrification. In fact soundview isnt even in a state where it needs gentrification.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,569,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavon212 View Post
a lot of young (I don't wann say it but there is no other word for it) White people have started to move in. It's not a problem
they probably live in new mixed-income housing

Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
I cant really say if soundview is gentrifying. If anything soundview area is ripe for redevelopement. The three steps to to gentrification is rezone, redevelope and rivatialize. I dont think soundview is in any of those previous steps I mentioned.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM

49 posts, read 366,642 times
WOW! Considering Soundview's reputation, I often dismiss the possibility that gentrification is on the horizon in the area. However, like yourself, I have been spotting more and more whites by Soundview and Morrisson. And you know what, it may not be as far-fetched as it sounds.

Before all the haters jump down on me, please take note. Soundview does not consist only of projects and subsidized housing. Yes, Soundview prior to the Bruckner Expressway has a lot of subsidized housing, but Soundview below the Bruckner has a lot of Co-Op buildings. It's truly, truly amazing. And I expect many in this forum to dismiss me but it's the truth. Also, don't forget about Shorehaven by the water, a sprawling Co-Op community that is also in Soundview. A lot of the new construction in Soundview is also not subsidized housing but multi-family homes.

As for Parkchester, I'm amazed at how diverse that place is. You truly see a bit of everything there. Lots of Asians, hispanics, and even whites.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM

49 posts, read 366,642 times
Many of then red brick, tower-in-the-park style buildings you see in Soundview are actually co-ops and not projects, by the way. You'd be surprised. There's a lot of working people there.

Unfortunately, the areas immidiately by the projects can be sketchy.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,542,403 times
Default what is E 172 street and 174th street

from Bronx River Avenue to the Bronx River Pkwy like? I know it's Soundview, but not very long from just over the bridge from W Farms

The area where The Son Of Sam was born-1105 Stratford Avenue, in a book I read about him, said the area was bad even in the late 60's. was this true?

I know the area around Westchester Avenue between the Bx River and Bx River Pkwy and the surrounding blocks were always rough, but were they rough say as the area by the Hunts Pt terminal market or where Jimmy Carter visited (Charlotte St) in 1977 ?

if those living in Hunts Point. W Farms and Longwood in 1977 wanted to escape those areas, would Soundview be considered a viable alternative back in those days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City