Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 AM

174 posts, read 414,056 times

Advertisements

Hiya,

I am a new to NYC and I live in the UWS. I have a function I am attending with my husband out at Floral Park.We will be catching the subway out there however I am wondering if its wise to subway back around midnight? I do all over Manhattan especially going out on Friday and saturday nights however I am not familar at all with Queens. Back in Sydney Australia we do NOT catch trains at all at midnight way to dangerous. Like I said I am new here and would appreciate honest advice as I will have my two kids waiting for me at home with a babysitter. Also how easy is it to get a cab back? I was thinking otherwise I will get a car service maybe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,975,930 times
There is no subway to Floral Park.You have to use the LIRR and service may be VERY limited to Penn Station late at night.Either that or take a cab to a NYC transit terminus.Jamaica is probably the closest and it might be a little creepy around there after midnight.The train itself will be pretty safe.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,777,983 times
Floral Park, Queens or Floral Park, Long Island?

Either way, subwaying it to the Long Island border would be a plain hassle. You could take the Lirr, and have someone pick you up at the station. You can do the reverse given a LIRR train runs that late at that station/line. You need to check the schedule.

If either of you have a driver's license, then why not rent a car, then you're on your own schedule. Just get good directions.

None of the above favorable, then just call a black car. Getting a car to the destination will be simple and easy. Calling a car to pick you up in Floral Park will take some wait time, as the car will most likely have to come from Manhattan. So call for the car at least a half hour before time.

You could have the driver wait, but you'd have to reserve and pay for the evening.

If your job uses black cars, you could probably make arrangements through your supervisor or personnel. That way you can sign the standard voucher and reimburse your job. Most of the black cars accept credit cards too.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Renting a car probably isn't worth it. If you plan it, you should be able to make the LIRR. The Floral Park LIRR station (and both the queens and LI part of Floral park should be very safe at night) has trains often if you plan by schedule. There's one at 12:30 and 1:32 to Penn Station.

Ask someone to drop you off or get a taxi to the LIRR unless you're lucky enough to be in walking distance.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM

174 posts, read 414,056 times
Thank you all so much. Its actually a restaurant and the station is close by. I think we will catch the LIRR from Penn to there and then book a car to pick us up. I will pre book it online so that I dont have to wait around. I am not sure if its Queens or Long island but I know it is close to the boarder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: