Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 12:47 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't say Cuba, DR, and PR are Spanish...the only people Spanish are those from Spain. I say they are Hispanic, but they are Latino also (west coast word). Everyone on the planet is mixed, there is no purity, so we must speak of predominant.

Haiti is predominantly african, but with french influence. Philipines are predominantly asian, with Spanish influence, and Jamaica is primarily african, with British influence. In every case, the colonizer did not have the population to make it actually French, Spanish, or British in those countries. Yes those populations are mixed, as every population on the planet is, but it was not enough to change anything...yes Haitians speak Creole and are francophiles, but they are not french! Jamaicans speak English, but they are not British! And Filipinos speak some spanish words, have similar food, and cultural, but they are an Asian population, not Spanish.

The argument you are making is a colonizer can come in, and influence the population, and therefore that population is now whatever the colonizer is, regardless of how large the indigenous population continued to be, or what other large influences there may be. And I disagree 100%...which is why I say Haiti is not french, Jamaicans are not British, and Filipinos are not Hispanic.
Ah I see what you are saying to the part about the colonizers. I didn't mean it like that.

What makes Puerto Rico, Hispanic to you, and what makes Phillipines not Hispanic to you? I'm curious!...

Jamaicans are technically Anglo or Brittanic meaning they are an English speaking culture.

Haiti speaks FRENCH. Haitians would be Franco/Gaulic I guess.

Phillipines is just as Hispanic as Puerto Rico and Cuba.

Hispanic just is a term used to describe people from Spanish speaking countries and cultures regardless of race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Ah I see what you are saying to the part about the colonizers. I didn't mean it like that.

What makes Puerto Rico, Hispanic to you, and what makes Phillipines not Hispanic to you? I'm curious!...

Jamaicans are technically Anglo or Brittanic meaning they are an English speaking culture.

Haiti speaks FRENCH. Haitians would be Franco/Gaulic I guess.

Phillipines is just as Hispanic as Puerto Rico and Cuba.

Hispanic just is a term used to describe people from Spanish speaking countries and cultures regardless of race.
A lot of Phillipinos just speak Tagalog and English. Spanish is spoken by a minority of Phillipinos today. A number of Phillipinos do have Spanish last names, though, and some Spanish ancestry.

Puerto Rico and Cuba don't have native languages that are so commonly spoken as Puerto Rico or Cuba.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:58 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I have already answered why filipinos are not Hispanic. Puerto Rico is Hispanic because it is primarily a Spanish population, with African and Indigenous influences. It is technically mixed, like every other group on the planet however.

Using your definition of Hispanic, Filipinos are not Hispanic as they are not people from a Spanish speaking country..they don't speak Spanish and the bulk of the population is predominantly asian. Sure they have some Spanish culture and words..so what?

You cannot look at the population of Haiti and say you are french, any more than you can look at the population of South Africa and say you are dutch. That's not how it works, or how it is defined.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A lot of Phillipinos just speak Tagalog and English. Spanish is spoken by a minority of Phillipinos today. A number of Phillipinos do have Spanish last names, though, and some Spanish ancestry.

Puerto Rico and Cuba don't have native languages that are so commonly spoken as Puerto Rico or Cuba.
Actually many Fillipinos do speak and understand Spanish. In many schools many learn Spanish.

Spanish was an officially recognized official language until the 1990s.

Tagalog is spoken as well as Chavacano which is a Spanish based Creole.

I would consider Fillipinos to be Hispanic in terms of being a Spanish speaking influenced culturally. Racially they can be of any race, with of course many being "Mongoloid" or "Asian"

Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I have already answered why filipinos are not Hispanic. Puerto Rico is Hispanic because it is primarily a Spanish population, with African and Indigenous influences. It is technically mixed, like every other group on the planet however.

Using your definition of Hispanic, Filipinos are not Hispanic as they are not people from a Spanish speaking country..they don't speak Spanish and the bulk of the population is predominantly asian. Sure they have some Spanish culture and words..so what?

You cannot look at the population of Haiti and say you are french, any more than you can look at the population of South Africa and say you are dutch. That's not how it works, or how it is defined.
Lol. Now you are twisting and misunderstanding my words. South Africa has Portuguese and Dutch influences and even a little bit of Arab influences, with of course the British having a big impact.

But anyways, you don't seem to get what I'm trying to say. Fillipinos are Hispanics. My own logic was speaking of how they are Hispanic, no logic of mine or yours disproved or took away from Fillipinos being Hispanic.

Case and point. Would you consider Equitorial Guinea to be Hispanic? They are a Spanish speaking nation.

Phillipines had Spanish as an official language until the 1990s.

What if Puerto Rico's official language was automatically made just soley English, and Spanish was no longer recognized? Would Puerto Ricans not be able to claim being Hispanic?

Again, I never said Haitians are French as in of France. I was saying that Haitians are Latin and Franco/Francic in the same sense that Puerto Ricans would be Hispanic. Haitians do speak French in addition to Creole. Again, travel to Haiti for yourself and other places. The term Hispanic/Latino is not even really used outside the USA at least in the manner that it's semanticized and politicized in the USA.

Being black does not stop someone from being Hispanic or Latino etc.

Would you consider a black Puerto Rican (someone like Tego Calderon) to be Hispanic?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:

LOL! Puerto Rico is not primarily or purely Spanish. Most Puerto Ricans are of mixed African, European, and Native American descent.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:

AGAIN, you keep on mentioning that the bulk of the population is predominantly "Asian". What the heck does that have to do with whether or not one is or can be Hispanic? What does being "Asian" have to do with anything? You aren't making any sense. There are plenty of Asian descent peoples living in Spanish speaking countries and Latin influenced nations.

You clearly don't know my definition of Hispanic or the true usage of what Hispanic is more means. Being Asian or Mongoloid has nothing to do with whether or not one can be Hispanic.

Hispanic is a term used to refer to people of ALL races that come from Spanish based or Spanish speaking or Spanish influenced cultures.

Asian descent peoples living in Cuba or Puerto Rico, often identify as being Hispanic and Latino when the come to the USA.

Many Fillipinos identify as Latinos also. It doesn't take away from a Fillipino being racially Mongoloid or Asian.

Just like Equitoreal Guineans being a Spanish speaking African nation. An Equitoreal Guinean may identify as Hispanic and Latino but that doesn't mean that they don't know that they are black African descent.

What would you consider the black communities of the Palenque de San Basilio who speak Palenquero, which is a local Spanish based Creole language based on Bantu and other African languages and Spanish? Many speak Palenquero in addition to Spanish. If this commuity became an independent nation would you consider them to be Hispanic/Latino if they became an independent nation with Palenquero being used as the official language?

As for Phillipines, Spanish was the local official language until the 1990s. But efforts have been made to maintain it in schools and to re establish it as the official language.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 11-05-2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:

If anything this should prove how broad and flawed the label of Hispanic and Latino.

Jamaica and Barbados speak English and have very British influenced and based cultures, yet it's funny how you don't consider them to be Brittanic/Anglo and Germanic, yet you say Dominicans are Hispanic and Latino. That makes no sense.

You seem to be using ancestry as a determining factor for what you use as or label under the guise of labeling something as Hispanic/Latino.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
If anything this should prove how broad and flawed the label of Hispanic and Latino.

Jamaica and Barbados speak English and have very British influenced and based cultures, yet it's funny how you don't consider them to be Brittanic/Anglo and Germanic, yet you say Dominicans are Hispanic and Latino. That makes no sense.

You seem to be using ancestry as a determining factor for what you use as or label under the guise of labeling something as Hispanic/Latino.
There's another way of looking at it. If you did dna tests on the Jamaicans, what would the dna test show? It would show most Jamaicans are predominately from various African ancestries. There would be Asian, European, and American in there.

But the whole Jamaican nationality, and even the whole English bit, are political designations that have nothing to do with what people really are. A Jamaican could more or less have the same or a similar genetic profile as a Dominican or a Haitian.

You've strong African influences in the culture of Jamaica, and the English they speak certainly doesn't sound like the language the British speak. You've even influences from the South and East Asian populations there. Therefore, the Jamaicans are not British. The Haitians similarly are not French, and the Dominicans are not Spanish. The Haitians and the Dominicans are Latino or Latin American, yes.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 11-05-2013 at 04:26 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's another way of looking at it. If you did dna tests on the Jamaicans, what would the dna test show? It would show most Jamaicans are predominately from various African ancestries. There would be Asian, European, and American in there.

But the whole Jamaican nationality, and even the whole English bit, are political designations that have nothing to do with what people really are. A Jamaican could more or less have the same or a similar genetic profile as a Dominican or a Haitian.

You've strong African influences in the culture of Jamaica, and the English they speak certainly doesn't sound like the language the British speak. You've even influences from the South and East Asian populations there. Therefore, the Jamaicans are not British. The Haitians similarly are not French, and the Dominicans are not Spanish. The Haitians and the Dominicans are Latino or Latin American, yes.
I can agree with most of what you said. Well stated

However in regards to Fillipinos as for the teaching it in schools, people are using it to help maintain and to explain and understand folkloric and folktale traditions. Many Fillipinos do still speak Spanish. And many areas in government still speak it. It's always been taught in schools.

Phillipines even after Spanish was taken off the official language roster in the 1990s still maintained and spoke Spanish as many in society and government and traditionalists and cultural folklore still utilized Spanish.

Goodquestion to consider is 20 or 30 years ago would you or others have considered Phillipines to be Hispanic/Latino? It was going through the same complex relationship with the USA as Puerto Rico was going through with and still goes through with the USA. English was even recently imposed as an official language of the USA the same way the USA did to Puerto Rico and the vast Louisiana Territory regions. And keep in mind Phillipines went through the same proccess and history that was freeing Puerto Rico and Cuba and Guam etc and Marinara/Marinera Islands.

Thanks for your comparisons and analysis because that's what I was trying to say about these terms and flawed perceptions to SoBroGuy.

And yes, many Jamaicans have direct and/or indirect British ancestry and lineage or ancestry from various regions that are now part of the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City