Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times

Advertisements

Not to support any crazy theories, but not long ago, Italians really weren't considered white. A few months back, I heard a recording of a speech by Mayor Lindsay (1966-1973) where he referred to how great NYC is because all of the races get along. He named the races and it was something like: Poles, Italians, Germans, etc.

Talk to your grandparents and I'm sure they can tell you all about it.

Racial identification and political awareness is also extremely generational and often reflects socio-economic status. Just as some people of my group prefer African-American to black, some First Nations folks prefer Indian to Native American or First Nations. I heard a conversation on NPR about whether or not "Indian" school mascots are offensive and while the younger guests definitely thought they were, the older representative thought it was an honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
He named the races and it was something like: Poles, Italians, Germans, etc.
Those are ethnicities. Not races. There is a difference.

Example: I have a girlfriend who is from brazil. Her ethnicity is Brazilian her race is white. I asked her once and she said "I am white because my parents are from portugal"

Quote:
Talk to your grandparents and I'm sure they can tell you all about it.
My grandmother is white, as is my other grandmother who came from italy. She actually laughed when I asked her "What race are we"

Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Those are ethnicities. Not races. There is a difference.

Example: I have a girlfriend who is from brazil. Her ethnicity is Brazilian her race is white. I asked her once and she said "I am white because my parents are from portugal"

My grandmother is white, as is my other grandmother who came from italy. She actually laughed when I asked her "What race are we"
I know the difference. I was quoting a historical fact, that during the Mayor's time, what we consider ethnicities today were considered races back then.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
I know the difference. I was quoting a historical fact, that during the Mayor's time, what we consider ethnicities today were considered races back then.
I'm not really concerned with what the mayor said in 1973.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
The issue of the perceived color of Italians has changed completely over the course of my lifetime.When I was growing up in an Irish ghetto we were taught by family and Irish nuns that Italians were non white.It was totally ignorant of course but Italians were considered "colored".Marriage between Irish and Italian people was strongly discouraged and was quite rare because Italians were considered another race.When I was a kid my older sister married an Italian guy and the fighting,screaming and name calling that went on is still a vivd memory for me.I mean real knock down battles ! Within a decade attitudes changed dramatically and the Irish/Italian wedding combo became quite common.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not really concerned with what the mayor said in 1973.
Then what do you have to add to this conversation regarding race, ethnicity and regional and historical differences?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
In NYC what is considered Latino?
For NYC and the US people from Central & South America are considered Latino. Though many people don't know that Spanish is not their natural language. The conquistadores from Spain brought Spanish there.

True Latinos are people who come from Romance language countries or better said were conquered by the Roman Empire.

Latin America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Is it certain countries?

For the American continent is one answer and for Europe is a different answer.

Quote:
Are Hatian's considered Latino since they speak French?

No (if they have no relatives from France). Haiti was a colony of France. Thus Blacks are decendent from African slaves. Dark skined native Indians are not the same as Blacks. To find true Latinos would require a gene test to test for markers related to to Europeans (Just like they test American Indians for markers in their blood to find out if a white has Indian genes.

Haiti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 PM

113 posts, read 263,962 times
Quote:
Please don't type in red, it's a mod color and it's confusing and annoying.

And what do you mean that Italians aren't white? Italian-American is not a race and I find it very very hard to believe that there was a box for that on a race survey.

I am a midwestern transplant and an Italian so I just contradicted your whole little hair brained theory. I would be VERY offended if someone told me I was not pure white because I was italian.
It shouldn't matter what color I like to type in...seriously. Don't see how it's "confusing" to anyone! I have seen Italian-American as its own little box on various surveys I've filled out over the years. According to history, Sicilians are of mixed blood, and were therefore thought to not be "pure white" as I said. If you are Italian, I'm sure you've heard this... And why would it be "offensive" if someone told you that you weren't white anyways? Does it really matter??

Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 PM

113 posts, read 263,962 times
Quote:
Then what do you have to add to this conversation regarding race, ethnicity and regional and historical differences?
Lmao... you beat me to it!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
For NYC and the US people from Central & South America are considered Latino. Though many people don't know that Spanish is not their natural language. The conquistadores from Spain brought Spanish there.

True Latinos are people who come from Romance language countries or better said were conquered by the Roman Empire.

Latin America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the American continent is one answer and for Europe is a different answer.

No (if they have no relatives from France). Haiti was a colony of France. Thus Blacks are decendent from African slaves. Dark skined native Indians are not the same as Blacks. To find true Latinos would require a gene test to test for markers related to to Europeans (Just like they test American Indians for markers in their blood to find out if a white has Indian genes.

Haiti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many Spanish Black people that have African heritage. So you are saying only certain skin colors are latino?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City