Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
As the soon-to-be mom of a "mixed-race" kid, I say it is up to the kid to decide. But according to the latest census results, more and more Americans are choosing to call themselves multiracial instead of the old way of only choosing one side.
I agree and would raise my child to have an understanding of the beauty of each culture. There are so many AA/Latinos in NYC I was just wondering if they identify with both cultures. I think a lot of it may have to do with which side of the family they were most influenced by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
I think Colombia is around 20% afro hispanic, while the majority is Mestizo(Amerindian-white).
Thats similar to the U.S where the Whites are the majority and blacks are the minority.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:48 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
True Latinos show heritage to a Romance language country. South American dark skin is not the same as African Black (or shades of which is due to the proximaty to the equator - countries on the equator have the darkest skin while people near the poles have very light skin). So to answer your question is not that simple as color. But usually the darker the skin color either leads to an Indian or African without testing for European genes. Most of African looking blacks in spanish speaking countries were brought there as slaves of the colonists from Spain.

If you look up the history of South America you will find that due to the Spaniards nearly 75% of the population died to numerous reasons.
Its similar to the USA

It would be like excluding blacks from being Americans because of their skin color.

Its a little racist to exclude Blacks from Spanish speaking countries

Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 AM

44 posts, read 65,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I'm not really concerned with what the mayor said in 1973.
And....your point is?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM

402 posts, read 811,562 times
How about Brazilians, and persons from Belize?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
How about Brazilians, and persons from Belize?
My father, who is of Brasilian descent, considers himself "Latino".

Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The issue of the perceived color of Italians has changed completely over the course of my lifetime.When I was growing up in an Irish ghetto we were taught by family and Irish nuns that Italians were non white.It was totally ignorant of course but Italians were considered "colored".Marriage between Irish and Italian people was strongly discouraged and was quite rare because Italians were considered another race.When I was a kid my older sister married an Italian guy and the fighting,screaming and name calling that went on is still a vivd memory for me.I mean real knock down battles ! Within a decade attitudes changed dramatically and the Irish/Italian wedding combo became quite common.
Are you like 97 years old or something? Italian and Irish intermarriage has been going on for a VERY long time now.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
QUESTION: If a woman is ethnically/culturally African-American, and multiracial (60% African/ 40% other), and has a child with a Puerto Rican man (mixed appearance), what is the child? AA or Latino, or something else? Is the child's designation more about nature or nurture?
The child is both. Just like the President is actually both black and white. To be super technical the child is actually racially mixed and ethnically/culturally mixed as well.

We have a tendency in this country to try to neatly stick everyone in a box. Some people just can't be put in just one box.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The issue of the perceived color of Italians has changed completely over the course of my lifetime.When I was growing up in an Irish ghetto we were taught by family and Irish nuns that Italians were non white.It was totally ignorant of course but Italians were considered "colored".Marriage between Irish and Italian people was strongly discouraged and was quite rare because Italians were considered another race.When I was a kid my older sister married an Italian guy and the fighting,screaming and name calling that went on is still a vivd memory for me.I mean real knock down battles ! Within a decade attitudes changed dramatically and the Irish/Italian wedding combo became quite common.
That's hilarious to me since Irish were not really considered White either for a many years...

Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I agree and would raise my child to have an understanding of the beauty of each culture. There are so many AA/Latinos in NYC I was just wondering if they identify with both cultures. I think a lot of it may have to do with which side of the family they were most influenced by.
New York City is a bit different from most cities because it's one of the few that has a large black Hispanic population. No matter how much people want to argue over the semantics of "blackness," most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have West African heritage, which in some way does serve as a cultural bond between them and African Americans/West Indians.

I mean, who are the Mexican/Nicaraguan/Guatemalan equivalents of the following people (who largely identify with and have been/were embraced by the AA community):

Angie Martinez
Rosie Perez
Christina Milian
Big Pun
Fat Joe
Zoe Saldana
Jennifer Lopez (semi-revoked)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City