U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 AM

384 posts, read 816,394 times

Advertisements

In Manhattan you can barely get anywhere near the water because there's a barricade of highways to keep you away from the shore.

It seems like really poor urban planning and never made sense to me - it is an island after all. Why doesn't it have a waterfront like Chicago or SF, instead of highway barricades?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,073,282 times
That's one of the reasons why I think Manhattan is boring. They have no access to the waterfront. They should demolish the elevated freeway and build wide pedestrian waterfront road looping around Manhattan like they did in SF. They should landscape the road, create scenic areas along the wide road and build the prominade like Brooklyn Heights. Many restaurants, cafe and retails should also populate the wide waterfront boulevard. That's one step toward making Manhattan a true gathering place. Second, they should have a downtown where everything is like stadiums, theaters, museums, library, city hall and many other things. Wouldn't that be something? I would love to visit NYC if those were the case.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,631,156 times
I'm kinda confused...you can easily walk to South Street Seaport on the lower east side and from there walk to Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan and then walk your way up the west side of Manhattan. There are plenty of crosswalks that go across the West Side Highway to reach the waterfront side.

I'll agree NYC hasn't taken full advantage of its waterfront making it nicer in some areas but there is access (which I never thought was terrible) and there are things to do around there. I've never felt like I couldn't get anywhere on the waterfront. Where in particular are you talking about?

And I definitely would not want a stadium in downtown. The traffic and lack of space it would cause are big enough reasons for me.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 AM

1,410 posts, read 5,072,750 times
There are 17 miles of waterfront access around Manhattan. I like that it is mostly quiet and non-commercial.
Manhattan Waterfront Greenway - New York City Department of City Planning

Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 AM

16,217 posts, read 21,631,190 times
Blame Robert Moses for the lack of water front access in Manhattan!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:50 AM

495 posts, read 737,955 times
Because Manhattan use to be a shipping center. Only manufacturing and shipping industries lined the waterfront. No residents or offices wanted to be near that.

The shipping industry left Manhattan due to containerization and the waterfront sat derelict. Moses help get those highways built, which was bad planning, but typical for the time.

Anyway Bloomberg just announced an initiative to invest 3 billion dollars into the city's waterfront in the coming years. It already has improved vastly in the last 10 years. Hudson River Park, East River Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park and Battery Park City are beautiful. They just seem difficult to get to since the city did not grow around the waterfront.

durf continues to prove that he's never been to NY.
The Henry Hudson River Parkway is probably one of the most scenic urban roads in any American city.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:22 AM

17,358 posts, read 29,259,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Because Manhattan use to be a shipping center. Only manufacturing and shipping industries lined the waterfront. No residents or offices wanted to be near that.

The shipping industry left Manhattan due to containerization and the waterfront sat derelict. Moses help get those highways built, which was bad planning, but typical for the time.

Anyway Bloomberg just announced an initiative to invest 3 billion dollars into the city's waterfront in the coming years. It already has improved vastly in the last 10 years. Hudson River Park, East River Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park and Battery Park City are beautiful. They just seem difficult to get to since the city did not grow around the waterfront.

durf continues to prove that he's never been to NY.
The Henry Hudson River Parkway is probably one of the most scenic urban roads in any American city.

EXACTLY !!! read about NY history. It is because of our waterways that manhattan is manhattan.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,543,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
EXACTLY !!! read about NY history. It is because of our waterways that manhattan is manhattan.
The Same can be said for the NJ side and look what weve done over the past 20 years.....

Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM

4,841 posts, read 4,920,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Same can be said for the NJ side and look what weve done over the past 20 years.....
?? Whats that supposed to mean? The NJ waterfront is pretty much the same in terms of development as Brooklyn waterfront, only slightly wider in some places and dirtier during the summer (both are pretty clean on average though).

Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM

8,868 posts, read 11,879,658 times
when I was little, the working piers hadnt quite died yet on the west side, from the battery pretty much all the way to 59th street.

The east side WAS taking advantage of the waterfront in spots - notably the UN, and various developments and parks north of the UN (though before 1957 or so that was east of the el, and a semislum area except for some spots). It the FDR drive was designed to come between residual watefront industry and the residential areas, and uptown it went underneath various new things (like the UN). The west side was still working waterfront, and the west side highway predated robert moses, I think.

For decades now NYC has gradually be reclaiming the manhattan waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City