U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM

22 posts, read 59,588 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyone who has already given me some great advice, I am still unsure what to do so I am posing my question a little differently. What option would you choose A or B?

Keep in mind my work situation is pretty stable but some red flags indicate I may need to (or will choose to) look for something new in the near future. In which case I feel a job hunt would be better done if I'm already in Manhattan (more transportation, closer location to potential new job), right?

Stay in current apartment in Parkchester, Bronx (A)
Pros:
Love my neighbors
Love my apartment
Pretty quiet and safe (occasional noise, paper thin walls are sometimes an issue)
Low rent
Lovely neighborhood

Cons:
Far from Manhattan, where my family, work, hospitals, etc are.
I rely to heavily on bus/6 Train...yellow taxis from city at night are not really an option due to high cost and distance (I don't feel safe in a taxi/cab going over all the highways and bridges late at night into the BX), so sometimes I don't go out to events that I'd like to and it's negatively impacting my social life.

Move to Inwood or Washington Heights - West of Broadway (B)
Pros:
In Manhattan, closer to my job and companies in my industry, closer to family friends, hospitals, etc
Area is getting better/safer (?)
I can go out more, get around more because I'll have more transportation options and not feel like I rely on one bus/train.

Cons:
More expensive (by a couple hundred dollars)
I don't like the area aesthetically
Less safe than where I currently am (at least I perceive it that way)

Last edited by MissNina; 03-30-2011 at 09:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM

5,473 posts, read 10,413,565 times
I would choose A.

B= Ghetto

Inwood, Washington Heights and Parkchester.
Attached Thumbnails
Please Help Me Decide! Should I stay or go?-14dream.jpg   Please Help Me Decide! Should I stay or go?-transmanhattan.jpg   Please Help Me Decide! Should I stay or go?-02oval.jpg  

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 03-30-2011 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM

10,919 posts, read 28,681,155 times
Stay in Parkchester and commute to Manhattan. It's not too far at all, and you have the subway and express bus options. If you don't like Upper Manhattan, and perceive it to be not as safe as where you currently live, then by all means don't move. Why put yourself in a situation where you need to pay more for a place that you like less?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks, I should mention I've read crime is up in Parkchester too and I do get scared sometimes (but overall feel safe), and in the area I'm looking at in Inwood isn't that bad either, but is still slightly sketchy, I'd say crime is about the same, but I'm already used to where I live now...It's mostly the commute I have trouble with, I don't venture out at night, which is why I feel I've been safe, but it's keeping me from attending events I want to attend. At least in Manhattan I can catch a taxi uptown, yes it's still expensive to do this, but at least I'd have that option. This is my biggest dilemma along with what I listed above.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 AM

5,473 posts, read 10,413,565 times
Those that are moving to Parkchester says crime is down, people moving out says crime is up...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 AM

9,014 posts, read 22,143,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Stay in Parkchester and commute to Manhattan. It's not too far at all, and you have the subway and express bus options. If you don't like Upper Manhattan, and perceive it to be not as safe as where you currently live, then by all means don't move. Why put yourself in a situation where you need to pay more for a place that you like less?
I agree..I just don't see moving to Inwood from Parkchester.There is no real benefit that would justify the expense/hassle of moving.It would be a lateral move AT BEST. Save the move until you are really moving to something Much better and Much more convenient.I'm not sure Inwood is worth it.

What field do you work in and why are you so sure your next job will be in Manhattan? Wouldn't it be better to know for sure where your next job is before moving ?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM

I work in corporate America, and most offices of the companies I want to work for are located in Manhattan. It really is only about the location for me, I'm really stumped! I agree it would just be a lateral move, but I came to Parkchester for only 2 years, and have stayed 4, if I keep putting it off, I'm scared I'd be here forever, nothing wrong with it, I'm not sure if now is the time to make a move. What is there to wait for, every time I have to leave early from somewhere I am hanging out to catch the express bus or train, I tell myself I love Parkchester, but have to move. Unfortunately all I can afford are Inwood, Wash Hgts. Does it make a difference that I'd be moving to the "better" parts of Inwood/Wash Hghts?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:45 PM

9,014 posts, read 22,143,517 times
According to the timetable, the running time on the 6 train from 42nd st /Grand Central to Parkchester is about 35 minutes.I know the 1 train must be even longer from let's say 42nd St/Times Sq to 207th St or 210th St.Not sure about the A train. I'm sure it's faster but is it really faster by that much ? I mean are you thinking about moving for a 5 min shorter train ride ?

Why would you have to leave earlier from somewhere in Manhattan to get to Parkchester than to Inwood ?

I moved to The Bronx from Brooklyn and cut my commute from well over an hour to 15 minutes.That was definitely worth a move. An hour saved each way every day ! 10 hours/week ! I used to get up at 5 and leave my Brooklyn apartment at 6 to make sure I'd get to work by 7:30.Now I don't even leave until 7:15 most of the time.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-30-2011 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM

1,410 posts, read 4,997,271 times
Have you mentioned what side of town your job is on? If it is on the east side, I say no way to Inwood/Washington Heights. I jokingly say to me husband, "We can't get there from here."

How far downtown are you socializing? Luckily, I have friends in Hell's Kitchen and we often share a cab home and I'll only end up spending 15-20 bucks from Chelsea or the West Village. But if I'm on my own, it's closer to $30.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,000,532 times
You haven't presented a compelling argument for why you should move. If you save the money you might spend moving plus the extra money that would go into renting a more expensive place, that adds up to quite a bit of cab money.

I don't live in the Bronx so I don't really understand what makes it unsafe to take a cab at night to get home. Is it drunk drivers you're worried about on the road? I do understand the expense; however, I think you should just spend it and think of rent money saved. It should equal out in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City