Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM

154 posts, read 449,256 times

Advertisements

Move to Queens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
I take the A frequently into Bed-Stuy and never have any problems.

I usually ride at night. I prefer to sit in the last car because it's less crowded that way. I'm also usually wearing one of my expensive chains and watches, because they tend to go well with my wardrobe. I've whipped out expensive electronic devices on the train without any problems (iPod touch AND a BlackBerry--often at the same time). Finally, I've never had any issues whenever I count my cash--I usually have a large wad of bills with me at once and sometimes I need to keep track of how much money I have at the end of the day. Again, never any problems.

Then again, I'm 6'2", 242 lbs, Black, male, and have a pissed off expression on my face most of the time. Still, I've had yet to encounter a single issue. Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
I never had a problem with the A train--and when I was still a conductor, I worked on it quite often. It isn't nearly as much fun when it starts running local through Brooklyn, but I never ran into the horror stories that so many people apparently love to tell.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkFebruary View Post
Driving has a few issues. Money being the main one. I really can't afford $15/day to park, the $10/week avg in tolls and the gas. Plus, we only have one car and my wife needs it a lot for her and the kid.

We absolutely love the apartment we found, and the area seems to be good too. The only thing making us question the decision is my early commute.
I take it you're commuting into Manhattan?

JFYI, there is a bus which goes from the area to Flatbush Avenue IRT stop in Brooklyn. The bus used to be the old Green Line bus, stopped in front of Lord's Bakery in Brooklyn. The city took over the line several years back. It stops at Reiss Beach, from there I imagine it goes to 116th.

Not sure if it runs 24/7, nor what time is the first bus, but its a doable commute. A good many people who live between The Junction and Kings Plaza use it daily. Not sure how many continue on across the bridge, but I wouldn;t be surprised if others are avoiding the A train.

The commute into Manhattan is roughly an hour. Though it may be subjective, as to which is the safer line, 2/5 vs A.

A low cost, low insurance hoopdee might be the answer. Cheap and reliable just to get you to a better subway.

Anyway, good luck. I know the good rents for decent apts is hard to pass up.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 PM

69 posts, read 252,320 times
im not sure about that section but the A train does stop through some horrible places in brooklyn. I know that on Friday and saturdays you should be very cautious because thats when people are coming back from parties and acting a fool.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,919 times
Default Take a Test Trip

Why don't you leave early enough to go out of your way to get to work one night? You can go to the subway station near your potential new apartment and travel to work from there. That way you will have a chance to experience your new daily commute before you make your decision. Give it a try for yourself, and just see how comfortable you feel with it.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
It would be extremely risky. First of all, you won't be taking the A train. You'll be taking the shuttle to Broad Channel and there you'll get the A train. These trains do not run frequently like other lines and the wait at Broad Channel can be cold, windy, and long. Also, when we get any substantial amount of snow as we did this year, the train does not run. I wouldn't feel too comfortable even waiting at the 116th St. stop at 3:30 AM. It will be rather deserted. Check the schedule before you committ yourself to this plan. If the bus is running at that hour, it would be probably better to take it and then pick up the train in Brooklyn or Queens. There are good reasons why apartments in the area seemed reasonable.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:36 AM

4 posts, read 7,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalimalina View Post
Why don't you leave early enough to go out of your way to get to work one night? You can go to the subway station near your potential new apartment and travel to work from there. That way you will have a chance to experience your new daily commute before you make your decision. Give it a try for yourself, and just see how comfortable you feel with it.
This is something I was thinking about doing next week. It can't hurt to give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It would be extremely risky. First of all, you won't be taking the A train. You'll be taking the shuttle to Broad Channel and there you'll get the A train. These trains do not run frequently like other lines and the wait at Broad Channel can be cold, windy, and long. Also, when we get any substantial amount of snow as we did this year, the train does not run. I wouldn't feel too comfortable even waiting at the 116th St. stop at 3:30 AM. It will be rather deserted. Check the schedule before you committ yourself to this plan. If the bus is running at that hour, it would be probably better to take it and then pick up the train in Brooklyn or Queens. There are good reasons why apartments in the area seemed reasonable.
I'm aware of the shuttle and transfer. From the schedules, it seems like it's normally only a 2 min wait at Broad. I'm currently at Sheepshead Bay Road on the Q, so I know what it's like to wait outside, sometimes for awhile. I'm fine with that. As far as the apartment itself goes, it's available because the management company requires 2 months security instead of one. We're completely fine with the neighborhood, did our research on crime around there, etc. It's the A train overnight, that's the only thing we're concerned about.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:08 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Not sure if it runs 24/7, nor what time is the first bus, but its a doable commute
It does run 24/7....late night service it comes once an hour.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
I'm a very non threatening looking female and get on the A train at 3:45am in Brooklyn to get to work and have yet to have any issues. Like someone else mentioned most people are just trying to get work. Hope that gives some insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City