Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times

Advertisements

What responsibility does the agent hav in knowin if a property has the appropriate documents in order to list the apt for rent? I hav sect. 8 an contacted a broker who in turn showed me an apt. I exspressed my interest n was told that i was in the running with one other person (she has 2 small kids, this will b important later) i was given the apt based on the fact that my son was older (19). There were repairs that needed to b done to insure passage by section 8 we agreed on what they were, i signed a promise of payment to the broker for her fees, gave all personal docs requested as well as the package the landlord had to fill out. approx 2 weeks later i was advised by the broker that the landlord did not have a "certificate of occupancy" which is required in order to prove a dwelling is habitable she then told me that he had gone to the DOB n requested a "letter of No Objection" n he would be receiving said in approx 3 wks. After receiving assurances from the broker that all was well an i would b able to move in shortly i became concerened when after 3 1/2 wks still nothing i was in constant contact with the broker who continued to assure me all was ok. Upon completion of all repairs n modifications i went to the apt to inspect the work n tak measurements 3 days after this i was contacted by the agent and told that the landlord would NOT be renting to me because he remembered he had to rent to someone with SMALL children because of a lead abatement grant he had received. I have now wasted 4 3/4 months of my 6 month voucher 3 of which were on this. I know this has to be a breach of a verbal contract between myself n the landlord n i intend to seek legal recourse but i also feel the broker was negligent in her duties since the CofO didnt exist n still doesnt at this date so this apt never should have been on the market in the first place what can i do leagally about this? I am now faced being homeless if i dont find an apt in the next 47 days n i will loose my sect. 8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM

979 posts, read 4,457,300 times
The broker has no responsibility to you regarding the C of O. In fact it sounds like she was pretty honest .
You intend to "seek legal recourse"? Where do you get the balls and for that matter, the money to seek "legal recourse" given you're already suckling the public teet.

Last edited by modsquad81; 03-31-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaapartment View Post
the landlord would NOT be renting to me because he remembered he had to rent to someone with SMALL children because of a lead abatement grant he had received.
if that's the reason, i would guess that nothing else in your post matters. i would also guess the r/e agent is not responsible for a landlord's brain/memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaapartment View Post
CofO didnt exist n still doesnt at this date
then how is the other seeker (your competitor) being given permission to move in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City