Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I agree with the general sentiment that West Harlem is safer than East Harlem. (Though somehow the guys on the other side managed to get all the amenities and shopping...)
It's not just "somehow". The real estate lobby that controls almost everything in this city is trying to make East Harlem disappear and become just the UES.They are already advertising it as such and there are lots of people who live in E Harlem and actually think they live on the UES .Lots of money to be made by this.The 2nd ave subway will cement E Harlem's march into oblivion.

Then they will have to either come up with a whole new name for The Bronx or just keep expanding the boundaries of Riverdale until it takes over the whole borough because the name "Bronx" is also tainted beyond salvation.

West Harlem is quite a bit safer than E Harlem IMO.Probably why they want to make it go away.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-03-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 AM

383 posts, read 1,315,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
West Harlem isn't as safe as East Harlem. In my opinion anyway.
Look into 116st near First ave...LOTS OF NEW BUILDINGS.
You wylin!!!
East Harlem is ghetto!!!

east harlem is always on the news for shootings and what not.

your thinking of upper eastside, which is much better then east or west harlem.

Harlem is like this
West Harlem- Nice by day, gets bad at night
Harlem-so-so by day, bad at night
east harlem- bad all times of the day.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s600 View Post
Hi,

my girl and I are currently living in the Financial District in a nice 1br.

We are thinking about moving into a cheaper 1br by the end of this year as I'm now working in the 50s (30 min commute from FD) + I'd like to save more money at the end of the month.

My girl started to send me apartment listings for Harlem; the area around 130-140 & 7th Avenue has new buildings and good prices.

Personally, I've looked at Harlem in 2008 and decided it wasn't for me - though the places I looked at were more in the 100-120th range and further East (looked pretty scary at the time).

Safety is paramount for me and I've read lots of different views on Harlem here.. I checked out the precinct stats but since areas change from block to block I'm not sure if it's that helpful.

Is it worth it to move up there to save some cash on a comparable or slightly nicer apartment?
Why not try a little but more south like the 110s to the 120s West of 5th?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 PM

15 posts, read 59,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why not try a little but more south like the 110s to the 120s West of 5th?
Hm, I'll try to get as far south as possible..

Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
I'm live in the 140's and Broadway. I've been here since November and haven't had any problems, although I hear it becomes a zoo during the summer.

My girlfriend and I have a decent one bedroom for $1125, so with your budget of double that I'm sure you could get a really nice place.

I work at odd hours of the night and have never gotten so much as an awkward glance on the street. I also drive and my car has never had anything happen to it (even with California plates on it for a while). My girlfriend is a little 100lb white girl and I don't believe she's had any problems either, although if she works late at night I'll walk her to the subway.

There's not a lot to do, but the rest of the city is a quick subway ride today. I had a doctor's appointment this morning and it took about 35 minutes from the time I walked out my door to when I was at his office in the financial district, including one transfer.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
West Harlem isn't that bad. You just have to use common sense. I lived there as a 110 pound white female and never had any problems. The only thing I suggest is taking a cab home if it is late at night. That's the only time I've ever seen it get sketchy. Do that and you will be fine.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:29 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s600 View Post
Hi,

my girl and I are currently living in the Financial District in a nice 1br.

We are thinking about moving into a cheaper 1br by the end of this year as I'm now working in the 50s (30 min commute from FD) + I'd like to save more money at the end of the month.

My girl started to send me apartment listings for Harlem; the area around 130-140 & 7th Avenue has new buildings and good prices.

Personally, I've looked at Harlem in 2008 and decided it wasn't for me - though the places I looked at were more in the 100-120th range and further East (looked pretty scary at the time).

Safety is paramount for me and I've read lots of different views on Harlem here.. I checked out the precinct stats but since areas change from block to block I'm not sure if it's that helpful.

Is it worth it to move up there to save some cash on a comparable or slightly nicer apartment?
I'm not the biggest fan of 7th avenue. I like it a bit more further west. In any case it really is a block by block type of thing. I'm curious why you seemed to have honed in on that particular area when the ranges are pretty similar throughout Harlem and Washington Heights.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Yes, exactly my sentiment. Harlem is better to me the further west you go. West of Broadway on the Hudson is quite lovely, actually. A beautiful place to live. But then again, you pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City