Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 PM

54 posts, read 155,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Load of crap, I'm sorry. And don't go citing that one kid who got chased onto the belt parkway years ago.

These pasty, hipsters get mugged and robbed of their i-products all the freakin time these days.
Why do people lump all whites in poorer neiborhoods as hipsters? most people use mp3s these days when walking its not s hipster thing.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And how would you know that Hipsters are constantly being robbed? B/c you know someone who was robbed? Someone came on the forum and said so? Hipsters come in all colors...and everyone has i-products these days. Sounds like the usual stereotypes to me.

If only it were "one kid years ago"...NYC would be a much better place for everyone.
Hipsters are power mac users. In wiiliamsburg an apartment got burglarized, four mac book pros vanished except for a dell laptop. I know hipsters, transpkants and yuppies.whos entire daily lives revloves around steve jobs and his isheep cult, I find if disgusting. Im still stuck on my 3 year old itouch with skullcandy headphones. I

Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
And I know blacks whose daily lives revolve around drugs and thuggery..does that make it applicable to all of them? Why is it ok to stereotype and despise Hipsters, especially those white ones, but it's not ok to stereotype people of color? Don't see a problem here?

This is off topic though. The reality is a white person going into Harlem or the Bronx will be fine, unless of course they are looking for trouble. But really...no matter where you go if you seek trouble you will find it. It's 2011, not 1975.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
And how would you know that Hipsters are constantly being robbed? B/c you know someone who was robbed? Someone came on the forum and said so? Hipsters come in all colors...and everyone has i-products these days. Sounds like the usual stereotypes to me.

If only it were "one kid years ago"...NYC would be a much better place for everyone.

I know because I have a couple of buddies who are cops. They tell me about it all the time. Granted these particular guys work in north brooklyn and parts of harlem, but still.

And yeah, that is just my word against yours. I get that too. But for you to sit here and say that blacks and hispanics are so much more likely to get victimized in white neighborhoods than vice versa, is a complete fallacy. It is simply what you want to say and what you want others to believe.

To be honest, the crimes where you hear about people's race/ethnicity/gender/orientation the most seem to be blacks on gays and/or mexican (or central american) gays.

Last edited by availableusername; 04-01-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Let me educate the Aussie. In NYC, the people who are attacked by far are people of color by whites..it is rarely the case that "whites" are attacked by people of color...it just doesn't happen. The population which should be most afraid are black and hispanic people entering "white" communities, as they are historically met with anger, ridicule, and violence (and still happening unfortunately). Whites entering communities of color historically, and currently, have nothing to fear except their own internalized victimization by the "evil brown and black people."

There are hundreds if not thousands of young "white" female teachers who travel via public transportation to poor communities of color, and I don't think there has been in case in my memory where they were attacked or assaulted in any way...so I am pretty sure you would be ok.
Saying what no one wants to hear.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:58 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hipsters are power mac users. In wiiliamsburg an apartment got burglarized, four mac book pros vanished except for a dell laptop. I know hipsters, transpkants and yuppies.whos entire daily lives revloves around steve jobs and his isheep cult, I find if disgusting. Im still stuck on my 3 year old itouch with skullcandy headphones. I
So they like Apple products. How does that affect you?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
The reality is blacks are more likely to be the victim of crime by other blacks. But what we are discussing here is quite different: are whites more likely to be a target in a colored community, or are people of color more likely to be the target of crime in white communities. And history has shown over and over again, that the latter is true.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM

288 posts, read 566,684 times
Yeah, I know this is off topic, but what's it to you if "hipsters" use apple products? Who cares?

Also, when talking about East Williamsburg and Bushwick it is assumed that white people living there are all exclusively "hipsters" wanting to be "cool" or that were "conned" by an "evil landlord" into living in a "shady" neighborhood. 1) white people are not all hipsters 2) white people living in Williamsburg or Bushwick are not all hipsters 3) White people living in East Williamsburg/Bushwick oftentimes chose to live there because 4) White people are not all rich and funded by dad, as it is often assumed on this forum. 5) White people living in Bushwick do not automatically get robbed/jumped 6) a lot of people (including white people! gasp!) choose their neighborhood according to their income and the length of their commute. If you live on the L in Bushwick (say Morgan/Jefferson), your commute to Union Square is perfectly acceptable and the rent is affordable. And no, you are not an automatic target if you walk to the bodega at 10-11pm.

Sorry, but a lot of what's written here does not have anything to do with reality but more with wishful thinking that "hipsters" might be "getting what's coming to them" by people who think change in a neighborhood equals the end of the world...

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The reality is blacks are more likely to be the victim of crime by other blacks. But what we are discussing here is quite different: are whites more likely to be a target in a colored community, or are people of color more likely to be the target of crime in white communities. And history has shown over and over again, that the latter is true.
We're talking about present day neighborhoods and living situations correct? Not the 1960's? Lemme know.

Because if you would like to talk about other decades, we can talk about the 80's as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Yeah, I know this is off topic, but what's it to you if "hipsters" use apple products? Who cares?

Also, when talking about East Williamsburg and Bushwick it is assumed that white people living there are all exclusively "hipsters" wanting to be "cool" or that were "conned" by an "evil landlord" into living in a "shady" neighborhood. 1) white people are not all hipsters 2) white people living in Williamsburg or Bushwick are not all hipsters 3) White people living in East Williamsburg/Bushwick oftentimes chose to live there because 4) White people are not all rich and funded by dad, as it is often assumed on this forum. 5) White people living in Bushwick do not automatically get robbed/jumped 6) a lot of people (including white people! gasp!) choose their neighborhood according to their income and the length of their commute. If you live on the L in Bushwick (say Morgan/Jefferson), your commute to Union Square is perfectly acceptable and the rent is affordable. And no, you are not an automatic target if you walk to the bodega at 10-11pm.

Sorry, but a lot of what's written here does not have anything to do with reality but more with wishful thinking that "hipsters" might be "getting what's coming to them" by people who think change in a neighborhood equals the end of the world...

I never stated anything of the such, but thanks for chiming in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City