Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 AM

35 posts, read 110,559 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if I could have a little information on where we'd best fit in the NYC area. Here is a little information about myself:

I am a 20 year old female and my boyfriend of four years is 19. We are looking to make the move from Albany NY (myself, originally from Buffalo, NY) to a major city on the East Coast for his career. He just graduated college for TV Production and is currently working at our local news station as an intern.

He is done with the internship in October and instead of taking our planned trip to Amsterdam, we are passing it up for now to move to a major city. I have been looking into Philly, Chicago, Boston, Miami and of course - NYC.

We are young and fun. We love to be outdoors. We are friendly, not big on partying, actually we only drink a couple beers once every few months at most, but we do like nightlife just incase and of course we'd like a nice neighborhood with people our age.

We, more than anything, want something relatively safe, a studio+ with a max. of $1200.00/month before utilities. ABSOLUTELY somewhere that we wont need a car to get around (we want to sell our cars before we leave Albany). Is there somewhere that you can specifically think of where we should look for an apartment? Please let me know! Thank you so, so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
you could try Astoria, Queens. If you don't have jobs before you come it might be possible to rent from a private landlord who won't require the 40x income thing.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
If he wants to be in TV in NYC it's usual to pay ones dues to get experience at smaller stations elsewhere. It is extremely unusual for anyone to break right into the NYC TV or radio markets. I would suggest that he get more experience (more than an internship) before trying to get into one of the two most competitive markets with respect to communications in the US (the other one is LA)

My father was in the TV business until his retirement and would give the same advice when people would ask for jobs with the kind of background you're coming with.

Best of luck.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 PM

I really appreciate that Vira, thank you so much. However, we were going to look into doing more freelance-work than News Stations. The internship is just something he has to do for graduation. Thank you for looking out for us though, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:11 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
If you're young and willing to "pay your dues" to break into a competitive industry you might as well do it in New York. It's not easy, but once you have New York experience you can get a job anywhere. This is not true of a place like Miami or Philly. Is it a rational prejudice? No, but it exists, so you might as well use it to your advantage. Check out the Mayor’s Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting (NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting). They have lots of internship postings, etc.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:46 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie&Jerry View Post
ABSOLUTELY somewhere that we wont need a car to get around (we want to sell our cars before we leave Albany).
In my opinion, New York is the only city in the US where you can live a truly great lifestyle without a car (unless you use a car sharing service).

There are no transit/walking-accessible movie theaters in Philadelphia for instance, other than some small art house/indie theaters. Chicago is only doable in the neighborhoods right around the Loop.

Look for apartments on craigslist. Be prepared for a long process.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Off the bat, I would cross Miami off the list from the car perspective alone. You do need a car in South Florida, even if you get around primarily by public transportation, since the possibility of evacuations for hurricanes does exist, and I'd not want to rely on any sort of transit evacuation. Parts of the Miami area are great, however, so I am not knocking it on that basis, it's the car perspective.

New York is really what you have described, especially being car-free. Chicago does work, but you really do need a Zipcar or similar service, though this can come in handy in NYC as well for those times you absolutely need a car to do some large shopping. You can also get around Boston fairly well without a car.

Check out some neighborhoods and see what's offered in NYC. You can find something in one of the boroughs for your budget, though I'd exclude Manhattan as that price point is going to be very tough, even for a studio.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Thank you all so, so much you have been so helpful. We have actually decided to keep one car for my boyfriends equipment so I have a few more options. I agree that NYC is the best/only city that truly can be lived in without the use of a car. Thanks so much - oh, and I am prepared for a long process haha. Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City