Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 PM

200 posts, read 324,592 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!!

I live in the Bronx around Pelham Pkwy area & I love to video planes. I'm fascinated by them b/c their just SOOO....etc. HUGE & LOUD (tho' I wouldn't like living or standing near the runway @ LaGuardia)!!! I know they fly over the Throggs Neck area, but I heard that they fly around the Whitestone Bridge. Now I found out that there's a park near the Whitestone called "Ferry Point Park" & someone told me that if I go there (to Ferry Point Park) this might be a better location to film planes rather then going all the way to the Pelham Bay - Throggs Neck area. & my friend, also said that it's better over there (Ferry Point) b/c they get Much Lower b/c they're getting closer to the airport. So, I don't know if he's right, but could anyone tell me if it's true that I would be able to take great vids from Ferry Point??

Do they fly Over the Park, or Over the water in front of the Park?? I know they Definitely fly over Soundview, but someone else in my area told me that IT'S EXTREMELY LOUD there (Soundview). So, I rather stay away from going Deaf.

Anyway, if someone could give me some better insight about Ferry Point Park in relation to the Planes flying into LaGuardia I would greatly appreciate & am Open to ANY Info. Thanks MUCH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default i have flown in from Atlanta

4 times in the past 3 years most of the time the plane seems to fly over the Hutchinson River Pkwy before bearing a bit west to meet the runway, so really when it is lowering down it's more over Clason's Point than Ferry Pt park, so it's not directly over FPP but you still can see it

last time i flew in it seemed to go up the LI Sound coast before making a sudden turn over the sound and back in

last year it approached from NJ which was kind of wild, most of the flights i notice seem to come in from NJ, fly over the Westchester/Bronx border, then south over the Hutch to the airport

Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Try beechwood gated community in soundview or even castle hill gleason point. A qurter mile away to half mile away is runway 22. I visited beechwood condos they overlook the path of runway 22. You can actually feel the jet blast. I live in mott haven planes usually fly on approach to runway 13 over bruckner boulevard.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
4 times in the past 3 years most of the time the plane seems to fly over the Hutchinson River Pkwy before bearing a bit west to meet the runway, so really when it is lowering down it's more over Clason's Point than Ferry Pt park, so it's not directly over FPP but you still can see it

last time i flew in it seemed to go up the LI Sound coast before making a sudden turn over the sound and back in

last year it approached from NJ which was kind of wild, most of the flights i notice seem to come in from NJ, fly over the Westchester/Bronx border, then south over the Hutch to the airport
RLRL

Thank You for your useful/insights, but I have a couple of questions:

1) What do you mean about that you "so it's not directly over FPP but you still can see it"?

2) How much of it (planes) would you see if you're standing @ the Edge of Ferry Point Park facing Soundview?

Plus, I saw some pics of "Clason" that seem deserted or maybe dangerous to walk around (that is getting hurt), but then I saw a couple of pics of an Oval like shape w/ 2 flags & another pic of an Airplane flying over the field.

3) So, if I stood in the Oval or in the Field would I be able to get a good shot??

Or
3a) Maybe you could suggest where I can find Pics of diff. areas that I can stand to get a good shot??!! I don't know if you could send pics here from this site.

4) Lastly, & I don't mean to sound Stupid, but when these planes fly over &/or get lower are they A LOT LOUDER??

Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

YouTube - Cularis over Whitestone Bridge.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 AM

RLRL

Thank You for your useful/insights, but I have a couple of questions:

1) What do you mean about that you "so it's not directly over FPP but you still can see it"? **on a map FPP isn't directly in line with LaGuardia, FPP on a map is in line with the Whitestone bridge and Whitestone Queens. on a map Clason's Point is in line with LaGuardia. the plane bore slightly to the right (west) when it went down to land when i looked out the window

2) How much of it (planes) would you see if you're standing @ the Edge of Ferry Point Park facing Soundview?**I'm no scientist when it comes to these jumbo jets but i'd imagine you'd see an awful lot of the plane at that point

Plus, I saw some pics of "Clason" that seem deserted or maybe dangerous to walk around (that is getting hurt), but then I saw a couple of pics of an Oval like shape w/ 2 flags & another pic of an Airplane flying over the field.

3) So, if I stood in the Oval or in the Field would I be able to get a good shot?? **it's so close I would imagine you would get a good shot but remember many of those planes are coming down quickly over the E River or Flushing bay before touching down so it would depend. if you were looking at the plane from the rear you may not see much but if you had more of a side angle view when it was landing you might see more

3a) Maybe you could suggest where I can find Pics of diff. areas that I can stand to get a good shot??!! I don't know if you could send pics here from this site.**try googling something like "pictures of landings and take offs at LaGuardia" tho these days not sure if they let anyone take pics of planes inside the airports, you may have to see if anyone has pics they took in The Bronx or Queens online

4) Lastly, & I don't mean to sound Stupid, but when these planes fly over &/or get lower are they A LOT LOUDER??**I live in central Riverdale, they fly directly over my apartment, then skirt the city line, then head south, you can see them descending in the distance till you can't see them anymore. some sound loud over my apartment, but most don't seem to make a lot of noise. i remember flying back from Atlanta, when you hear the engine thrusters reverse (sometimes you can feel it thru the floor of the jet, yikes!!) when the plane comes into the NY area it must sound pretty noisy at that point, but i would guess that they generate a lot of noise during take off and landing

Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Default try this link

it looks interesting

LaGuardia Airport Planespotting Guide | NYCAviation

Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 AM

Default you know what

i looked at the map in the link i gave you and now it looks like LaGuardia is in line with Hunts point rather than Clason Point, so i might have been a little off in what I said before

FPP would be northeast of LaGuardia so the plane would have to fly at a southwest angle in order to pass over FPP

Old 04-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i looked at the map in the link i gave you and now it looks like LaGuardia is in line with Hunts point rather than Clason Point, so i might have been a little off in what I said before

FPP would be northeast of LaGuardia so the plane would have to fly at a southwest angle in order to pass over FPP
RLRL,
Thanks for the Link. I'm familiar w/ that - that's how I knew about "Planeview Park". I did go there to check things out (w/out cam or camera) to see how it was in "REAL LIFE" compared to those YouTube vids that other people put up from the park. However, a friend of mine who lives out in Queens suggested that I Don't go there w/ a Cam or Camera b/c of High Security (b/c of the Terroists going after the Airports or Planes like in Moscow & that any location around the Airport would be considered as a good Target for Terroists so that's why there's Tight security. Matter of fact, my friend in Queens told me that if you go to the Marina where Citi-Field is there are Cop Security there in the Parking lot on guard. ).

So, I rather not go around the Airport. BUT those 2 spots - "Ferry Point" & "Clason Point" Parks seem to be more suitable b/c:

1) You won't be bothered by Security or Cops suspicious of Terroist Activity

2) It's a Lot Closer to home (Bronx). I don't have to go out of my way traveling to Queens by taking 5 Million Buses or Trains.

SO, I just want to Vid Planes Flying TO LaGuardia in the Whitestone Bridge vicinity. I know they make that turn when they go over the Hutch & I remember when I came home from Nashville, TN I saw me going over the Hutch where Monsigr. Scanlon is & seeing the Whitestone Bridge on my left. But, like I mentioned I wasn't sure Which Park would be good to film them coming around the Whitestone over the East River TOWARDS LaGuardia.

PLUS, after you gave me the "Clason Point" info. I went online to see pics of "Clason" & I DID see a pic w/ a Plane Going Over it (looked like it was flying over some field w/ LAMPOSTS Parallel to the East River). So, I think you may be right after all.

What it really comes down to this is that it really doesn't matter whether the planes flies Over 1 of these Parks (tho' that'll be such a GREAT Shot!!) it's just that like I've said I just want to film them Flying LOWER Going TOWARDS LaGuardia.

Anyhow, I did my research on how I can get to "Clason Point" which is really easy to get to by Train & Bus., but

What Do You Suggest??

"Clason Point" OR "Ferry Point"??

I don't know how to send pics here nor send an attached link, but here's the Web of "Clason Point" that I saw the pic of the Plane flying over.

Clason Point Park, Clason Point, The Bronx

Or does it Not Matter which Park is better??!!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Bronxguynese,

Thanks for the YouTube vid. LOL!! I thought that was Hilarious!!! But I got the point you were making. However, I just want to Vid Planes Flying TO LaGuardia in the Whitestone Bridge vicinity. I know they make that turn when they go over the Hutch & I remember when I came home from Nashville, TN I saw me going over the Hutch where Monsigr. Scanlon is & seeing the Whitestone Bridge on my left. But, like I mentioned I wasn't sure Which Park would be good to film them coming around the Whitestone over the East River TOWARDS LaGuardia.

Anyway, I went online to see pics of "Clason" & I DID see a pic w/ a Plane Going Over it (looked like it was flying over some field w/ LAMPOSTS Parallel to the East River).

But what it really comes down to this is that it really doesn't matter whether the planes flies Over 1 of these Parks (tho' that'll be such a GREAT Shot!!) it's just that like I've said I just want to film them Flying LOWER Going TOWARDS LaGuardia.

Anyhow, I did my research on how I can get to "Clason Point" which is really easy to get to by Train & Bus., but

What Do You Suggest??

"Clason Point" OR "Ferry Point"??

I don't know how to send pics here nor send an attached link, but here's the Web of "Clason Point" that I saw the pic of the Plane flying over.

Clason Point Park, Clason Point, The Bronx

Or does it Not Matter which Park is better??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City