Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

It's similar to going into a Toys R Us but with only girls. So, there is lots of screaming, crying, tantrums, expensive things, and annoyingness. I have only been to the one in Chicago but that's how it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Okay. NYC Board = unhelpful CHECK
This is so hilarious. This board has gone out of its way to figure out commutes, neighborhoods, schools, etc. for complete strangers.

Whether or not I approve of the blatant consumerism of American Girl, asking how much the restaurant costs when it is all laid out on the website is simply bizarre to me.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I went about 5 years ago so I am sure there have been changes. I made reservations for the afternoon tea months in advance for a weekday. It was pricey, but it was for a special birthday. The food and the service were excellent. We didn't bring a doll with us so the hostess offered to lend us one to sit at the table with us. We had a great waiter who was a riot, like out of an English victorian novel. The doll was served as well as us so we split her food and ate it ourselves. They used to have a show/review which we did not see. It used to have a good reputation. We just walked around the store. We didn't buy anything, but we enjoyed looking at the hair salon and the doll hospital. Fortunately, I wasn't with any demanding kids and they understood in advance that we were only going for the tea.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Please don't subject your 4 year old child to this hideous,mindless brainwashing/indoctrination school.It will set her on the wrong path and she will grow up with a warped sense of values.No child needs to be immersed in the destructive messages that this place is exuding.
American Girl Place Mocks 6 Year-Old For Having A Doll From Target, Refuses To Style The Doll's Hair - The Consumerist

$20 to style a DOLL'S HAIR?? There's something really wrong with the world.

OP, sorry if people told you what they really think, instead of what you want to hear, but -- Welcome to NY!

We did the American Girl doll thing, as well as the books, etc. but I drew the line at buying the doll 'accessories', changes of clothing, etc. because it cost more to kit out that doll than it would to clothe a real child. That's kind of messed up.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Whether or not I approve of the blatant consumerism of American Girl, asking how much the restaurant costs when it is all laid out on the website is simply bizarre to me.
I also asked which days would be better to go and for reviews of it, if you read my question all the way through. I did find the prices on the website after the fact, but still have no clue where you see what food choices you have when getting there on that website. Sometimes having reviews and perspective from people who have actually gone there is better then just calling and asking an employee how it is, of course they are going to tell me only good things.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
I also asked which days would be better to go and for reviews of it, if you read my question all the way through. I did find the prices on the website after the fact, but still have no clue where you see what food choices you have when getting there on that website. Sometimes having reviews and perspective from people who have actually gone there is better then just calling and asking an employee how it is, of course they are going to tell me only good things.
Isn't the whole point of Yelp.com to get reviews?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I went there long ago, although we didn't get doll hairstyling or go to the restaurant, but I don't remember what day of the week we went.

However, you are going in August, and New York is a huge tourist city, and things in general are more crowded on weekends, so I think it's safe to make a guess that there will be fewer people during the week.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
As I said in my first post. I had a good experience. We went on a weekday but I am glad that we had the reservations. I would recommend that you make your reservations as far in advance as possible. Even though we were there on a school day, the place was packed. We enjoyed the food although I wouldn't say that the portions were abundant, but they were adequate. We didn't go for the full meal. We were there for afternoon tea and everything was presented in a pretty and dainty way. You go for the atmosphere. We also enjoyed walking around seeing the dolls and accessories that I had no intention of ever buying but I was with children who were not demanding. We are history buffs at home so we enjoyed the whole AG concept, but I agree that the merchandise is pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: