Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,333 times

Advertisements

No offense, but I don't think ugly women get catcalls. Nevertheless, I detest men who catcall, and feel bad for the uncomfortable position it puts women in. Like someone said, these guys are lowlifes, they know they don't have any chance at these women, and so they try to somehow interact with her through this barbaric, immature action.

To the poster who wants girls to approach guys, it's society. Gentlemen have always courted the lady. Women like to be chased, men like to work game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 AM

810 posts, read 837,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Who said anything about roaming thugs with criminal backgrounds?? How would you know that? Fore the record, you can have thugs with criminal backgrounds at construction sites! Men of all colors have done it..and a white dude wearing a construction uniform is no different than a brown dude in jeans and t-shirt...it is the same thing to women....and it was the same thing to courts..which is why it was shut down on the construction sites.
kandle made a comment about those thugs who do catcalls in Harlem. And let's be fair now, green Martians also do catcalls.

Maybe you cannot comprehend nuance but there is a difference of degree in the manner men try to "chase" women. But I guess to you both cases are just the same. Guys saying to a woman she has a "fine body" from a distance. And a mob getting in front of a woman, touching her hair, telling her what they will do to her, then cursing her out when she moves away from them.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
I hate this also. I used to notice it a LOT when I was younger. I remember guys constantly honking the horns of their cars too, which was startling and unsettling. I once had a guy literally stop short in his car just to stare. It was ridiculous (and kind of funny honestly).

I don't notice it as much these days. I do get the occasional come-on, but I think its a lot better than it used to be. And yes, it's normally from a certain "group" of men. I tend to not walk around too much in Manhattan for this reason, it's very annoying when it does happen. Yesterday I took my lunch break and I walked down a block I don't usually go, and I felt uncomfortable, I heard whispers as I walked by, and lots of stares. I really hate it when I'm alone.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i just hate the way women undress me with their eyes...lol

I know, it makes me feel so uncomfortable....

Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
No offense, but I don't think ugly women get catcalls.

Believe it or not, some dudes are desperate as hell and if an "ugly" girl will give them half a hope they'll gladly take it. I've seen females who I didn't find attractive at all receive large amounts of attention before. Some of it is about what each person considers attractive and the rest is just how badly the next man wants companionship.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Believe it or not, some dudes are desperate as hell and if an "ugly" girl will give them half a hope they'll gladly take it. I've seen females who I didn't find attractive at all receive large amounts of attention before. Some of it is about what each person considers attractive and the rest is just how badly the next man wants companionship.

ha ha ha, but seriously true. I can be driving and stopping at red lights, the fattest, out of shape, ugliest girls/women can walk by, and I will see guys look at them like they ain't never seen a chick before in their lives....it amazes me, like WTF are they looking at?????

Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
So you are implying that these men actually believe cat-calling will get them a girlfriend? Or a conversation? Or even a look or any kind of acknowledgment at all?

I don't think so. I think these guys know they are socially inept with women and they lash out with cat calls as a surrender. They've been rejected so many times and feel pathetic and worthless. Deep down they know no woman would ever respond to one of their catcalls in a positive or inviting way.

And any woman who's street smart knows not even to acknowledge these d-bags. All in all, there are different areas, and different types of men who cat call, so it's hard to cast generalizations.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,259 times
"AYO MA"

works every time...

Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM

oh jeez lighten up, just ignore it, be thankful you are getting any attention at all.....

oops, did i say that????

Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 AM

810 posts, read 837,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
oh jeez lighten up, just ignore it, be thankful you are getting any attention at all.....

oops, did i say that????
When you get catcalls in prison halls then tell us your thoughts about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: