Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The problem with too many people is an inability to see beyond their own values. Unable to comprehend value outside their narrow knowledge and slim experience.

What possibly could be sensible about paying whatever it takes to live among the open and intelligent vesus living cheap among the nit-witted and those of limited mindset---you know the retarded!
I would rather live in a neighborhood with nit-witted, cheap, retarded people with limited mindset in a big apartment for a cheap price rather than live in 1 room apartment in a neighborhood with open and intelligent people...................because you don't live on the street, adventually you have to go home, and that is what i have, not just an apartment, but a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM

****sticks tongue out*****

Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowe224 View Post
Visted the other day.. loved the neighborhood.

I tried searching craiglist for brooklyn heights apartments but many other listings like prospect heights showed up..

does anyone know if it is possible to get a studio in brooklyn heights for $1800?
I don't mean to sound too much like a dinosaur, but real estate listings in the New York Times (and, for that matter, the Village Voice) will have a lot more under the heading "Brooklyn Heights."

As to a studio in that neighborhood for $1800...difficult to say. Even if you do find one, it isn't going to be nice and roomy. You'd probably get a lot more for the money in Prospect Heights.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM

129 posts, read 373,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I would rather live in a neighborhood with nit-witted, cheap, retarded people with limited mindset in a big apartment for a cheap price rather than live in 1 room apartment in a neighborhood with open and intelligent people...................because you don't live on the street, adventually you have to go home, and that is what i have, not just an apartment, but a home.
you did bring this on yourself.. why did you think it was appropriate to offer your input on my idea of living in a studio? With all do respect - no one cares what you think. I'm sure you are happy in your "home" wherever that is - but for the time being in my life, manhattan or brooklyn heights is the only thing that fits.

oh and your idea of not being able to "outgrow" a studio is absurd. How about after some time whe I need more space, I'll get a one bedroom or larger? Does that work?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM

I just don't understand the logic of wantinf to spend 1800 on one room. i really cannot figure that out. I like Brooklyn Heights just as much as the next person, but for a little further away, you could probably get more for your money.
it just seems (to me) like a waste of money. Not that it is wrong, but is it really that important to you to be there to spend that amount of money.....because once you move, and you will, it is like throwing money out the window.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
LOL at there not being "nit-wits" in brooklyn heights and other such affluent neighborhoods. I really can care less what schools you went to or how much money your family has passed down to you or how accepting you think you are of everybody's cultures ect. Some of the most self-righteous, caught in a bubble, wrapped up in themselves, elitist *******s I have ever met have come from/live in neighborhoods like brooklyn heights. The neighborhood is beautiful and the housing stock is pristine; but I'll take normal working class folk (of any race) over the nose in the air NIT-WITS that make up the majority of BH any day of the week.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM

129 posts, read 373,168 times
Quote:
I just don't understand the logic of wantinf to spend 1800 on one room. i really cannot figure that out. I like Brooklyn Heights just as much as the next person, but for a little further away, you could probably get more for your money.
it just seems (to me) like a waste of money. Not that it is wrong, but is it really that important to you to be there to spend that amount of money.....because once you move, and you will, it is like throwing money out the window.
sigh ..

Apparently you are having problems understanding and or comprehending - please let me know if this works.

The reason why you don't understand the logic of wanting to spend 1800 on one room is simple. It is because you are you. And well, I am me. You can not possibly understand, nor do you know my motives, my financial situation, the things I need socially, or other aspects of which make renting a studio in brooklyn heights attractive to me.

Makes sense?

Last edited by bcrowe224; 04-06-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 03:51 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Maybe I didn't answer your question.

Basic economics, the greater the demand the greater the cost.
Brooklyn Heights has a greater cost, because there is a great demand. More so than in most other places in Brooklyn and NYC.

Brooklyn Heights has many attributes, among which is a low "nit-wit" quotient. Such is part of the appeal and demand. Other neighborhoods, in fact most cheaper areas, have a higher "nit-wit" quotient. Consequently, indeed, it cost less to live among nit-wits, than among non-nit-wits, in other words the open and intelligent (of course this is in relation to BH).

The nature of BH is what it is, defined b y being the first urban pioneered neighborhood; the model for all others.

The attributes found in BH are worth the cost and the sacrafice in space. Of course, this is so only if one values what the neighborhood has to offer. What BH does have to offer is not in general appeal to nit-wits!

Clear?
Quote:
As I said, to each his own.

"...you don't live on the street...."

The language bespeaks the person. It also confirms my previous post. Some people simply have no conception of lifestlyes other than their own.

"...go home...."

Dude, you need to comprehend that many people require more from their neghborhood than you.

Let me ask a question: what is it that you *do* within the bounds of your neighborhood? In terms of, work, play, intellectual stimulation, bars, restaurants, engagement with your neighbors, etc. In other words how and to what level does your neighborhood enhance your life?

I'll give you a simple for example,

Your neighbor is playing music loudly. It is disturbing you. You go knock on your neighbors door.

Nothing is absolute, but generally, in differing neighborhoods you may get differing responses. For certain in some places you'll get the perverbial F you, I'll play my music as loud as I want. In other neighborhoods you'll get I'm sorry, I didn't realize, I'll turn it right down.

The point here is that in some places, generally, people act with civility. In other places they don't. In places where they do, most often the rent is higher than places that are uncivil.

Rent, mortgage, pays for more than just the physical space.

Another example, in some places the likelihood of your neighbor robbing your apartment when you're not home is high. In others its low. Of course, rent is most often highest in where the likelihood is lowest.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't mean to sound too much like a dinosaur, but real estate listings in the New York Times (and, for that matter, the Village Voice) will have a lot more under the heading "Brooklyn Heights."

As to a studio in that neighborhood for $1800...difficult to say. Even if you do find one, it isn't going to be nice and roomy. You'd probably get a lot more for the money in Prospect Heights.
Quite right. $1800 is likely to get you a leftover rent controlled/stabilized apt wit few, if any, modern improvements; and it will be time consuming to find.

Either that or it'll be a 4th floor walkup in a brownstone.

Maybe you could find a brownstone basement floor that's been split, front/back into studios. JFYI, in brownstones, the first floor is the basement, the second floor is the parlor floor. The top floor is the servant floor with lowest ceilings and the smallest rooms. The parlor floor has the highest and largest, respectively.

Luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I would never do it. I would never spend 1800 for one room. I also wouldn't spend 2500 for a one bedroom, for that amount of money you can be paying a mortgage and earning equity.

but then, i am not 20 years old so the priroties change as you get older....somehow being in "the middle of it" fade away really quick...
More questions for you:

Do you think $2500 will buy you a *house* in Brooklyn Heigths?

Depending it may get you a studio or 1bdrm coop. With 20% down you're looking at a $400K mortgage or BETTER.

Homes in Brooklyn Heights are in the multimillions. Demand is high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City