Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 AM

10 posts, read 42,940 times

Advertisements

so far all i got is on St.Nicholas & Starr (Between DeKalb & Jefferson Stations). east williamsburg, but im not sure. how is the nightlife in bushwick as far as bars, clubs?

im moving from nj.

Aly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,183,929 times
This obsession with Bushwick still baffles me.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,569,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
i'm baffled too. maybe it's a square footage thing? the real estate people have done a fine job it seems (for themselves)

Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 13,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The rents there a fairly reasonable i think is the main reason, plus Realtors like to sell as close to Williamsburg.
Buuuut.... I too am looking to move to Brooklyn with my teenage daughter, if anyone could suggest a better yet equally affordable neighborhood, with ,at the very least, a decent High School (although I am trying to get into a charter...fingers X'd), please share. We are planning on moving in the summer, i don't really give a $4!+ about nightlife and shops being 2 steps away from my building either, I am already very familiar with the subway system.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM

472 posts, read 1,540,071 times
Immoretull,

I highly recommend you use a website that will give you criminal reports, street-by-street such as www.spotcrime.com for your question regarding "what streets are safe." I live in the area just mentioned, and as a young single person I feel completely safe walking the main strip to wash clothes at 1am (as I have done on several occasions), going to the orgainc store (which is 24 hours) or C-Town late at night, and walking from the train station alone at 3am.

Night life is non-existent, unless you consider the reggaeton at the 24 hour bodega a club/bar! LoL. I live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath which has hardwood floors, stainless appliances, etc... the works; and I pay $1100. That is why I live in this area. The night life is HONESTLY not an amenity for this area. The best place for bars however is 4 to 5 stops away on the L train (Lorimer/Bedford) So if a 5 minute train ride is not a hassle, you're covered.

I recommend touring places that you are interested in. Talk to the super. Talk to any neighbors that you can... but most importantly, come back at midnight and walk the area. See if you feel the same as you did in the daytime. That's what I did. Needless to say, I felt just fine.

I hope that my experience helps you in some way. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM

840 posts, read 2,436,122 times
i grew up right near there and am white as they come. good luck hipster.

i see hipster chicks walking around half naked on dekalb when i visit my mom and wonder how much research they did before finding an apartment.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM

472 posts, read 1,540,071 times
You will quickly come to find that people like to make un-helpful comments, argue, and name call on the threads. Don't be insulted, it's a part of the culture here on City-Data. Although I cannot define for you what a "hipster" is, they seem to neither be liked, nor tolerated here on the forums by several posters. Proceed with this knowledge...

Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenerik View Post
The rents there a fairly reasonable i think is the main reason, plus Realtors like to sell as close to Williamsburg.
Buuuut.... I too am looking to move to Brooklyn with my teenage daughter, if anyone could suggest a better yet equally affordable neighborhood, with ,at the very least, a decent High School (although I am trying to get into a charter...fingers X'd), please share. We are planning on moving in the summer, i don't really give a $4!+ about nightlife and shops being 2 steps away from my building either, I am already very familiar with the subway system.
Kensington and Midwood? Safer, better schools, a bit longer commute. Bay ridge.

All will be pricier, but some Bushwick prices seem surprisingly high.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM

840 posts, read 2,436,122 times
kensington, gowanus, bay ridge would all be safer.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 42,940 times
im looking for a singles scene, artistic crowd/mix crowd, nightlife, museum, jump the train to get to union square, lounges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City