Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:52 AM

113 posts, read 317,993 times

Advertisements

First off, drop the tough gal attitude because no one is going to help you that way. Just because we are NY'ers does not mean we are a riled up bunch.

As another poster mentioned, NY is very expensive and this will determine your place here. It's a magnificent city for the arts but it drains alot out of you.

In general, a full-time receptionist with years of experience earns around 35k to 45k, maybe 50k at most (an executive receptionist maybe earns more). I did that job when I was 20 and a student and earned 28k. That kind of salary is not going to land you in the best of places to live. Now with a room-mate making the same amount, you could end up in a just-so-decent neigborhood. Unless your parents and/or friends are funding your way, I do not see it any other way.

I am not trying to give you a life lesson or steer your dreams, but at 17 enjoy your life and go to college, even if it is New York while you pursue your dreams. New York really has nothing to offer these days to young people without a college education, and if it does, its the lower paying jobs. Heck, I know plenty of grown people (30 and over) with bachelor degrees making 40k-45k in this city. Ever hear the saying "if you can make it here, you can make anywhere"? They're not just saying that. For those of us who live here we truly do have bragging rights.

We are also a city that is losing the middle class left and right. Either you're Bloomberg or you're Oscar the grouch, lol. Maybe not to the extent. Seriously, get your education and then go from there.

*P.S. - If you truly must come here, and I dont think you should, another option is a waitress job at a decent restaurant in Manhattan. But I can't see the steadiness in that.

Last edited by mrtracey; 04-09-2011 at 02:06 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 AM

76 posts, read 193,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtracey View Post
First off, drop the tough guy attitude because no one is going to help you that way. Just because we are NY'ers does not mean we are a riled up bunch.

As another poster mentioned, NY is very expensive and this will determine your place here. It's a magnificent city for the arts but it drains alot out of you.

In general, a full-time receptionist with years of experience earns around 35k to 45k, maybe 50k at most (an executive receptionist maybe earns more). I did that job when I was 20 and earned 28k. That kind of salary is not going to land you in the best of places to live. Now with a room-mate making the same amount, you could end up in a just-so-decent neigborhood.

I am not trying to give you a life lesson, but at 17 enjoy your life and go to college, even if it is New York. New York in itself really has nothing to offer these days to young people without a college education, and if it does, its the lower paying jobs. Heck, I know of plenty of grown people (30 and over) with bachelor degrees making 40k-45k in this city. Ever hear the saying "if you can make it here, you can make anywhere"? They're not just saying that. We are a city that is losing the middle class left and right. Either you're Bloomberg or Oscar the grouch, lol. Maybe not to the extent. Seriously, get your education and then go from there.
1. I don't know what attitude you're talking about and I'm a girl, not a guy.
2. You don't know me.
3. Notice I said SOME were that way and I bolded and italicized it for a reason.
4. You're not my parent
5. You do not and will not know my personal reasons for moving.

I'm not sure about college because I have other things I want to do. I am fine living in a modest space in a decent neighborhood as long as I'm happy. And I would be happy doing that. My best friend is getting a really good scholarship and we have agreed to use that and the money I bring in with my receptionist job.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 AM

113 posts, read 317,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKxoxo View Post
1. I don't know what attitude you're talking about and I'm a girl, not a guy.
2. You don't know me.
3. Notice I said SOME were that way and I bolded and italicized it for a reason.
4. You're not my parent
5. You do not and will not know my personal reasons for moving.

I'm not sure about college because I have other things I want to do. I am fine living in a modest space in a decent neighborhood as long as I'm happy. And I would be happy doing that. My best friend is getting a really good scholarship and we have agreed to use that and the money I bring in with my receptionist job.

Looks like you responded to my post, before I could fully edit it.

The scholarship issue changes some of the things.

You are your own person, but from your posts I recommend toning it down. Nothing like asking for help on a forum and then thinking you are a know-it-all. It is probably not your intention to be, but it comes across as that way. You're going to be in store for a lesson or two when you get here and find yourself living in a not so desirable area and pull that mess with one of those "hood-chicks". I hope you don't have an accent either because they will immediately know you are not from here and will pounce on it.

You'll respond back (I'm sure) but I will not be writing back, as I am not going to argue with someone who is the age of my youngest niece. We're trying to give you valuable advice and you're on the immature/ignorant bs.

Last edited by mrtracey; 04-09-2011 at 03:11 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 04:12 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
I'm mostly talking about Brooklyn/the Bronx. I'll be moving there soon and I'd just like to know some tips. I'm 18 and from south Texas (Rio Grande Valley). I'll be moving there with my best friend, we're both girls. What would it be like for us? What is the crime like (I'm assuming it won't be that bad since its the safest big city and I'm used to sketchy areas and am street smart because I live in a ghetto area but I'd like to know the type etc) Thanks.

*oh, and don't give me that BS about "don't make eye contact" etc SOME of you seem to think you're all tough just because you're from NY.
please see my advice: posts #9 and #2 in this thread -> //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...york-what.html

Old 04-09-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
please see my advice: posts #9 and #2 in this thread -> //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...york-what.html
Finally, a real answer. Thank you 。◕ ‿ ◕。

Old 04-09-2011, 08:56 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
And, this is the internet so don't take what I say so serious, Jesus.
If that's how you feel, then don't waste C-D members' time by posting here and asking questions.

Quote:
And once again, you do not know me so how would you know if I am immature or ignorant? Have a nice day. 。◕ ‿ ◕。 (that was me being facetious)
Clearly you are incredibly immature. We don't have to "know" you to get that. Your posts make it quite obvious.

Stay in Texas and grow up before you come here. The city will be much easier to handle if you drop your tough-guy attitude. And btw, "tough guy" is an expression that can apply to either male or female, before you jump down my throat about not being a guy.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
I see Hunts Point in your future.
Whats the matter with you?
No--we don't know you..not sure I'd wanna now...

Last night when we chatted--u seemed to be somebody I could talk to.
But now I see your acting tough again.

This move your planning WILL NOT TURN OUT GOOD FOR YOU.

This town will eat you up and puke you out.
Fast too.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,611 times
its all good. who didnt have an attitude at that age? when i was 17-18 i had a chip on my shoulder like none other. best of luck in the future, make a budget and stick to it as soon as you get here or else you'll be picking quarters off the street really really fast

Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
its all good. who didnt have an attitude at that age? when i was 17-18 i had a chip on my shoulder like none other. best of luck in the future, make a budget and stick to it as soon as you get here or else you'll be picking quarters off the street really really fast
Thank you

Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM

22 posts, read 87,672 times
Quote:
And I thought an attitude gets you places in NYC? or so you New Yorkers say. Hmmm... and I thought New Yorkers embraced individuality and strong opinions and speaking your mind. Guess I was wrong. You can't take anything but can dish it out. Typical.
Don't buy into what your TV tells you about NYC. There's nothing wrong with exercising kindness and humility no matter where you go in this world. Especially when you're moving to another city where you'll be depending on the good opinion of others to survive. If you think being a b*tch is what will get you places here, try going into your job interviews with that attitude. You won't last a month. You don't ask for answers and advice by immediately insulting a portion of the very population you're trying to join. In this world you get back what you give out. NYC is no different. Don't expect too many people here to excuse your attitude because you're young. If you're old enough to haul your butt across the country you're old enough to have some manners. Don't mistake condescension and rudeness for individuality. Come here with an attitude as if the world owes you something and it'll only make your stay short and unpleasant. But come correct with some common sense and respect and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City