Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times

Advertisements

as for "hood", in my youth/circles/family, "hood" was usually short for "hoodlum", although the latter was used more often. .. then at some point it morphed for some people into slang for "neighborhood" and that became the norm although i didn't use it.

back to neighborhood: if anything, i'll simply type nbrhd. it's easier than typing the whole word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
as for "hood", in my youth/circles/family, "hood" was usually short for "hoodlum", although the latter was used more often. .. then at some point it morphed for some people into slang for "neighborhood" and that became the norm although i didn't use it.

back to neighborhood: if anything, i'll simply type nbrhd. it's easier than typing the whole word.

LOL you guys should absolutely type whatever you want.

But in my head I'll always read it and think "man that really is douchey sounding".

Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post

But in my head I'll always read it and think "man that really is douchey sounding".
that's the thing. i agree with you precisely and i absolutely refuse to use 'nabe'

Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Quote:

"Douchey" meaning like something used by a woman? Maybe that is why it seems more appropriate to me, when used as a short version of the word neighborhood.

To me when typing a lot, it is more annoying to type out the word omitting vowels and silent consonants.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
That is exactly what it is for me. If I'm writing casually like on this forum, and I'm typing a lot I use it, I am just using in short for the word neighborhood.

I do not like the word "hood", because it is a term used mostly for Black and Latin neighborhoods. Like Black and Latin people have lost the ability to be neighbors to themselves, and others. This is definitely untrue.

If it turns out that most people posting on this thread are annoyed or insulted by the term "nabe" I'll stop typing it and use the entire correct term neighborhood.
I disagree with you on this.

The "hood" is the hood. *My* Hood!

The term is different, in that the term hood wasn't originated from 'without', but from within. It's not a 'label' put upon a place, but rather an indication, an endearment of 'possession'---that which one hails from.

MY hood, The Bush (for Flatbush); The Wood (for Midwood). Respectively, my place, my neighborhood, my school. Possession in every case, an indicator of membership, inclusion.

There's a certain coolness about it, which is the problem. Those from without usurp the term, and it becomes a 'label', as in THE hood as opposed to MY hood.

For example, I live in Astoria, but its NOT my 'hood'. I only live here. My 'hood' is Flatbush, specifically Prospect Lefferts Garden, and to a slightly lesser extent, Park Slope. To a larger extent Brooklyn itself. It is the place I eminate from, defines my values, self, the base of one's being. Only 'family' is a greater center.

This is the meaning of 'hood'. It's very much a NYC thing. It's an 'in' thing. It's a black/latino thing, for damn sure! Yet, for example, some Italian claiming Bensonhurst or Howard Beach as HIS 'hood', ya damn right!

What's freakin hilarious is some Transplant claiming "billyburg" as his 'hood'! Yeah, right! He's got NO hood. A pure usurper.

The Hood is the Hood, my hood, your hood, our hoods!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post

Not trying to be racial or anything, but you're white, right?

I remember those pre- and post- WWII movies where the term 'hood' was common to ethnic whites.

Back in the day, blacks used it to indicate neighborhood, and hoods were called 'hard rocks'. I'm talking about the 70s. Gangsters, hoods, thugs, wasn't the black venacular then.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 AM

136 posts, read 266,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

The term is different, in that the term hood wasn't originated from 'without', but from within. It's not a 'label' put upon a place, but rather an indication, an endearment of 'possession'---that which one hails from.

MY hood, The Bush (for Flatbush); The Wood (for Midwood). Respectively, my place, my neighborhood, my school. Possession in every case, an indicator of membership, inclusion.

There's a certain coolness about it, which is the problem. Those from without usurp the term, and it becomes a 'label', as in THE hood as opposed to MY hood.

For example, I live in Astoria, but its NOT my 'hood'. I only live here. My 'hood' is Flatbush, specifically Prospect Lefferts Garden, and to a slightly lesser extent, Park Slope. To a larger extent Brooklyn itself. It is the place I eminate from, defines my values, self, the base of one's being. Only 'family' is a greater center.

This is the meaning of 'hood'. It's very much a NYC thing. It's an 'in' thing. It's a black/latino thing, for damn sure! Yet, for example, some Italian claiming Bensonhurst or Howard Beach as HIS 'hood', ya damn right!

What's freakin hilarious is some Transplant claiming "billyburg" as his 'hood'! Yeah, right! He's got NO hood. A pure usurper.

Preach.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

That's fine we can disagree. Obviously I'm older than you. When I talk to my life long friends that I grew up with in Morrisania, and we talk about the our old neighborhood, we refer to it as "around our old way", or we may say "remember on Prospect, or remember on Freeman or something like that.

To me words are important in some ways because it actually influences thinking.

Leaving out the word neighbor before hood can take away the thought of community. You can just think of streets, and strangers. Especially if your association of the word can mean an abbreviation for something negative.

You are definitely correct it was created from within, however when some words or phrases are created from within, it tends not to stay within, and starts to take on a different meaning when picked up from those outside. Then it can turn to something different, and be picked up again by those that created it, and even they start to associate it with the different meaning.

Then that new meaning and the thoughts that go with it are accepted.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
I dunno what it is. I guess it just sounds pretentious to me.

It's probably not though. I'm sure it's just me being a arsehole.

It's definitely annoying. No question there.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:50 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets not forget Nolita on craigslists which means north of little italy! So far we have Nolita, fidi, noho, soho, tribeca, billyburg, dumbo, sobro, lic. Any other weird or strange real estate and hipsterish niegborhood marketing terms any one else wants to share?
I've seen this one floating around on the internet:

CraPennSta (Crap around Penn Station)
..........yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City