Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,439 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im currently living in Florida and am seriously considering moving to Manhattan. However, someone told me that Manhattan is totally overrun with hipsters and yuppies. I was just wondering if this is true or not and (if it is) what areas in NYC arent like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,834,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslim View Post
Hi, Im currently living in Florida and am seriously considering moving to Manhattan. However, someone told me that Manhattan is totally overrun with hipsters and yuppies. I was just wondering if this is true or not and (if it is) what areas in NYC arent like that.
If it was, what does it matter? Are you unable to live in a place with hipsters or yuppies? That is the most important consideration you are taking into account? Whew....good luck.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:04 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,784,517 times
What exactly do you think its like here?

Doesn't seem like you any solid idea, so why are you considering Manhattan?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,913,772 times
Quote:
I heard Florida is overrun with old people and retirees but this does not stop me from vacationing over there. Are you afraid of hipsters and yuppies? If so, you should get an apt in hunts points, east new york, brownsville. Other people will also chime in on non-yuppies/hipster areas.

In all serious:
NYC is a melting pot; it is overrun with a variety of people, culture, customs, languages, religion groups, etc. Therefore, it is not overrun by hipsters and yuppies. What is your purpose of moving to NYC?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,986 times
I think the upper west side is pretty cool. Recently moved here myself.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,225,220 times
both hipsters and yuppies make for good people watching. they are awesome to make fun of!!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,548,219 times
OP, I'm moving out of the Upper West Side...so you'll have one less hipster to worry about if you move there....

Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrnicolas84 View Post

In all serious:
NYC is a melting pot; it is overrun with a variety of people, culture, customs, languages, religion groups, etc. Therefore, it is not overrun by hipsters and yuppies. What is your purpose of moving to NYC?
I think NYC is more of a series of small sects who have absolutely no interest in 'melting' with one another, and keeping their own traditions, foods, and cultures- and it's pretty clear where the street all of a sudden changes from Italian, to Chinese, to Gay, to Rich White Folk, to Poor People, back to Chinese.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,780,259 times
I'm gonna start counting how many times the word "Hipster" is used on this forum.

Thats one.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,501,499 times
Quote:
It's not true. Don't necessarily believe what "someone told you." And out of curiosity, why do you eliminate the other four boroughs from your list? If you're thinking about moving to NYC, most of the city isn't on the island of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City