Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 23,466 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to visit NYC for the first time, and we are trying to find a good hotel. We will have two boys with us (6 and 4). can anyone suggest a good area to stay?
We are planning to stay there for 3 nights and visit most famous places. but I have heard driving in NYC is tough, and parking is even worse. So is staying at Jersey city a good choise? (considering we have two young kids)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
What is your budget? And when do you plan on coming?

Staying in JC may save you money, but you will lose valuable time in transit. I don't have a car, but I'm sure another poster can weigh in on the pros and cons of parking just outside of the city and taking the train in or leaving your car in a lot in Manhattan.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Planning to come in early May. I hope to spend $100 or so each night for hotel. thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I suggest you stay in Long Island City, Queens (which is only a short subway ride from Manhattan):
Long Island City Hotels, Motels - New York NY - Long Island City Hotel Discounts

Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,817 times
I also recommend you stay in the Long Island City, Queens neighborhood. It's very close to Manhattan via subway, in a safe neighborhood, and is much cheaper than staying in Manhattan. Some recommendations for quality and affordable hotels in the neighborhood are the Verve Hotel (TripAdvisor reviews) and the Holiday Inn Long Island City (TripAdvisor reviews).

Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
I would advise that you up your expectations on how much a hotel costs. Even outside of Manhattan, $100/night is really cheap -- I would guess that "hotels" that fit that price are actually Motels in unsafe areas. Make sure you read TripAdvisor reviews before booking anything.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:27 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
I just came back from my first ever trip to NYC a week ago. It was absolutely amazing!!

We stayed in Jersey City, right next to the Newport PATH station. With the AAA rate, we paid $125/night here: Courtyard Jersey City Newport Hotel | Jersey City Hotels | Hotel in Jersey City

Since we were right by the PATH station, we took it into Manhattan every day. It stops near 33rd St, so you have to walk a few blocks to get to the good stuff or take the subway (we did once, just for fun) to get closer.

If you fly into Newark, NJ, you can even take public transit to the PATH station instead of taking a cab or renting a car. It was a little tedious (three transfers), but luckily everyone we encountered was more than willing to give us directions and instructions, so me made it with no problems.

Have fun! I can't wait to go back!!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
For $100 a night, you may be able to find a deal via Priceline or Hotwire (read betterbidding.com if you don't know how to work those systems). The cheapest months for hotel rooms are July and August.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM

thank you guys for your suggestion. I have used Priceline before and more than likely will use it again for this trip.
Odd thing is, according to my research, winning bids for long island city hotels seems more expensive than Madison Square Garden area hotels. Is Madison Square Garden a good area to stay, in terms of conveniency to and from most famous site-seeing places?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:03 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
Don't stay outside of the city. It's inconvenient and won't give you the right impression of NYC that you want for your first time. Definitely look into the Madison Square Garden area - that's right in the middle of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City