Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 AM

65 posts, read 165,194 times

Advertisements

It seems like you NY'ers dislike it more than you dislike New Jersey. I know its a bit more disconnected due to lack of a subway connection to the rest of the city and its harder to get to in general by any means of transit. But I don't think those are good enough reasons to disown an entire borough. I have a friend from Queens that says she reps "NYC and the 4 boroughs" lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,715 times
Who's disowning it or disliking it? I like Staten Island and enjoy going to visit friends there. Great family/neighborhood feeling. Their delis are great and so are the people. No complaints about The Rock from me.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:26 PM

369 posts, read 618,278 times
Status Island?

Old 04-03-2011, 01:11 PM

80 posts, read 400,354 times
Probably due to lack of stand out features, all the other boroughs have quite a bit going for them but what do people think of when Staten Island is mentioned..ferries?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 961,129 times
To be honest, I used to avoid sites like this because I had always heard these stories about how the rest of the city hates us and I would catch glimpses of it here and there when I would occasionally Google something and a thread from this site would surface or in places like the comment sections of Daily News stories and whatnot. Once I started coming on here though I realized that most of that is just hype. I mean, you have your regulars who have nothing nice to say but some people just need to hear themselves complain to make it through the day successfully. I've never met anybody in or from any other borough who has looked at me strange for saying I'm from Staten Island.

And as far as your friend goes, while I'll admit that Staten Island isn't any Disney World, it's not like Queens is a great deal more exciting or happening, lol. And I say that with all the love in the world for Queens. It's just the truth. People just have to find ways to raise their own self-esteem.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Nothing wrong wit SI.It's like the other 4 boroughs in that it has some really nice places,some really bad places and is always interesting.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:43 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Is your friend "from" Queens or is she from Queens? Because I have noticed that with a lot of noobs and/or recent transplants. Most new yorkers who aren't from staten island won't necessarily have anything bad or good to say about it. It's just another area. I also noticed you said "you NY'rs" so that led me to question your friend as well.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
I was playing Grand Theft Auto IV for xbox360 sometime ago, they all the boroughs plus North NJ but the creators of Rockstar games and Taketwo Interactive said that Staten Island themed Island would have been to boring for gamers and fans to enjoy and they left Staten Island out.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM

292 posts, read 753,259 times
There's nothing wrong with it. It just feels like a suburb - if you're ok with that, it's a fine place.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,816,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate City 202 View Post
It seems like you NY'ers dislike it more than you dislike New Jersey. I know its a bit more disconnected due to lack of a subway connection to the rest of the city and its harder to get to in general by any means of transit. But I don't think those are good enough reasons to disown an entire borough. I have a friend from Queens that says she reps "NYC and the 4 boroughs" lol.
So you think that's it, transit?

Seen or read the news in the last year?
know, anything at all re NYC politics?

SI is the place where Mexicans (or other Central/South Americans) are most likely to get a beat down.

SI is second only to Howard Beach, where blacks may run into bat weilding crowds.

SI is the red borough in a blue city. What could be more contrasting?

Insularity, Tribalism, Prejudice, Racism, NYC's last refuge, welcome to SI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: