Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,343,139 times

Advertisements

My definition of the "South Bronx" is simply based more on geography rather than socioeconomic status. IMO the South Bronx is everything from 132nd to 165th (or thereabouts, about 30 blocks), the Central Bronx is from 165th to about Fordham Rd, which is about 30 blocks also, and everything north of that is the North Bronx.

In addition, alot of the "hyped" changes occuring in the South Bronx are occuring in the geographical area south of 165th, not in the socioeconomic area that was defined in the 70s going up to Fordham Rd. To me, Morrisania is the epitome of the Central Bronx.

The good news though, Morrisania is seeing alot of development and affordable housing, so the area is definitely improving, with the most recent development having 3 bedrooms with income requirements of $60,000-$120,000. If that isn't change I don't know what is. The city is moving the future middle class into the area, and it is definitely positive.

The Tiffany Application
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
My definition of the "South Bronx" is simply based more on geography rather than socioeconomic status. IMO the South Bronx is everything from 132nd to 165th (or thereabouts, about 30 blocks), the Central Bronx is from 165th to about Fordham Rd, which is about 30 blocks also, and everything north of that is the North Bronx.

In addition, alot of the "hyped" changes occuring in the South Bronx are occuring in the geographical area south of 165th, not tin the socioeconomic area that was defined in the 70s going up to Fordham Rd. To me, Morrisania is the epitome of the Central Bronx.

The good news though, Morrisania is seeing alot of development and affordable housing, so the area is definitely improving, with the most recent development having 3 bedrooms with income requirements of $60,000-$120,000. If that isn't change I don't know what is. The city is moving the future middle class into the area, and it is definitely positive.

The Tiffany Application
Thats also my perception of the south bronx. South bronx was orginally mott haven, tuen later its from 132nd street to far north as 167 street. In socioeconomic terms includes everything in congressional district 16 including arthur avenue and the bronx zoo. Everything from 132 along sedgwick to fordham road and down bordering southern boulevard to hunts point and back down 132nd street. I can agre that morrisania and melrose to some extent is the visual south bronx in terms of decay. Mott haven did not have alot of burned out tenement shells and open lots compared to morrisania and melrose. If anything the term sobro should be anything between 132 street to 167 street.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
In the 70's it was, and technically, it should still be. But nowadays, people have started to go back to calling places by their neighborhood. So you have West, Central, and South now used as geographic terms instead of social ills, arson, and the "ghetto" Bronx term ( Socioeconomic term, it's original purpose, used to seperate bad neighborhoods from the good ones). If this was 1978, University Heights, Fordham, Belmont, East Tremont, Morris Heights etc would have all fallen under the umbrella south Bronx.

We had a huge discussion (2 threads) about what is considered south Bronx a while back if you're interested in reading it.

BTW, Sobroguy has a very small definition of south Bronx. He excludes Morrisania and I think Highbridge.
This is old news. Politically south bronx is everything from the 132 nd street to fordham road. Its called congressional district 16. South bronx was orginally lower bronx and yes excluding morrsania and much of melrose and high bridge. I know the history of my neighborhood where i was raised. Sadly enough the term and meaning of south bronx was always up for debate because of its socioeconomics, politics, geography or to orgins in mott haven. If anything you guys should call llyod ultan the bronx historian he will tell you the true meaning of the south bronx from its conception to relestate term sobro.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,228,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Mott haven did not have alot of burned out tenement shells and open lots compared to morrisania and melrose.
Good point.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:08 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,228,036 times
Was Belmont( Little Italy) affected severly by the decay from East Tremont/West Farms?

Or a safe haven in the middle of a firestorm? Just wondering.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,343,139 times
If you are from the Bronx, or know anything about the Bronx, you should already know the answer to that question Whitlock. Which again makes me wonder about your knowledge of the Bronx.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,015,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Was Belmont( Little Italy) affected severly by the decay from East Tremont/West Farms?

Or a safe haven in the middle of a firestorm? Just wondering.
I don't think so, atleast seriously. At that time, it still had it's fair share of Italians. It's close proximity to Fordham University helped it some. I do see rehabbed buildings like on E 189th, but it may have just been a case of strengthening already standing structures. Nothing compared to further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City