Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,029,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam321 View Post
lol. Why do you have to carry all those items? I almost never carry a backpack/daypack at all! A photo I.D., employee I.D., a Metrocard, 4credit cards/debit cards and some cash are good enough...all these can be placed in a hidden wallet for your safety reason!
In case of emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,440,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
Ok everywhere i turn it seams that everyone is carrying a daypack around with them in the city ..So what do you carry in your daypacks that i see everyone carrying around in the city ..

in my daypack i carry the following items

1-dress shoes for changeing out when get to work with extras socks and foot powder to change the sockas as they are need in ziplock bag ..Plus i walk alot when i'm there in the city than i did before
2-headlamp with batties in own stowage case
3-babywipes
4-over the counter med in a ziplock plastic bag
5-blood sugar checker with carrying case
6-extra money in a ziplock plastic bag
7-extra cell phone power cord fpr iphone
8-subway card
9-apple ipad with it accessories in own caryring case
10-subway map
11-surefire M-2-combat flashlight with SC1 spare blub & batties carrier ..this is design to have a more powerfull light to guide myself out of the subway if i have to walk out ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam321 View Post
lol. Why do you have to carry all those items? I almost never carry a backpack/daypack at all! A photo I.D., employee I.D., a Metrocard, 4credit cards/debit cards and some cash are good enough...all these can be placed in a hidden wallet for your safety reason!
the dress shoes is because when i get there to the office i take off my hikeing boots and boot socks and put on the dress socks and shoes to complete the work unifrom code that we have for the office work ..

the problem i have is that i now have to take really good care of my feet and even in custom made dress shoes and after 8 hours in them my feet still hurts

so useing my hikeing boots to walk to and from the apt to the subway station and subway station to the office and all the standing i do my feet are shot at the end of a 8 hour shift ..

so i change shoes out for the walk to and from the office we have there

since i ride the subway the headlamp and flashlight for the time it going to lose power and we area going to have to walk out to the next station platform ..plus there is going to be someone who can not see as well and it better to light up there path way for them to walk than half to carry them to the next station..

the metro subway card is because i now ride the subway alot ..

the subway map is because i'm a little old fashion and do not trust everything i get off the web for use with the subway..

the over the counter meds are for the basis of i have a headace or minor problems i need to take care

the blood sugar checker is because i have to make sure my blood sugar stays above 80 all the time and if it fall below that i must eat every 4 hours to keep it that level

babywipes are for the bathroom and i been in a few places that did not have any tp in the stalls ..so i learned to carry a travel package sized of baby wipes ..

the extra money is for the things i might need dureing the day time a soda or sandwich and that what for and i go to the atm in the morning on the way to work and get $20.oo out a day up here for my basic food needs for breakfast and lunch items and most days i have money left over from the day before because i have not sent all it ..

that money is used for my mad money on the weekends

the cell phone cord for my phone is because i'm on the phone alot and it needs to get recharge a couple times a day because of the useage of the phone ..

the apple ipad is a second brain for me because of the to-do list on it and it keep me supplied with a lightwieght device that i can do the internet searchs on for items we need and i can see the screen

the reading glass with there hard shell case because i'm getting old and no longer read the fine print on things ..so i need reading glass now

the work photo id card is on a neck layard it lets me log into any computer termial that we have in the company nation wide from logging in for work to checking up on the person who is useing the computer at work etc etc etc

in my wallet i keep the following items

1-NY drivers lics

2-NY state issuse photo i.d. card

3-medical and dental i.d.card

4-VA medical i.d. card

5-credit card

6-US passport i.d card that they now issuse you for going into Canada and Mexico.

7-metal Engraved SS card that you can get to show your SS number

8-Utag medical i.d. card that holds all my medical info on me in a small chip unit inside the card and use a usb card reader set up to be plug into a ER computer and it will give them my complete medical history and what drugs i'm on and multi other things that can go wrong in the goldern hour in the ER ..

that is all the cards i keep in my small pocket wallet i carry with me everywhere i go in the city ..

and if you are wondering i why i have a ny state drivers lic and ny state id card i have been asked for three forms of i,d once when i was cashing a check at a local bank there to make sure it was me and it the check was draw on the local bank ..

So now i carry both a drivers lics and id card issused by the state of NY for those places where they want two or more picture i.d. card

Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,509,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I see guys in suits with a backpack and sneaker shoes heading for work, it's just bizarre.
The shoes I can sort of understand. Nice dress shoes generally aren't the most comfortable, so if you need to do a lot of walking to/from your office, it may help to wear sneakers, then switch to the dress shoes once you get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
7-metal Engraved SS card that you can get to show your SS number
Probably not a great idea to carry around your social security number with you. That's asking for identity theft if your wallet is ever stolen/misplaced.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:58 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,440,853 times
my feet kill me at the end of a 8 hour shift on my feet ..so i learned to change out of them and useing a good set of hiking boots for walking around in the city ..

the problem is half the places here in ny asked for a ss card as part of some of things i need to do when opening up a bank account and other things i need for work in the city ..plus i have lifelock alert and they do a really good job so far on the problem with people trying to steal my ss number to be use in indentity theft

Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 PM

33,932 posts, read 47,205,614 times
Wallet
Keys
Cigarettes
iPod
Blackberry.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,575,057 times
For those criticizing the guys in suits with a backpack - many of the corporate men I work with go to the gym before, after, or during a break in the day and carry a backpack to work with gym clothes. I don't think it's weird.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Oh, MUST have the iPod!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 AM

25 posts, read 49,441 times
Usually just carry a book to read on the subway. That's it.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Oh, a 'sample sized' container of strong sunscreen is a good idea too. never know when you may get caught outside in bright sun.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,053,148 times
OK all you sophisticated Manhattan-ites wondering "wtf" a daypack is.....

it's not that complicated, folks....

Rakuten: Gregory Daypack GREGORY DAY PACK [3] [color development smtb-m;- Shopping Japanese products from Japan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City