Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,568 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am most likely moving to Staten Island in a little over a month and wanted to get an idea of the Graniteville area. Is this area safe? How is the schooling?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:39 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,507,330 times
Its so-so. It's close to Mariners Harbor, which is a total dump.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,042,732 times
Graniteville is iffy, you'd be best to move over a little to Westerleigh which is South of Forest Avenue and east of Richmond Avenue. Safe, nice houses. Don't have info on schools, although the high school is Susan E. Wagner, and I think it is still a good school. (was when I went, waaaay back when).

Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,992 times
If you're referring to Graniteville as the area west of Richmond Avenue and South of Forest Avenue, the income range is moderate to low. Safe? meaning what? What are you looking for in a school? Public, private?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 961,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Graniteville is iffy, you'd be best to move over a little to Westerleigh which is South of Forest Avenue and east of Richmond Avenue. Safe, nice houses. Don't have info on schools, although the high school is Susan E. Wagner, and I think it is still a good school. (was when I went, waaaay back when).

Graniteville is south of Forest Ave as well. I believe the unofficial boundaries are something like: Forest Ave to the north, Goethals Road N. to the south, South Ave to the west and Willowbrook Road to the East (lol @ how South Ave is to the East and Goethals Road North is to the South. Smh)? I know that IS 51 is considered to be in Graniteville and that's on Willowbrook and Houston so the neighborhood has to stretch at least that far east.

The neighborhood is fine though. It's about as diverse as Staten Island gets without possessing high levels of poverty and crime. The more east you go the more white the area becomes. It all depends what you're looking for. If you want a lily-white, middle-class area go to Westerleigh. If you want more diversity but still safety, Graniteville is ideal from a Staten Island standpont.

It's all about preference and comfort level.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 AM

633 posts, read 1,166,033 times
The zoned intermediate schools are awful

Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 961,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
The zoned intermediate schools are awful

True, I.S. 51 is a trip...

Old 04-17-2011, 12:50 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,140,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonra78 View Post
Hello all. I am most likely moving to Staten Island in a little over a month and wanted to get an idea of the Graniteville area. Is this area safe? How is the schooling?

Thank you!
Sorry to be late, but I just joined and wanted to give my thoughts.

There are a couple of different definitions of Graniteville. City-data says that the boundaries are as follows:

South Avenue->Forest Avenue->Willow Road West->Goethals Road North

The Staten Island Advance (the local newspaper for Staten Island) uses a different definition: Graniteville, Staten Island - Google Maps

In any case, living south of the SIE in what can be considered Graniteville (by the second definition), I would say that the area is great. There is shopping along Richmond Avenue and Forest Avenue, and the transportation is pretty good (there are express buses to Manhattan, as well as local buses that go within Staten Island)

The area is fairly diverse (it gets more diverse as you go further north), but I would say that the largest racial group is White. Still, it doesn't have the problems that other diverse areas on Staten Island have (crime, poverty, etc)

The schools around here are pretty good. P.S.22 has a chorus that is well-known, and I.S.51 has a bad reputation, but I have some friends that went there and said that it was alright. Port Richmond High School is great, and has many different programs (though I find that they can be strict regarding matters such as attendance, probably because it affects how much funding they receive).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City