Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:21 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f833929 View Post
I did look into midtown but google maps says commute is about an hour to bronx lebanon and flushing hospital by public transport. Is that right?
That sounds about right, but from Brooklyn or Queens it would be even worse - more like an hour and a half. If you're going to have to work in Brooklyn, Queens AND the Bronx, live in Manhattan and take public transportation. Any way you do it, you're going to have some long commutes ahead of you, but if you choose either Brooklyn or the Bronx, your commute to the other would be absolutely awful. If you can't swing Manhattan, try Long Island City, Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM

12 posts, read 20,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I hope you're making a decent amount of money. If you're a resident, you will be alright. Your profession is the only one left, here, that has gone untouched. I did some rotations at Bronx Lebanon. It's gross lol.

I would say to live in Flushing. Affordable and nice asians there.
Flushing will be too far from bronx lebanon and brooklyn. About how long is the commute from astoria to bronx lebanon, flushing hospital, brooklyn hospital, and lutheran hospital by car?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:29 PM

113 posts, read 291,744 times
Be careful about using google maps to plot out estimated commute times in the city.

I've found that a lot of times, for some bizarre reason, google will opt for a bus versus a subway, possibly because it involves less walking than taking a subway to a nearby destination. I've also found it choosing some nonsensical subway routes, again, maybe due to one station being closer to your start or end point than another.

You really have to plot it out intelligently to figure out real world commute times.

Having said that, choosing one location that's "central" to not one, not two but all three boroughs in your rotation might be tough. You might have to settle for best two out of three. Best of luck.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:44 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Just another opinion but maybe you should think about Carroll Gardens or Park Slope in Brooklyn.They are both really nice neighborhoods between and close to both Brooklyn Hospital and Lutheran Medical Center.That way, 1/2 of the time at least, you would have a very short, easy commute.

I think I'd rather have an almost non existent commute 1/2 the time and a longer commute the other 1/2 of the time than a long commute all of the time.

They also happen to be 2 of the nicest neighborhoods in the city.

Living in Manhattan would would make every commute arduous and keeping a car almost impossible or prohibitively expensive.Attempting to triangulate and find a point equidistant from all places will likely put you a neighborhood far less desirable than Carroll Gardens or Park Slope.

The D train runs through these areas and under The Grand Concourse in The Bronx to Bronx Leb. It's only about 50 mins on one train,no transfers.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-22-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 PM

12 posts, read 20,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The D train runs through these areas and under The Grand Concourse in The Bronx to Bronx Leb. It's only about 50 mins on one train,no transfers.
Thanks for the advice. I considered that as well. But it's the fulton division of bronx lebanon which I've heard is almost an hour and half commute from park slope. What about williamsburg?

Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,890 times
Live in Flushing and drive to the bronx/brooklyn. That would be the easiest way in my opinion.

You will pay tolls for the whitestone bridge but it is well worth it as you avoid the headache of depending on public transportation.

There is no pain free way to get from queens to brooklyn without a car btw since there is no direct subway line.

If you can... do your 9-5 rounds for Flushing and leave the overnight shifts for bronx/brooklyn. This will cut your commute down by a lot. I can get from Bayside to Fort lee with no traffic in 10 minutes, if there was the normal heavy traffic it would take 45 minutes.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f833929 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I considered that as well. But it's the fulton division of bronx lebanon which I've heard is almost an hour and half commute from park slope. What about williamsburg?
Not really a fan of Williamsburg.I lived there from the early 90's until 2008 and grew to really hate the place as it changed from a real neighborhood into a theme park.It's also one of the grimiest looking and most trash strewn neighborhoods in the city.And everything is covered in bad graffiti,which doesn't help.

Fulton Division is in a weird place..not really close to a subway stop so getting there from Williamsburg might not be much easier.It's the location of the destination,not the subway ride that makes the big difference.It may require a bus after the subway ride and if so, you will have that bus ride no matter what.I think the nearest subway stop is probably the Freeman St 2,5 stop.Not a great neighborhood to walk through either.

I think when you see how much nicer Carroll Gardens and Park Slope are than the other possibilities mentioned you might be convinced.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-23-2011 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City