Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,246,938 times

Advertisements

Areas in North Brooklyn such as brooklyn heights, dumbo/vinegar hill, dobro (downtown brooklyn), fort greene, are hot. Fueld by many folks moving out of NYC looking for more space for same price or same space for less price, and you combine that with number of luxury hi-rises already built and more being built... 1800 for 1bed is difficult but doable but you'll need to adjust your expectations. 1800 will likely get you a studio but 1bed is tough unless you go further out as others suggested like Park Slope.

citylove101 brought out good point about Fort Lee which is closer to where you want to on daily basis. However there's actually very few new hi-rise condo in Fort Lee. I can think of only one from top of my head which is the Palisades condo built in 2000s. Majority of hi-rise in Fort Lee are pre-70~80s coop. You can definitely find 1bed for 1800 in those coop and even in Palisades which is built in 2000s. As for your concern of 'upkeep' the coops may be old but they are maintained well and some have gone through or going through major capital reinvestment for update.

Lastly I don't know where in NY you were splitting time but be prepared for 40x income thing for rent in NYC. In NJ, except for coops most never ask for income requirement just background check. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,459,545 times
It's a shame he won't consider Harlem since there has been a LOT of new development (brand new, never lived in) in that area. What with the real estate market being the way it is, I would think the developers would be opened to renting. The buildings seem pretty swagged out with really good amenities. Search a little on-line and then print out the ones you like and show them to him. He might be open to the idea if he gets a place he likes at the right price.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:21 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,494 times
You should look on the New Haven line of Metro-North (stops at 125 St in Harlem) in Westchester County - Westchester is closer to the City than CT. Towns to consider would be Mamaroneck, Pelham and Rye. In CT, I'd stick to either Greenwich or Stamford -- Greenwich is VERY expensive and more of a suburban family community, so housing options are mostly single family. There are some apartments and condos but again, very pricey. I'd stick to Stamford, it's a small city with lots of new hi-rise apt buildings, bars and restaurants and there are a lot of express trains to NYC from there.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM

18 posts, read 54,906 times
Actually, all 3 of the Metro-North lines stop at Harlem-125th, and the Hudson and Harlem lines are generally considered slightly nicer and more reliable than the New Haven line. I would strongly suggest you look at White Plains, where you should be able to find something that meets most of your criteria, with a ~20-25 min train to Harlem. Please check out the Westchester forum for more info.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 10,362 times
Thank you all who have given feedback. We took another swing through Brooklyn with a different broker and saw some much better options. Nothing I would call modern, but some upgraded/renovated in Park Slope. My husband was very positive about what we saw and we were going to take the night to talk about securing a place. Then wham, that night he tells me he doesn't want to live in New York. That the more he thinks about it, the more he knows it just wouldn't be right for our lives. He thinks its a waste of money and a loss of quality of life, even for a dream job. That its not about the apartment but "the whole thing".
I have a few more days to deal with the offer. He says its my choice and he will support whatever I decide. I'm completely overwhelmed.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM

11,625 posts, read 12,682,422 times
I am sorry that you are having this conflict and I sympathize. You sacrifice a lot of QOL to live in the NY area. There just isn't a lot of stock with those types of modernized amenities,especially central air and heat. In fact, one of the best parts of NY is that many rents include heat unlike the rest of the country. You will find that most apartments that require you to pay for your own heat are not much cheaper than an apartment that includes it and Con Ed and LIPA are the most expensive electric companies in the US. If you decide to go ahead with the move, I would suggest you look at the high rises in NJ where there are more newer buildings. Don't worry about not being in Brooklyn. Sometimes travel is faster to Brooklyn from outside the borough than within.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 10,362 times
Just a last update if anyone is interested. I turned down the position and we will not relocate at this time. We're going to stay here for now, and I'll relaunch my search for a new position in Chicago. Its a city he loves and I enjoy as well. We've decided that the dream job is not worth the other stresses. Thanks all for your help though while we were searching.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM

233 posts, read 720,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fies View Post
Just a last update if anyone is interested.
thanks for the update! I was wondering what happened with your search! I hope things work out for you in Chicago!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 AM

84 posts, read 398,028 times
Midwood brooklyn

Old 05-22-2011, 05:07 PM

263 posts, read 529,785 times
Your husband sounds terrible.

Sorry, but someone had to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City