Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
1. Eliminating the city-wide school district, and replacing it with local (and locally-financed) schools (one high school per local school district). This will make affluent neighborhoods far more attractive to middle class families (not just the rich and the childless hipsters), although it will also make ghetto schools poorer.

2. Converting all public housing to no-strings-attached condominiums (being fully aware that most residents would prefer to cash out and move to cheaper areas). Alternatively, removing the current residents of public housing to low-rise replacement apartments built cheaply in East NY/Bushwick, and selling all public housing in affluent neighborhoods to developers for solid cash.

3. Slashing welfare and Medicaid and eliminating local business taxes to keep the city competitive.

4. Razing the garbage housing stock that dominates most of Brooklyn, the Bronx and large swathes of Queens and Manhattan and replacing it with modern condominiums and townhouses.
Goddamn lol. Capitalism at it's peak. You really see NYC as a city that should contain only well to do middle and upper class citizens huh?

One suggestion I have is those abandoned condos that were built in former poor neighborhoods such as LES/Alphabet City and Williamsburg should be reformed as real affordable housing for the working poor or homeless since NYC still has a large homeless population. Another one is for more subway lines in neighborhoods like East Flatbush and Canarsie. I know the L train was originally built to stop at the shore and I hope one day they'll continue that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM

499 posts, read 793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Stop building all these high rise buildings and cramming thousands of people together, we are crowded enough as it is.
NYC has been among the densest cities in the world for the past 200 years. In fact it was more crowded in decades past. There's plenty of Montana for you.
If we stopped building housing, you realize how much more expensive it would be to live here. If people agreed that the city had become too overcrowded and unlivable then no one would be moving in. Rather than stop growth, we need to build the infrastructure to keep up with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Re-evaluate all no parking spaces, since we have a parking problem here, a lot of no parking places should be parking.

Chruches and synagoges in boroughs parking should be allowed in front of.

Remove all broken fire hydrants.

Instead of knocking down 1 family houses and putting up 8 family houses, make the lot a parking lot, with trees surrounding the lot. parking is such a big issue here and needs to be resolved.

Remove all bridge tools already.
Knock down houses and put up a parking lot, instead of new housing? Spoken like a true driver. Most people understand that NY is an interesting place because it is walkable, dense, and mostly pedestrian oriented. There are plenty of dead cities across the country that cater to your automobile.

Making it more convenient for people to drive will result in more drivers who will thus need more parking spaces, lanes, etc.. It's a never ending cycle that will result in a more congested and unlivable city catering to selfish motorists (i.e. LA, Houston, etc).

If anything, the people who choose to drive in this city should be taxed more. Since they clog the roads for deliveries and services that actually NEED to drive.

Last edited by Arxis28; 04-21-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 01:48 PM

215 posts, read 661,296 times
Quote:
You have just created Long Island.....high property taxes and selective school districts that poor or middle class still cant get into because they dont live in the district.
Yep. I want more middle class in New York City, and by this point it's pretty obvious what the middle class needs. Local schools, the bulk of local taxes benefitting the taxpayers, not the poor, etc.

To me, a "better" New York axiomatically means "middle-class friendly" New York and unfortunately, the city planners need to make a choice: middle-class friendly or poor-friendly. You cannot have both, as American post-WW2 history so plainly demonstrates.

Quote:
No they should make it rent with an option to buy.
I'd rather eliminate NYCHA entirely, and if that means giving the apartments to their current residents for free (i.e. converting their rent to mortgage payments), with no strings attached, I'd be all for it.

Quote:
Nobody's getting rid of any of the three.
Sadly, no, but I'm hopeful. Obama's starting to ration federal health care. This could be an excellent excuse for the Bloomberg administration to start rationing city's Medicaid spending as well.

Quote:
You got money to buy the "garbage housing stock" from the landlord who already owns it?
Landlords will gladly sell to developers if there's profit in it for them. What is needed is easier evictions (for demolition purposes) and a lot less red tape when developing new buildings, especially when dealing with the usual NIMBY opposition.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
lololololololololololololololololololololol
What is SO funny?? He is actually right.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
First suggestion to make NYC better: do not elect carpetbaggers as Mayor. Restrict the office to either A) native-born New Yorkers, or B) people who have actually come here to make this city their home. ("Establishing residency" through buying a building here doesn't count).

Old 04-22-2011, 06:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Re institute the NYC residency mandate for all NYC municipal employees.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
And then what? Get a worst Mayor?? Like the ones before Bloomberg? I am willing to bet that no other will do as good as Bloomberg did in paying so much attention and commitment to NYC. He is not perfect, but he is really good. Yeah the economy sucks, like the rest of the country, but that was not his fault. Mayors from all over the country get a bad rep when the economy is affected the way it has been. There are cuts and enemies that have to be made unfortunately.
I'd take Ed Koch over Bloomers any day of the week. Giuliani too for that matter.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 PM

588 posts, read 947,428 times
Better pothole repair.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 PM

52 posts, read 251,885 times
I heard in a report that phillys crime rate is 8 times higher than new yorks is new york that safe of a city. Why does everyone act like new york is dangerous and got to watch your back and that brownsville and mott haven morissana east new york are real bad if thats the case just curious

Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
Stop everything and kill all the bedbugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City