U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 PM

161 posts, read 474,204 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in NYC next month and I'd really like to do a walking tour either in Greenwich Village or in Harlem that is particularly focused on music and/or literature. I was hoping to actually just find something online and do it without an actual tour guide, but no such luck. Are there any guided tours you would suggest? Those are my main areas of interest but I'd also just love to see interesting neighbourhoods in NYC; they don't definitely have to be music or literature themed. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,073,877 times
This place is really cool if you are into history. The house was built in 1832 and has not been changed inside or out in all that time. It was a spinster daughter who lived there her entire life and changed nothing. A real glimpse into the past.

Merchant's House Museum

Big Onion also offers a variety of walking tours around Manhattan that you might find interesting. Check out GroupOn, LifeBooker and a few other sites where you can get discounts.

Big Onion Walking Tours

There are a ton of walking tours that will meet your needs. Just google them. I just found a Mark Twain walking tour and Edgar Allen Poe's Publishers Row tour. Publishers Rows has a very interesting history since in the late 1800's Boston popped up as a REAL challenge to NY Publishers stranglehold on the industry.

There are historic downtown walking tours where you can see where George Washington accepted the presidency - or where he drank (yep, the pub is still there!). You can also, of course, learn more about how we defended ourselves from the British by wandering down to Battery Park. The fort is still there. You can see where the old slave markets were held on Water Street down by the piers. You can walk along 5 points which is generally gone - but Tammany Hall still survives!

I guess what I'm saying is that there are tons of walking tours. Between walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, to touring all the magnificent churches that are so part of the fabric of our city, to a tour through Central Park where you can learn more about our grid street system and what Central park was intended to be. Ride a subway down to Coney Island and see what was considered SCANDALOUS at the turn of the century (not a lot left to see down there these days, sadly). It's all out there - on-line. Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM

11,662 posts, read 22,318,238 times
I don't know this organization personally, but I have heard good things about it. Welcome to Big Apple Greeter

Also, you should try picking up a copy of Time Out NY, or maybe you can see it online (not sure). I think I remember them listing walking tours in there.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 PM

11,662 posts, read 22,318,238 times
You could also try these tours. I believe they are self-guided
https://www.nyhistory.org/web/defaul..._new&page=tour

Again, it is not something I can personally recommend but it sounded along the lines of what you were looking for.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 AM

873 posts, read 2,007,474 times
I've been on three Context tours including one of Greenwich Village. The groups are small and the guides are much more knowledgeable than your average tour guide - many have phds. I also did several of their tours in Rome, Italy.

New York Tours | Guided & Private New York Walking Tours | Context Travel

Even if you don't see the tour you want confirmed sign up for the date and time you want to do it you and once they get enough people usually 2-3 they will confirm it.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 AM

161 posts, read 474,204 times
Thanks so much, everybody. These look great!

The Big Apple Greeter volunteer organization is such a good idea. Every city should have something like that!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 34,984 times
As a greeter, myself, it's a great concept. My walking escapades are 7-12 hours in length and cover a few boroughs. Hopefully, you'll spread the word.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 AM

400 posts, read 873,428 times
Ill give you a tour.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 AM

22,294 posts, read 29,440,541 times
Quote:
my walking escapades are 7-12 hours in length

oy!
Do you carry an oxygen bottle just in case?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:36 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,799,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I've been on three Context tours including one of Greenwich Village. The groups are small and the guides are much more knowledgeable than your average tour guide - many have phds. I also did several of their tours in Rome, Italy.

New York Tours | Guided & Private New York Walking Tours | Context Travel

Even if you don't see the tour you want confirmed sign up for the date and time you want to do it you and once they get enough people usually 2-3 they will confirm it.
Thank you for this information.
My husband and I will hold on to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City