Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,327 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a coop in brooklyn and I have been asked to select a settlement/closing agent. Does anyone have any experience and recommendations? The Bank has their own subsidiaries, but I am really interested in shopping around to get the best deal.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Congrats!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Are you looking literally for just a closing agent or someone to help you through the complicated "due diligence" that is required in purchasing a co op in NYC ?

I wouldn't advise just shopping for the best deal.Purchasing a co op is trickier and more complicated than most people suspect.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 AM

48 posts, read 138,755 times
@Bluedog2 I am seeking help to get through the what I'm realizing is COMPLICATED experience of purchasing a co op in NYC...I had an interview yesterday and I'm like I think I will stay with my little rental. But if you know of anyone or classes please let me know. Thank you

Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,829 times
Do you have your own attorney. Buying a coop in NY without one would be crazy.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM

No I need to obtain one...I'm aware of that

Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshavok View Post
@Bluedog2 I am seeking help to get through the what I'm realizing is COMPLICATED experience of purchasing a co op in NYC...I had an interview yesterday and I'm like I think I will stay with my little rental. But if you know of anyone or classes please let me know. Thank you
Go to a book store or Amazon and buy a copy of The New York Co Op Bible by Sylvia Shapiro.
It's a great book and will help you enormously.

Then learn how to use ACRIS,NYC's online register information system.There is so much you can learn about every co op and condo building in the city on that site ! You will be able to see and research virtually every legal and financial transaction in any building you might be interested in.

Then,after you have done all your research and searching and found an apartment, seek out a reputable attorney who is very familiar with Co Ops to act as your "closing agent"

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-15-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 01:00 PM

Thanks bluedog2...I ordered the book hopefully it will help, from what I read it help its seems to be VERY HELPFUL. But I didn't realize it was such an ordeal to get a co-op, but I'm hopeful I'm making a good decision. Thanks again

Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanapart View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a coop in brooklyn and I have been asked to select a settlement/closing agent. Does anyone have any experience and recommendations? The Bank has their own subsidiaries, but I am really interested in shopping around to get the best deal.

Thanks!
I believe you are confused, as to what you were "asked" to do; and, may be imposing your previous knowledge relating to real estate transactions frrom your home state.

In NYS, attys are required by both parties in the transaction. In many states attys are not required, and 'Closings' are effectuated by "Closing Agents". Title Companies usually act as the Closing Agent. This is not the case in NYS.

If you have found a coop you wish to purchase, then you need to obtain an attorney (it w/b prudent to obtain and consult an atty PRIOR to beginning your search) to review and advise upon the Purchase Agreement. Once both parties have signed to the Purchase Agreement you then need to shop for a mortgage.

The Purchase Agreement, normally, allows for a period of time, and by a certain date, in which the Purchaser must demonstrate and obtain financing in order to purchase the property. This is normally demonstated by the presentation of a 'Commitment Letter' issued by a Lender.

Once a Lender agrees to finance the purchase they will issue you a 'Commitment Letter'. The 'Commitment Letter' obligates the Lender to provide financing at the general agreed terms. The Commitment is normally for a defined period of time, beyond which the Commitment expires.

Once you have a Commitment from a Lender you should bring this to your atty, who will then communicate with the Seller and/or their atty/representative.

From this point your attorney should handle all issues and communications to bring the transaction to a 'close'.

This includes insuring that you meet any further obligations required within the Purchase Agreement, communicating with the real estate broker (and/or Coop Sponsor) usually to arrange for the Coop Board interview and to meet any demands the board requires.

Also, your attorney should handle all issues and communications with your Lender and its atty/representatives. There are many details before a Lender is ready to issue the funds to complete the transaction.

This includes insuring that the Seller/Coop actually owns the property as described in the Purchase Agreement and has the right to convey the property. In so doing, your atty will engage the services of a Title Insurer (company) to effect the due diligence necessary (which will be a requirement of the Lender).

Once the parties involved, Seller, Purchaser; and Lender are satisfied and ready a 'Closing Date' will be chosen and agreed by all parties. This date and all the above must be completed by the date agreed and outlined in the Purchase Agreement, as well as by the date of expiration stated in the Commitment Letter.

If, for any reason, the Closing cannot be completed by by said dates, then an 'extension' must be requested and agreed by the Seller or the Lender or both. If by the Seller, there *may* be some penalty involved; if by the Lender, the mortgage rate and terms *may* be be adjusted.

The above is the very basic outline of a real property transaction. Of course, details regarding fees and taxes differ from transaction to transaction, and with regard to the 'type' of real property.

If you are familiar with real property transactions from another state, you will find NYS to be more involved than most, as NYS has a number of laws and regulations which protect the parties involved, specifically the Purchaser, which do not exist in other States.

It is IMPORTANT to obtain a competent and experienced attorney in real property transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: