Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM

16 posts, read 45,968 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a marketing student about to graduate soon and I'm looking to get more experience. So I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and volunteer with a charity that needs help with their marketing or public relations.

Do you know of any charities that need help with marketing or sales and/or public relations ONLY? I am not looking to do dog walking for an animal shelter, however if they need someone to write press releases for their events or to help with event planning, I'd definitely like to get more information!

I'm really interested in fashion so any fashion-related charities would be great. I have already checked the Dress for Success website and unfortunately they don't need any volunteers for what I'm looking to do. It would also be great if the organization was located downtown, where I live.

There are so many charities in this city that it would take me forever to narrow it down, so suggestions are appreciated!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:26 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,637,165 times
If the extent of your energy so far only took you as far as looking at one website, that doesn't bode well. One that comes to mind is Bottomless Closet, but it seems to me that most charities are more interested in getting people fed, housed, etc., and the charities that mostly focus on parties tend to slow down this time of year. Also, for an organization that takes itself seriously, I'm not sure they'd want a student writing their press releases. However, you might try contacting the Foundation Center, and ask if they think their library would be helpful to you in finding an organization.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If the extent of your energy so far only took you as far as looking at one website, that doesn't bode well.
There's no need to be snarky. I wanted to make my post short and to the point. I have looked up various other fashion-related organizations and none of them were looking for marketing/pr volunteers. I wasn't about to clutter my post with a long list, Dress for Success was just an example.

However, I appreciate the that you at least gave me a suggestion.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,637,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycstudent View Post
I wasn't about to clutter my post with a long list, Dress for Success was just an example.
Maybe I'm mis-reading, but it looked to me like the implication was that you checked one name, and didn't go beyond the website. Sorry.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,110,181 times
Try idealist.org and NYC Service - Volunteer in New York City and help make a difference in the greatest city in the world!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 PM

80 posts, read 400,147 times
I don't know any charities but when I was and undergrad, I saw an internship posting from Express in the PR/Marketing sector. I never did anything related to PR/Marketing or know too much about clothing (I do like Express though) but I applied anyways and somehow they offered me a position. Maybe you can try Express, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: