Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think people like Mario Puzzo and Francis Ford Coppola did more to hurt Italian peoples
reputation then Snooki ever could!

This is TV, Movies/entertaintment anyone that takes any of this serious needs to get out of their house more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
But all that Sunday dinner BS isn't how "real" italian people live in Italy.
be careful who you bash sunday dinner in front of. its family tradition. way before jersey shore came on the air.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
be careful who you bash sunday dinner in front of. its family tradition. way before jersey shore came on the air.
Depends on who's family you are in. We had never heard of such a thing.

In Italy you would eat a big dinner every night.

We usually ate pasta during the week, as it was easy for my mom to whip up.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
sunday dinner in my family included grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins as well as the nuclear family.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
I won't watch it. Just can't bear anymore SI bashing, plus, I am sick of people glorifying the mob.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post

This is TV, Movies/entertaintment anyone that takes any of this serious needs to get out of their house more often.
I agree but how a group is portrayed on tv/movies does contribute to that groups perception,whether we like it or not!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I don't think it was/is anyone's intention to portray an entire ethnic group as anything.The show is about a very small segment of NYC that is very real.It's part of what makes NY so great and so fascinating.If people make a leap and assume that all Staten Islanders or all Italians in NYC are like that, they are pretty dumb.

In a weird way I think the show will actually give a boost to Staten Island's obviously unwarranted dull image.Maybe I'm crazy but I'd rather have people like those on this show as neighbors than most of the dull,boring people in all the sleepy towns in the rest of the country.

I love NY for all it's pieces !

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,209 times
I watched it just because I couldn't believe these women were bold enough to do a show like this. And because I was curious.

I'm sure the old dons are rolling over in their graves, or beating their heads against the rails of their cell.

But then again some of the Real Housewives of NJ are supposed to be "connected" so maybe it's cool to do reality TV. Say a big "F.U." to the Feds?

:shrug:

Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Because all the things that are considered "authentic Italian" are really "Americanized Italian" which is fine. But all that Sunday dinner BS isn't how "real" italian people live in Italy. It's fine. My parents are both first generation americans and we life like any other normal american family. Also, people from Northern Italy are blonde so whats all this tanning BS.

Also Guido? WTF is that?

Ugh I could go on forever.
Oh yeah it's true what you say.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
This is really sad. How can we allow a television show to be aired that portrays the wives of mobsters? I mean it's disrespectful to those who lost loved ones to the act of violence by the Mob. These guys made so much money off their illegal acts and then funneled it to numerous businesses to make "black" money legit. I mean how come we aren't investigating the Gotti's and all these other characters for the source of their income? I'm sure these guys have it down to a science as to how to hide their finances but should we just give up? We should go all out and get each and every penny from these wise guys and their families. They drive around in expensive cars and live in mansions. The message that I understand is that crime pays and the long arm of the law doesn't reach them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City