Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 AM

460 posts, read 3,547,333 times

Advertisements

I need someone to help me to present an issue to a lawyer because although I feel I have a good case I am unable to present it strongly enough on my own to have a lawyer consider taking it. The problem I'm having is not getting past the initail emails Im sending out due to the nature of a civil case I want to pursue and I'm not doing much better making cold calls to various lawyer's offices.

Does anyone have any advice on how I might go about this better? I was thinking perhaps a go between person like a law student, paraleal, leal aid, etc would be able to help in presenting the initial contact info to a lawyer?

I'm really stumped so any advice is helpful, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
This probably sounds way too low-tech for someone from the internet generation, but we used to have this ancient way of conducting searches. We called it the "Yellow Pages." In it, you'll find lawyers grouped by their particular fields of practice.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This probably sounds way too low-tech for someone from the internet generation, but we used to have this ancient way of conducting searches. We called it the "Yellow Pages." In it, you'll find lawyers grouped by their particular fields of practice.
You really need to improve your reading comprehension.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
To the OP,

There's a reason you can't find anyone to take your case. What's the reason?

First, is the matter of payment. Are you able to pay?

Second, if the case isn't meritorious. What are the facts of the matter?

Third, I doubt it's a matter of your presentation. You may be presenting yourself as a nutjob, attorneys get LOTS of such calls. If you are not a nutjob, then perhaps its a matter of documentation or lack thereof. If you bring the correct information, the attorney will review it. No 'presentation' necessary.

So, what's the deal.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM

460 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Well so far I sent out a 3 paragragh email to about 20 layers on lawyers.com and only 2 responded. I can pay for a lawyer so that's not the problem. Maybe I need to call from the telephone book and try to find one with a free first visit consultation and go in and see how it goes.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I would suggest using the Bar Association's legal referral service: New York City Bar Association - Legal Referral Service

You can also use a directory like Martindale.com to find lawyers by specialty: Lawyers Find A Lawyer, Law Firm, Attorney & Legal Services: martindale

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: