Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 64,674 times

Advertisements

Good Evening

I was just hired at a "corporate" conservative type of job & I need a consistent barber who knows how to cut an African-American's hair with waves. My previous barber was a bit inconsistent with his scheduling & I need someone who is professional, talented & reliable with availability to maintain my clean-cut look.

I live close to the Downtown Brooklyn area in Clinton Hill so that would be my obvious target of barbershops, but I'm open to suggestions in the entire borough as well as Jamaica Queens.

Thanks in advance
Terrence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 AM

136 posts, read 266,874 times
You have plenty of choices. I get mine cut on Kingston Ave in Crown Height by St.Johns place. There are literally 4 barbershops within a blocks radius.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,105 times
Parkslope:
Corner of Prospect Pl and Flatbush Avenue and there is one across the street, African American Barbers. There is another one on corner of Carlton and Park Place, Benoit Barber Shop.
Around 5st and 5th Avenue there is a barber shop has both spanish and african american barbers.
Around 12 - 13st and 3rd Avenue small barber shop with two barbers, very small place though and you can be waiting there forever.

Prospect Heights/Crown Heights:
Between Sterling Pl and St Johns Pl on Washington Ave
Dominican Barber shop they cut all types of hair

Flatbush Avenue begining around Lincoln Rd and you have a slew of African American Barbers take your pick.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM

226 posts, read 1,097,567 times
Lmao,you coming to BKLYN barber shops are everywhere so many you can pick choose and refuse!!!! Good Luck

Old 04-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I just want to avoid the barbershop, where the barbers aren't focused on their job. I've been to a few where I've actually smelled the liquor on the breath while cutting my hair (which is a scary situation) or the barbers just seem disinterested in their clients. Recently, I had to wait 45 minutes extra because the barbers were playing on their Playstation 3 & decided it was more important than their 3 clients.

All I ask for is professionalism & talent when it comes to cutting hair. I don't even need the good small-talk you usually get with the barber you're comfortable with but it would be nice.

Again, thanks for the responses & the good luck

Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
No offense to Asian population, but once a young Viatnemese cut my hair, it looked like hell after the cutting.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMLysander View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I just want to avoid the barbershop, where the barbers aren't focused on their job. I've been to a few where I've actually smelled the liquor on the breath while cutting my hair (which is a scary situation) or the barbers just seem disinterested in their clients. Recently, I had to wait 45 minutes extra because the barbers were playing on their Playstation 3 & decided it was more important than their 3 clients.

All I ask for is professionalism & talent when it comes to cutting hair. I don't even need the good small-talk you usually get with the barber you're comfortable with but it would be nice.

Again, thanks for the responses & the good luck
Another option....start cutting your own hair. Don't be scared, just do it. Youtube has tutorials. Between me and my son, the clippers have already paid for themselves. And another plus is only you can cut to your own satisfaction. Although I must admit, doing the back is the hardest part....hopefully I can convince wifey to start cutting me once she sees how easy it is, I think she's just afraid of leaving me uneven, lol.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Another option....start cutting your own hair. Don't be scared, just do it. Youtube has tutorials. Between me and my son, the clippers have already paid for themselves. And another plus is only you can cut to your own satisfaction. Although I must admit, doing the back is the hardest part....hopefully I can convince wifey to start cutting me once she sees how easy it is, I think she's just afraid of leaving me uneven, lol.
I actually bought Andis T-Outliners just to shape-up my beard & mustache, just to maintain a somewhat cleaner look. I've actually watched alot of hair-cutting youtube videos/tutorials & I'm very weary about cutting the back of my head. I know it could be done but as you mentioned but I'm afraid it'll be uneven or I'll have alternating dark & light patches in my head. I will eventually learn to cut my own hair because I think that'll be the only way I can be satisfied with the result & save myself some money but in the in meantime. I need qualified barbers

Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMLysander View Post
I actually bought Andis T-Outliners just to shape-up my beard & mustache, just to maintain a somewhat cleaner look. I've actually watched alot of hair-cutting youtube videos/tutorials & I'm very weary about cutting the back of my head. I know it could be done but as you mentioned but I'm afraid it'll be uneven or I'll have alternating dark & light patches in my head. I will eventually learn to cut my own hair because I think that'll be the only way I can be satisfied with the result & save myself some money but in the in meantime. I need qualified barbers
Invest in some mirrors...thats what I do now. Remember, practice makes perfect.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,507 times
They are all over Brooklyn. I mean the minoritys are the majority over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City