Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,039 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys -

Really need some help with this one.

It's always been a dream of mine to live and study in New York City. I'm Canadian, currently 25 years of age. I know how hard it is to live there, what with how expensive the city is, how cutthroat the competition can be. Even so every year droves of young people flock to this city to try and 'make it.' From what I know, the city is famous for instilling the sink or swim mentality in its inhabitants.

I never finished my university degree. I'd be going to a community college there, studying the same things I'd be studying here at home in Toronto (visual and performing art). I have a well paying job here. If I moved, there'd be the opportunity cost of a pretty significant loss in income. But I'm haunted by the fact that you're only young once, and I'm afraid that in 5 years' time the drive and hunger will be gone and I won't even WANT to bother with moving to the big city. I could play it safe and stay here in Canada or I could take a big risk and give it a try there. Would the sacrifices be worth it?

You can laugh, scoff, and call me naive. Lots of things you do in your youth seem harebrained and crazy when you look back at it 10, 20 years down the line. But that's the POINT of being young. You're still filled with ideas, dreams, and hunger. I'm not some spoilt brat who doesn't have her head screwed on straight... I'm really thinking it through, but there is such a thing as playing it too safe and sitting on an idea for too long.

If you think it's a foolhardy idea, tell me exactly why? When structuring your reply can you please keep in mind my dilemma in wanting to not live a life of regret and going for your dreams. I want to hear ideas FOR and AGAINST my impending decision, because with all things there are always two sides.

"You miss every shot you don't take." "10 years from now you'll regret the things you didn't over what you did do." Just some words to keep in mind. Please, just thoughtful replies because believe me I'm really struggling with my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,085 times
Have you been accepted to a school here?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Can you realistically afford to support yourself in NYC while attending school? You would have to rely on savings as you won't be able to work legally as a non-US citizen.

Are you studying something that would lead to a good-paying job? Or are you going for the "starving artist" thing?

NYC is a wonderful experience. If you really want to be in NYC, you'd never question whether you wanted to make the move or not. But you must be practical and consider your finances. NYC can be pretty awful if you're sinking further into debt every day you live there.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,808,514 times
Come....stay for a while....

Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,616 times
You're biggest deterrent for success will be your visa status. Let's say you were able to somehow afford living in city or near city and finish school. To find a job as candidate that needs sponsorship is unfortunately a mark against you. Hopefully by the time you finish school that unemployment rate has dropped lower and job market is on fire. But if it is not and forecast is that high unemployment in US is here to stay for a while...

It will be tough. I know many folks and have friends who have visa problems that's hurting their career. However all this said, I also have many friends who have succeeded even with visa challenge.

Just keep in mind, if you do decide to come here. You will grind it out like never before just to survive and keep going. I know what life is like in Toronto, while it's one of the biggest city in Canada and it's been growing at faster pace than others like Montreal. It's still small and laid back compared to NYC. So keep that in mind. This is from personal experience, I was student at SUNY Buffalo so I went to hang out in Toronto every other weekend for few years. Practically lived there on weekends.

Lastly, there is no safety net in US. Not like Canada so be wary of that as well. One visit to ER without health insurance can wreck your finances unless you know how to take advantage of the system.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 AM

110 posts, read 222,054 times
I say go for it! Do your research in regards to all the advice from previous posts and go for it. What's the worst thing that could happen? I'm sure you could handle that. Otherwise before you know it you'll have a family, mortgage etc. and this dream will be out of your reach.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Go on youtube and look for videos pretaining the search criteria of moving to nyc. There is hundreds of videos like this were potential or hopeful newbies, transplants and out of towners making the greatest move in thier lives to live in nyc. You will find info on advice on finding apartments and roomates to getting a job. Hey I think I wanna move to toronto or vancouver, hows montreals annual jazz festival?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City