Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:14 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I believe they are cracking down on this practice of people living here with out of state plates. If you get pulled over, don't be surprised if you get a ticket for not changing the plates over. Same with drivers licenses.
if you still have legal residence in Florida... i can't see how this would work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 PM

205 posts, read 977,748 times
I wish I paid 190 a month. That's pretty good. I pay 300:banghead:

Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
The same way they're doing it in Nevada. Some people get a NYS license, but keep the registration in another state. That's how they get you if you get pulled over.

Authorities Crack Down on Out-of-State Plates - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I logged into my account and took a screen shot of my coverage. The $669 figure is every six months, so it boils down to $111.50 per month. I actually have it set up as four quarterly payments of $339.65

Actually I'm glad you got me to log in. I just upped my uninsured motorist coverage from 25/50 to 50/100 the other day and I see it hasn't taken affect for some reason.

I was a pedestrian late last year and got struck by a vehicle. That personal injury protection part of my policy waaaay more than paid for itself right there.

I'm a 27 year old male.

This is about the same I pay for full coverage on a 2009 Toyota, that's also parked on the street.
I'm in Queens, though.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
The same way they're doing it in Nevada. Some people get a NYS license, but keep the registration in another state. That's how they get you if you get pulled over.

Authorities Crack Down on Out-of-State Plates - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -
no wonder... if you have legal residence in another state, there is no reason for you to get a NYS license
but even if you had a NYS license with an out of state registration, if you can prove you have residence in that other state and split your time 50/50 between them, i would like to assume there should be no problems

if you have a NYS license and NYS registration and you are driving in Nevada... no reason for such a ticket

Old 06-20-2012, 02:53 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Acutally I just checked my policy and my monthly payments are $86
Perfect proof that it's not so bad here in NYS.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Its not nationwide, its the NY metro area. My GX460 with full coverage under Geico in VA is $38/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N
i see a lot of Florida license plates in NY and i am sure they are not all visitors
Those would be the seniors who winter in FL.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:20 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
no wonder... if you have legal residence in another state, there is no reason for you to get a NYS license
but even if you had a NYS license with an out of state registration, if you can prove you have residence in that other state and split your time 50/50 between them, i would like to assume there should be no problems
You should be fine. My first car was owned by my mother and registered under her name and insurance, back in Georgia. She was up front with State Farm and told them that the car spent 100% of its time in New York, and they said the only thing that mattered was the address it was registered to.

The Georgia DMV (and I assume other states) had this form that I could fill out each year saying I was living in another state, that would allow me to skip getting my emissions checked and the little safety inspection they do to renew your registration. They would just send me the little stickers in the mail.

Then I purchased my own car with my own money and the gig was up. So long $600 a year for full coverage a $1 million umbrella policy

edit: Also, your license isn't really tied into your tag. I had a New York license as soon as I got here, but it wasn't until a couple of years later that I got New York plates. Other than to get my license, I never went to New York DMV until I bought my own car. And even then I wouldn't have had to do that except my job required me to get a CDL.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 AM

98 posts, read 235,355 times
Quote:
ill say this... if you have family in Florida... just keep your insurance there
i see a lot of Florida license plates in NY and i am sure they are not all visitors
...until she gets pulled over for having non-resident license plates. This happened to my wife in California when we lived there for a year (taking care of an ailing family member).

Additionally, if she keeps her FL plates but lives in NY, her auto insurance policy will have been rated in FL and not NY. Since this is information concealment from the insurance company, if she were to suffer a loss, legally, the carrier doesn't have to pay the claim.

If she wants to "do it right", she needs to transfer the registration to NY and have the auto policy re-rated for the NY area.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 AM

98 posts, read 235,355 times
Quote:
Try it and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City