Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM

9,243 posts, read 24,027,133 times

Advertisements

The poor Bronx.Some developers are trying to re brand the whole borough as NoMa.....as in North of Manhattan ! I'm not kidding either.It's not just neighborhoods.....it's entire boroughs.
The really sick thing is they say in their ads " North of Manhattan is not about trends,it's about value."
They use one of the trendiest gimmicks going in their claim of being untrendy.

Lame, Allegedly Untrendy Riverdale Being Marketed As NoMa - Adventures In Marketing - Curbed NY

What's wrong with "Riverdale" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 959,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Watch, they're gonna call your hood, PoRich. LOL

Lolol. Naturally I'd then be forced to move...

The "upper" thing irks me a tad though. Just because the section that is "upper" is actually the Southern section of the neighborhood. So if they're not talking about one section being "upper" compared to the other from a geographical standpoint, then what exactly are they implying? Anybody know of any other neighborhoods where the "upper" section really isn't 'upper' at all? I'm sure the list is endless...

Old 05-02-2011, 07:25 AM

33,902 posts, read 47,091,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The poor Bronx.Some developers are trying to re brand the whole borough as NoMa.....as in North of Manhattan ! I'm not kidding either.It's not just neighborhoods.....it's entire boroughs.
The really sick thing is they say in their ads " North of Manhattan is not about trends,it's about value."

Lame, Allegedly Untrendy Riverdale Being Marketed As NoMa - Adventures In Marketing - Curbed NY

What makes me mad is when people put "Riverdale, NY 10471" as their mailing address instead of "Bronx, NY 10471". Hell, Horace Mann, Riverdale and Fieldston use Bronx in their mailing address. Talk about snooty.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,797,008 times
@ wes, love this thread bro... of course you'll have those who will be furious with these threads since it means less $$$, and now less people will be conned into buying into bad neighborhoods, but to those who actually care about the truth and are tired of seeing people suckered into buying into bad neighborhoods this news is definitely a plus...

Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,451,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABklynDude View Post
I see nothing wrong with these realtors changing the names of neighborhoods on their paper. Whats wrong with trying to make your product sound better? Every business changes the name of their products to suit consumers, and a realtors products are neighborhoods. I dont see us calling DUMBO by its original name of Rapailie, or Manhattan by New Amsterdamn. Some people are so against the changing of neighborhoods, that they try anything to prevent it, but NYC is a constantly changing city. If a neighborhoods name is changed by some people in business, then so be it. It's not like the name the realtor makes up for a neighborhood is officially documented by the city. I rather my tax money go to something more important like how to solve our budget problems instead of some politician sitting on his ass worrying about a name change of a neighborhood. We as taxpayers should actually be outraged that some politician is using our tax money for something as pathetic as this, instead of trying to improve these neighborhoods that they claim to care so much about.
Because in many instances, it's an outright LIE and can lead people to believe they're in a better school district that what they would actually be in (VERY important for parents) or just in a better, safer area than what they're in (before purchasing, I'm sure anyone with a brain would look up things about the area, including crime stats, schools, etc)

Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 AM

961 posts, read 2,460,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Lolol. Naturally I'd then be forced to move...

The "upper" thing irks me a tad though. Just because the section that is "upper" is actually the Southern section of the neighborhood. So if they're not talking about one section being "upper" compared to the other from a geographical standpoint, then what exactly are they implying? Anybody know of any other neighborhoods where the "upper" section really isn't 'upper' at all? I'm sure the list is endless...
They're calling the Southern section of your neighborhood "Upper". LOL, you already know what they're implying there. I swear these people....

Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

people think its where archie and jughead live?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
They're calling the Southern section of your neighborhood "Upper". LOL, you already know what they're implying there. I swear these people....

Yuuup. Smh. Sometimes they bypass "upper" and just call the whole Southern section "Port Richmond Center" but it's not really the 'center' of anything. Not geographically (it's just not Northern) or socially/convenience-wise (less stores, less transportation). It just happens to be nicer than the Northern part. They really just pull these things out of a hat, lol.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM

18,413 posts, read 31,539,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Yuuup. Smh. Sometimes they bypass "upper" and just call the whole Southern section "Port Richmond Center" but it's not really the 'center' of anything. Not geographically (it's just not Northern) or socially/convenience-wise (less stores, less transportation). It just happens to be nicer than the Northern part. They really just pull these things out of a hat, lol.
I lived in Port Richmond from 1986 to 1990, only was called one name, Port Richmond.
I never knew there was a Southern, Center or whatever...my, how times have changed.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I lived in Port Richmond from 1986 to 1990, only was called one name, Port Richmond.
I never knew there was a Southern, Center or whatever...my, how times have changed.

I've never heard anybody call it anything but "Port Richmond" in real life. Sometimes they'll specify that they live in "Port Richmond but... not like the ghetto" or something lame like that but really the SI Advance and realtors are the only ones who dice it up. Most people in the comment sections of the articles on the Advance website even make fun of the "Port Richmond Center" thing and those people generally have a combined IQ of about 72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City