U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,575,079 times

Advertisements

Not only is panhandling illegal, but handing out money is like feeding the pigeons, it only attracts more of it. Stupid New yorkers are not only handing out change, they are starting to hand out DOLLAR BILLS left and right. What is wrong with you people? This is not 3rd world Burma where people starve in the streets. When you hand out money to this vermin you are either feeding a drug/alcohol habit, or funding some other criminal unsavory activity. We should really start publicly shaming those that hand out money on the subway. I am seriously considering doing this next time I witness this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 PM

755 posts, read 2,124,989 times
I think you're wrong in saying that it's New Yorkers giving the money out... Mostly, when I see it happen, it's tourists who "feel bad" or don't know any better.

I've never given money, but I have offered food, if they say that that's what they want. (Although it's amazing how many people say they want money for food, but then if you actually offer to buy them food, they get angry or don't want it. )

Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 PM

12,128 posts, read 11,013,403 times
Well, yeah, maybe, sort of. However, I had to interject two things.

One is that last week there were three guys doing a great version of "The Lion Sleeps at Night," and I was almost tempted to shell out, except that I don't pull out my wallet on the subways.

Also, this reminded me of the touching story that the NYT ran in the Metropolitan Diary several years ago, which I dug out:

Metropolitan Diary - NYTimes.com

Old 05-01-2011, 03:09 PM

THe bum in that article is a liar. The poor can get Medicaid and be eligible to see an optomitrist. In fact, they are eligible for housing, food stamps, and anything else they need. I am more concerned with the middle class and the working poor in this state who make too much to be eligible for Medicaid and can't afford glasses than this dirtbag.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 PM

266 posts, read 829,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
THe bum in that article is a liar. The poor can get Medicaid and be eligible to see an optomitrist. In fact, they are eligible for housing, food stamps, and anything else they need. I am more concerned with the middle class and the working poor in this state who make too much to be eligible for Medicaid and can't afford glasses than this dirtbag.

I would love to see sources. Where do non-pregnant, non-veteran, nor chronically disabled poor people go to get Medicaid & glasses. I think you are mistaken, but I would love to be wrong.

Back on your topic about panhandling, if you publicly embarrass someone who gives money to a homeless person, try not to get arrested. I can just see someone saying that you are interfering with their good deed.

Good luck!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
I would love to see sources. Where do non-pregnant, non-veteran, nor chronically disabled poor people go to get Medicaid & glasses. I think you are mistaken, but I would love to be wrong.

Back on your topic about panhandling, if you publicly embarrass someone who gives money to a homeless person, try not to get arrested. I can just see someone saying that you are interfering with their good deed.

Good luck!

They get it when they earn under a certain amount. Since these street bums are either too lazy or love their booze/drugs too much to clean up their acts, they don't work and hence are eligible.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM

40,051 posts, read 31,825,227 times
One time, while I was still a conductor on the subway, I knew of one particular panhandler who worked the N and R lines in Brooklyn exclusively. A fellow conductor overheard him bragging about the amount of money he made--he wasn't a drunk or a drug addict; panhandling was, quite literally, his job (except that the money he made was tax-free, as opposed to yours or mine). I saw this character on one of my trains one day, and I made an announcement over the PA about not giving money to panhandlers because it's illegal.

The guy completely lost his cool. He ran to my cab, started pounding on the door and screaming about all the things he was going to do to me (none of which happened, by the way). He did get off the train at the next stop, once he realized that his performance had pretty much killed any chance he had of getting money from the passengers in that car. Then, of course, as the train began to pull out of the station he had to spit at me.

But the OP is completely correct: it's illegal, and the only thing it accomplishes is to encourage them to keep doing what they're doing. Most of the conductors on the subway will agree with this: if most of these panhandlers went a full day without getting any money from anyone, you wouldn't see them on the trains any more.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:08 PM

"Where do non-pregnant, non-veteran, nor chronically disabled poor people go to get Medicaid & glasses."

Oh, and many of these dirtbags do in fact claim to be veterans and disabled, with starving children and pets, so it is even more reason NOT to give them money.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 PM

216 posts, read 613,653 times
Not only panhandling should be illegal, giving money to panhandlers should also be illegal. Make it subject to a $250 fine or so, like honking. Giving food (not money) should be legal, of course.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM

755 posts, read 2,124,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
Giving food (not money) should be legal, of course.
It should, but like I said, I sadly have yet to have anyone take me up on the offer of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City