Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 04:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Same here. But some of the well dressed professionals, were indeed, at some point in time, GHETTO or from the ghetto. I dislike ghetto TRASH, which there is a little too much of, in NYC, for my taste. I do NOT dislike people from the ghetto who were responsible, worked hard, educated themselves and did better without expecting freebies from society. They are good in my book. I have a few friends like this.
Im from the ghetto but I dont act or even dress close to ghetto. I too from time to time dislike ghettoness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
What I hate most about NYC is the constant terrorist threat. Also, when I lived there, I remember having days where I'd wake up in a good mood. I'd be chipper until I walked out the door because when you try to smile at crabby, miserable people they just look at you weird. It was like the biggest Debbie Downer ever. Sometimes you just want simple, stupid things in your life- like being able to make small talk with the guy at your local corner store (or as New Yorkers say- bodega). All I seemed to get was total indifference, almost like I could drop dead on the sidewalk and no one would really care.
I also don't miss the morning and afternoon rush hour commutes on the train. I felt like I was being suffocated in a cattle car many times, and was disgusted when I saw pregnant women have to stand up. Said a lot about the city right there.
I still think NY has a lot of great things- namely the views from the luxury sublet I'm renting this fall, the three and four star restaurants, the hub of television shows you can go see for free, riding the ferry on a crisp autumn day. But I would not go back to live there again I don't think. It's a better city to quickly taste and gorge yourself on, then leave. Unless you are rich, I suppose. But even money can't buy your way out of constant terror threats, rats, roaches, bed bugs, and pollution.
Hey don't ever let those Debbie downers bring you out of a good mood!

Have you ever listened to "The Only Living Boy in New York" by Simon & Garfunkle? You just reminded me of him (though I'm assuming you're female judging from your screen name).

Old 05-15-2011, 07:35 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im from the ghetto but I dont act or even dress close to ghetto. I too from time to time dislike ghettoness.
One of my dear friends grew up in the South Bronx (80s South Bronx) and she is as ghetto as they come. What I mean is, she didn't forget where she came from and cannot cover up some of her traits, but she did better for herself. Worked hard, got her college degree and does not rely on the system.

I hear what you're sayin' BG

Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
One of my dear friends grew up in the South Bronx (80s South Bronx) and she is as ghetto as they come. What I mean is, she didn't forget where she came from and cannot cover up some of her traits, but she did better for herself. Worked hard, got her college degree and does not rely on the system.

I hear what you're sayin' BG
I know alot of ghetto people from all races, they dont wanna change or even adjust there presentation or demeanor. I know one guy who told me this is how he is nobody not gonna change that. Sometimes when I go out my ghetto friends to lounges and stuff and when come across tourists and transplants, they wonder how do I interact with these people so well? Hey im just a cool fun guy. Even out of towners, your from the bronx and your different and not ghetto how come? It pays to be different. I frown upon people who wear jordans and other materialistic status goods, makes me feel alot of disdane for this city.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
Well put.

Though random people rarely say hello to me, I have encountered very few rude people. Taxi drivers are probably the rudest, but their job is very stressful.

What I hate the most is when people throw away their garbage on the street. The city could also use more street sweepers.

I agree about the trash! NYC is so progressive in so many other ways, we should get with the program!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know alot of ghetto people from all races, they dont wanna change or even adjust there presentation or demeanor. I know one guy who told me this is how he is nobody not gonna change that.
If they adjusted their demeanor, it might come across as 'fake' and/or odd, so I guess it's respectable to just be yourself. IDK

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
It is ok to be yourself..just don't expect to get the job you want or the things you feel you "deserve" because it is more important to you to "keep it real" rather than compromise some things in order to get the things you want/need/'deserve'.

I am happy for those who want to be as ghetto as they want to be, regardless of what anyone says..but don't bother trying to rent an apt from me, or applying for a job with me, etc or being my friend for that matter. I am "keeping it real" also....which for me means staying away from people like you.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
well in your case be extra glad they keep it real so they can't pull any wool over your eyes ps you assume way too much about me

Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is ok to be yourself..just don't expect to get the job you want or the things you feel you "deserve" because it is more important to you to "keep it real" rather than compromise some things in order to get the things you want/need/'deserve'.

I am happy for those who want to be as ghetto as they want to be, regardless of what anyone says..but don't bother trying to rent an apt from me, or applying for a job with me, etc or being my friend for that matter. I am "keeping it real" also....which for me means staying away from people like you.
Unfortunately, Sobro hit the head of the nail on this one. It is what it is. That's the reality of it.

I understand BG's viewpoint completely, but there are two sides to the cookie

Old 05-16-2011, 01:55 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
For the record I was not referring to you grimace..just in general to your comment about why people keep it real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City