Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

I hate Mayor Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 12:05 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i hate mayor bloomberg
+1

Old 05-28-2011, 02:38 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
It really isnt that bad.
mine's great NOW --but it wasn't always. when it wasn't, it scarred my brain to the point of never forgetting exactly how horrid it could get

Old 05-28-2011, 02:05 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I don't like how impatient and rude everyone is. Upon landing from Dallas, I asked for directions at the concierge at the airport. Another woman needed them, but I was there first. When the woman interrupted, the person giving me directions essentially hushed her and ignored her telling her that he was busy with me. The woman marches off and sarcastically thanks her for the help.
There are so many other examples. People are just so bluntly rude. It's not that they aren't nice, they'll go out of their way to help you...but I feel like they force themselves to because they know how vicious the undercurrents of the city are.
I'm not trying to say it isn't genuine: how people try and help one another.
I have countless examples of how people offered to help me when I was there, out of sympathy. I feel like they were lost in the city at one point, and NYC isn't an ideal place to get lost in... so they go out of their way to spare you the trouble they went through.
1) My friend who lives in the suburbs ran out of money on his metrocard, a man helped him with his own card.
2) My grandmother looked lost, this Russian guy insisted on giving us directions, despite the fact that we knew where we were going. Nice guy.
3)A guy overheard me talking about how to meet up my friend from the Brox, and gave me directions.
4)A guy advised me on what neighborhoods to stay in and out of. He was really cool.

In addition to that, everyone kind of acts like they hide something deep and dark about the city... As one man said "The city is only shiny from far away."
I feel like a lot of people feel NYC is a deep, dark, nasty place.

I also noticed how much less room people have. The hallways are narrow, and the bathroom consists of a square meter of a room (if that!) with a toilet, a sink, and a little square of "open" space to turn,stand, and maneuver.

I still like the city though.
I'm kind confused reading your post here, it's full contradiction.
But my feeling after reading your post is that you think of NYC
as one big AHole, full of rude people impatiently running around like
diarrhea but still go out of their way to help you. So.....you kind
of like the ahole.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:24 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
The thing I hate most about NYC is that I can never really decide whether I hate it more than I love it, or love it more than I hate it!!!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:52 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
1) My friend who lives in the suburbs ran out of money on his metrocard, a man helped him with his own card.
that's nice. once a 40-something lady simply handed me a Metrocard saying here take it. it had one of those "xfer"s (freebie xfer) on it. it was very nice of her, but totally out of left field. i've wanted to replicate her kindness at least 3 times, but i don't want anyone to think i'm a psycho approaching them and saying here take this card, so i simply throw any used up card away if i know i'm not going to use the xfer.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:50 PM

446 posts, read 997,284 times
There really isn't a whole lot I hate. I like the people (where did the myth about NYers being rude come from? People here are SO much friendlier and more genuine than in LA!). The transportation is a step up, too. The only thing that bugs me is spit on sidewalks. I mean, there's trashcans on ever street corner. It can't wait? Gross.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
Well no city or place is perfect n.y isn't for everybody and that's why 97% of americans don't live there
New york is still a very old city the new cities that people are moving too including new yorkers are atlanta miami & vegas with atlanta and vegas neck in neck atlanta is now the hip hop capital and vegas is on par with L.A & times square far as entertainment miami i heard is building skyscrapers and trump towers than throw in the new super team the heat and it's alot of money booming in the mia
New york has been on top for a very long time and you can't believe the hype until you visit
The nypd is one of the most racist and dangerous cops in the nation they shoot black men over 50 times and nothing ever happens in new york to be technical people from other places make new york great the jamaicans brought hip hop puerto ricans brought flavor malcolm x came from the midwest bumpy johnson came from the south black panthers from california, but through it all millions of people make new york city home every place needs an upgrade but like i said new york isn't fit for everybody the smell rats and dirty subway is what makes it great lol

Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Agreed. California is a jungle. New York is heaven compared to California. I hope people realize that.

I won't live in California even if I get bribed handsomely

It's not like they show in MTV, people.
I don't even like California on tv: all that sun and having to drive everywhere. In NY you can walk to many places that you need to go to. It's sometimes much cooler down side streets. If you live up high and your windows open there is a breeze. Some of our rooftops are green.

The cops should ticket litterers. They could make a lot of money that way.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
Well N.y is heaven Cali is a paradise and all the L.A stereotypes about los angeles needs to stop everybody is not laid back everybody is not in a gang transportation isn't poor and everyone doesn't drive or want to be a star L.A is a worldclass city that has everything for somebody to do you want that big city feeling go to downtown or hollywood blvd you want that tropical feeling go to malibu beach you want fashion go to the beverly center or south coast plaza you want a record deal go to interscope or capital records california is the closest thing you'll get to living the american dream it's where people from all over the world come including new yorkers to live that golden life big mansion pool entertainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City