Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 AM

4 posts, read 5,744 times

Advertisements

r u kidding me i love new york i was born an raised here. but the street bums can leave pend of discussion Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
I love New York a lot and find it hard to image ever loving a city so much, but because I'll probably be leaving soon, maybe doing this will be a cathartic experience.

1. The complete lack of a middle class. That if you're not a doctor or a lawyer or a broker or a corporate executive or otherwise independently wealthy, there's really nowhere for you to live unless you're in your twenties and don't mind a roommate situation or something If you want to raise a couple of kids in three bedrooms, sorry, you're not rich? We've got some very nice housing projects for you. (Except we don't, because you make waaaaaaaay too much money to qualify.)

2. Scaffolding and sidewalk bridges. Why are they everywhere? I've been to places equalling or approaching the density of Midtown Manhattan that don't have nearly as much ugly scaffolding. Whenever you're walking around and trying to appreciate a perfect streetwall, there's always scaffolding to break it up. Nothing ever looks finished.

3. The fact that our airports look so bad. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. I always imagine tourists from Tokyo and Paris and Dallas getting off the plane and looking around and getting a sinking "uh-oh, did I make a big mistake?" feeling.

4. Subway panhandlers in general, but specifically these two: a) the "if you don't have any change, at least have a smile" guy. Why would anyone think that being so mean-spirited would inspire people to smile at him? (Oh, yeah, because he's a little crazy.) And b) the woman who mutters "please help, please help" while walking down the car with a toddler strapped to her. Listen, this isn't Athens. The American social contract clearly states: begging OK, using your child to beg not OK. Everyone else figured out what to do with their kid, why can't you?

5. The time the MTA announced: "Guess what? We just found a billion dollars under the mattress. Free money for everyone!" then something like a year later, were like: "Sad face, we don't have any money. Don't blame us, it's just the state of government agencies today. We're going to have to raise fares now, by a lot."

6. The fact that subway stations look so awful. Embarrasses me as a New Yorker.

7. When the subway starts going some crazy alternate route without any announcement or obvious signage. (I know more than half of these are about the subway, and I mean them, but I like it overall, really I do.)

Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
I hate the crowd (mostly tourists) and i hate the humid summers

However,
I love NYC autums
I love the easy accessability and availability to most things 24/7

You take the good with the bad but for NYC in my opinion, the good outweighs the bad.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
it's old as hell, antique and
grimy, but i love it.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
The dirtiness and over crowdiness are annoying but I hate the COL the most.
Quoted for truth.

And I've been here my entire life.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 31,348 times
The ghetto people (aforementioned numerous times in this thread already), the lousy MTA service, the freaks on public transportation, crackheads stopping me asking for a dollar (claiming they need to buy food, ha what a joke!) and well... this basically sums it up: If I had the money, I'd get the hell out of here in a New York minute.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM

^ the gentrifiers lol.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,760 times
Easy...

The MTA.

Worst public transportation EVER. I don't care that it runs 24 hours. It is AWFUL.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
Rent too damn high!!!

The rest I could deal with after having been stuck in "the South". Man... imagine just like... whole counties of people that could qualify as... bus-station people, I know most of you know what I'm talking about here.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM

^ druggies and mental patients lol..

basically slowwwwwwwww people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City