U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 AM

343 posts, read 1,261,444 times

Advertisements

I'm going to attend some classes this year at Brooklyn College(Flatbush avenue) and most of my classes are between 6 PM and 10PM.
I would not be worried of those classes that leave at 8PM or so but what about leaving the campus at 10PM to get onto the 2 or 5 train and tranfer at Grand Central? Is this going to be a dangerous thing to do? I am a 27 yeard old female. I live around the 7 line near corona plaza/ I'm particularly concered about the commute from the College to the Grand central terminal when I "ll be in the 2 or 5 train.

Any help here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,665,886 times
Just be aware of your surrounds at night over there. The college is right near the Junction. I also go to Brooklyn College. It's not really a bad area. Those train lines can be bad though.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM

357 posts, read 686,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
I'm going to attend some classes this year at Brooklyn College(Flatbush avenue) and most of my classes are between 6 PM and 10PM.
I would not be worried of those classes that leave at 8PM or so but what about leaving the campus at 10PM to get onto the 2 or 5 train and tranfer at Grand Central? Is this going to be a dangerous thing to do? I am a 27 yeard old female. I live around the 7 line near corona plaza/ I'm particularly concered about the commute from the College to the Grand central terminal when I "ll be in the 2 or 5 train.

Any help here?

It's not any more dangerous than riding the 7 from the first stop to Grand Central at the same time of night.

You'll most likely make at least one friend who is also in your position and you'll ride together. You'll use the entrance by the comics store and Navy recruiting station and wait for the trains to come at the terminus like everyone else. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM

383 posts, read 1,268,992 times
Act like you know what your doing and be aware of your surroundings. The area can be bad(at night the most). But like what was said before me, try to make a friend who can help you out a bit.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,081,921 times
its not really a bad area, just bring some reading material while your on the train..even after you leave franklin avenue it feels like the train is riding on the brakes.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks guys. I was a litte nervous about late night classes. . surprisingly, the college has late evening classes for graduate studies in my Dept. there are classes that end at 10 PM too. ofcourse, most days I'll leave by 8 PM. So that's fine I believe. But the 10 PM thing really scared me off.

Also, does anyone know if I have a shorter/faster train route?? currently, the commute takes me 1.5 hours one -way. That's so tiring.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 AM

357 posts, read 686,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
Thanks guys. I was a litte nervous about late night classes. . surprisingly, the college has late evening classes for graduate studies in my Dept. there are classes that end at 10 PM too. ofcourse, most days I'll leave by 8 PM. So that's fine I believe. But the 10 PM thing really scared me off.

Also, does anyone know if I have a shorter/faster train route?? currently, the commute takes me 1.5 hours one -way. That's so tiring
Sorry. The train system here is mainly designed to bring people from the other boros into Manhattan. You'll just have to get used to adjusting your sleeping habits to be sure to stay awake on the train.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM

412 posts, read 1,273,979 times
If you are leery, sit in the conductor's car which is the fifth or sixth car depending on what side the doors open.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Travelling in the same car as the conductor is a good idea. fifth or sixth would mean the middle of the train isn't it?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 PM

557 posts, read 1,967,234 times
Interesting that I just read this article yesterday
Train Riders Robbed by Teens > YourNabe.com > Throggs Neck > Bronx Times Reporter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>