Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM

49 posts, read 92,547 times

Advertisements

I saw an apartment last week about 2 blocks from here, the rent is cheaper than I would pay in Williamsburg or Park Slope. It's a great apartment, comes with laundry. That is a must for me. I am aware of the Marcy projects across the street. Can anyone give me a more general idea of the neighborhood? I am aware that this area is considered Bed Stuy, although it states East Williamsburg, but I was walking around and I see nice new looking condos around. So what is the deal with this area? The broker says the neighborhood is up and coming, um OK.

I am OK walking around in the daytime, but how bad is it at night? I got some cat calls from men, I just waved to them, and I didn't feel threatened. I also notice there are not too many groceries around here. I am OK with hopping on the G train and going up to Greenpoint/ Williamsburg if necessary to shop. I also notice the train station entrance on Willoughby is blocked off. If this because of the crime? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 64,681 times
This advice is coming from a person whose lived in the area for 25 years (I grew up in the area & still live close by)

Once you get off at Myrtle & Willoughby on the G-train you'll actually be on Myrtle & Marcy Avenues & this is what you'll see:

-The B54 bus stop right in front of you

-Going North on Marcy Avenue (toward the Marcy Houses) you'll see an Associated Supermarket (Decent spot for grocery shopping) & a bunch of bodegas as you walk further down Marcy Avenue (which I insist you stay away from for many reasons)

-Going South on Marcy Avenue (away from the Marcy Houses) you'll see alot of re-building & renovated houses. There's nothing much to see going in that direction.

-Going West on Myrtle Avenue (toward Marcy Houses) you'll see a Duane Reade which is fairly new & the back-end of Marcy Playground (handball courts, parking lot...etc)

-Going East on Myrtle Avenue (away from Marcy Houses) you'll see another housing project Tompkins Houses & there's also a Keyfood Supermarket as you walk further east on Myrtle acorss the street from Tompkins Houses (The Keyfood Supermarket is better than Associated on Marcy Avenue in terms of variety but a bit higher on cost)

Sometimes at night there is a police van parked next to Marcy Playground with a tower that has surveillance cameras covering a 5-mile radius. So that tells you at times the area can be rough but there is a consistent police presence.

Honestly, the area as a whole is changing as you get closer to Williamsburg you see the up-swing of the property value. At that area by the G-train Myrtle & Willoughby train station on Myrtle & Marcy it's still in transition but is relatively safe during the morning, afternoon & early evening. One part of the train station is closed off because it was renovated & made smaller, making the extra exits unnecessary

Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
South of Flushing Avenue is definitely Bed-Stuy. You may or may not be comfortable in that area, depending on where you live now. PJ's like Marcy are not a bad idea to veer away from late at night.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albanyreject View Post
i got some cat calls from men, i just waved to them, and i didn't feel threatened.

lol

Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM

154 posts, read 449,581 times
Is Pratt institute over there? Dat place is scaryyyy, jk lmao

Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM

49 posts, read 92,547 times
Thanks to everyone who answered. I walked around there again yesterday. I went to the Associated Supermarket, and I believe the name for it is in Spanish. My God, what a dump. I do not live in the best neighborhood right now, but our Associated looks like Whole Foods compared to this. I saw police in the area, just standing around. Lots of people just standing around doing nothing. I noticed a new building and I saw some Jews dressed in black and with the curls right by it, so I am assuming that this is an apartment building for Jewish people? It looks very similar to the buildings they have all over Williamsburg, so I guess it is theirs.

I walked on Willoughby between Marcy and Nostrand, and I must say, this block is gorgeous. The houses are beautiful. Such a shame that the facades of several of them look completely neglected. I took the G train, and for the second time in a week, I did not have to wait a minute for it. So either things are improving with the G train or I just lucked out. Because from what I have read, most people consider the G a nightmare. I must say, it is very convenient to get to the city from here. Just 5 stops. Transfering to the L is no big deal. I see white kids all over the place, some of them right across from the Marcy houses on Marcy avenue. I guess, like me, they realize that it is cheaper here than higher up north. Overall, I don't think the area is too bad. I have heard horror stories, but this location is easy access to downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan.

By the way, I saw one bodega that looked nice and clean. I believe it was on Marcy and Willoughby?
One question, there is a 1 Vernon Ave. This is on Nostrand and Vernon. Is this building connected to the apartments on Myrtle? The one with the Duane Reade at the first floor? I have looked for info on 1 Vernon Ave and cannot seem to find anything on it.

I realize that things can look completely different at night time, but I am not really a night owl, so I am not too concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: