U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 10,127 times

Advertisements

im moving to by in late summer of this year with somewhere around 3000 saved. ill be staying with a friend until i figure out where im working and what im making, but in an effort to not fly blindly into the situation, can anyone tell me what a realistic income for either waiting tables or bartending would be?

not at a diner, but in a 3-4 star restaraunt or possibly a nightclub of some respect.

responses from people employed within the industry would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 AM

161 posts, read 387,348 times
I'm not in the industry, but when I was interested in getting into it and researched it, I found that high-end NYC restaurants prefer you to not only have at least a couple years' worth of serving experiencing already under your belt, but it has to be NYC restaurant experience. Apparently these jobs are very sought after and these servers easly make 6 figures a year. Anyway, not to burst your bubble. Most people either start off as hostesses and barbacks (who don't get tips and usually make around minimum wage) before getting promoted to server and bartender positions.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM

thanks for the reply.

i have 8 years of restaraunt exp, most of that being in fine dining. it does seem that many places prefer nyc exp, although i cant imagine it would be that different.

the job market just seems larger up there, as craigslist has 4 ads for waiters in west palm beach florida, and nyc has over a hundred.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:02 PM

755 posts, read 2,195,568 times
You'll have a tough time breaking in without NYC experience.

The money is really pretty good—I know servers and bartenders at Michelin-starred places who pull in $1k+ per week working only part-time, but they started at the bottom here in the city. A few full-timers I know make in the six figures. Just because you have fine dining experience somewhere else doesn't mean you can hack it here.

You are either going to have to temper your expectations to start or hope that you'll luck out and someone takes a chance on you.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 PM

755 posts, read 2,195,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap121483 View Post
Anyway, not to burst your bubble. Most people either start off as hostesses and barbacks (who don't get tips and usually make around minimum wage) before getting promoted to server and bartender positions.
Just wanted to point out that this is partially untrue. Most restaurants are on a "points" tip system so that barbacks, backwaiters, baristas, hostesses, dishwashers, etc., do receive some percentage of tips. Obviously it's not as a high as a server, but it's still something. Most of the ones I know make around $10-11/hour.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 PM

im not heart-set on a michelin starred establishment, just something that pays the bills somewhat well. and since things are expensive. those bills may be high, you know?

it appears that everyone in the city is hiring now, does this drop off to the end of the summer? or are they pretty much always looking to replace someone?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,402,637 times
You are not getting it. Where in FL have you had experience?

You are giving too much weight to your experience. Its not going to count for much here. It just may get you into a low level front room position where you can begin to work your way up.

As a full waiter, the best you can hope for is full time at an average restaurant, and it may take quite some time to find the right fit, and to make enough to support yourself w/o a few roommates.

If you are very attractive and articulate, as well as lucky, maybe you might snag a bartender spot at one of the hot clubs, but that w/b a big leap! Happens though.

Anyway, that's the way I'd work it. When applying, go for the TOP restaurants, and make sure they understand you'll take ANY position offered!! If its going to be your profession then 'breaking in' s/b the goal. In NYC, these are positions where you can make from the mid five figures into the low six figures.

Your background might also qualify you for a concierge position, at an high end apartment building or hotel.

OH, and you are going to need more than three grand! A LOT more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City