Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times

Advertisements

@ cyrusjul I just said it sounded like that... not necessarily that it was... you can take the gloves off now... And please post when I said NYC was not racist... I've been the one saying that it's not as big a deal as it used to be, but racism will always be around...

but again that's what people who have nothing to say do... make up random arguments to throw off a point and get people believing something that never happened... It's too bad you're not dealing with children cause it might've worked then...

@ cyrusjul, I wasn't attacking you in the first place but I just noticed something about your posts and they seemed very one-sided... with me, you've seen me concede to sobroguy's posts, tkak's posts and others when there points are valid so it's not like I'm some equality nut...or some hater of gentrification... as i've said before, my only thing is, I wish people were more honest about the neighborhoods being advertised because false advertisement of a neighborhood not only affects the locals, but those moving in as well... but we're getting off topic...

Point is, racism still exists and unfortunately Black folk get hit the hardest... It does happen sometimes to hispanics, but because of the need for spanish speakers and translators in what is becoming a more spanish city as time goes on... it is not really that much of a problem for us hispanics... It sucks to see stuff like that happen... and it sucks even more when people turn a blind eye to it, but unfortunately there will always be people that will have prejudices... and it's up to the person that's dealing with it, to either make the best of a bad situation and work as hard as he/she can without complaining or treating his coworkers poorly, or simply allow it to get to him/her and do their job always upset...

I have seen what cyrusjul is talking about even in my job... I worked in a job where I was the only spanish guy with 6 Black women and for the most part I was treated like crap... They would constantly complain about how spanish people are taking over and how in all the school departments spanish people are making their presence felt even though it was a majority black school and it was tough to work in an environment like that without saying anything because I understood why they felt that way but they were crucifying the wrong person... and eventually my supervisor had to make cut-backs and even though I was recommended by a lot of people I was the first to go... so I know there is definitely some truth to what cyrusjul is saying... but there is also truth to the opposite side of it as well and because we are not in there position, we cannot fully understand what they go through... but I can sympathize...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM

175 posts, read 487,241 times
Just look at your company's racial makeup and compare it to the racial make up of nyc. Then look at the racial make up of your company's executives.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM

136 posts, read 266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have noticed this all my life here in nyc when working with or seeing black people work. Example mta ticketbooth agent, I can tell a white or hispanic agent my metro card not working, they will pass me through, but most of the times a black agent wont forcing me to buy a ride. Same goes for my my sisters job ap/ar department which was half black, it was ok for others to cut slack like whites and hispanics and skip days but for the blacks at her job no, many blacks left fearing they would get fired. Another time I got stopped by cops all three AA, questioning and grilling me, they took my id. I even complied with them and nope, they called the commanding officer and was released. I wasnt handcuffed or nothing but it appeared to be going in that route. When hispanic and white cops stop me they always see my id and let me move on or sometimes have a chat. I rarely see blacks slack off at work and if they do they get the boot but, hispanics, asians and whites slack theu rarely get penalized for it. This is just from my observation, I could be wrong. This is why I say blacks have more to lose then hispanics, whites, and asians.
This has a lot to do with what my pops always told me.

"...they can't be just as good as the white kid next to them...they have to be better...by a lot...or else you're in trouble. I know for a fact that people have a tendency to judge blacks particularly harshly, whether they are conscious of it or not. When a white guy eff's up, they judge him as an individual. When a black man eff's up, they judge black people as a whole."

Not a direct quote, but it's the same idea.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
Just look at your company's racial makeup and compare it to the racial make up of nyc. Then look at the racial make up of your company's executives.
Good point.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ cyrusjul I just said it sounded like that... not necessarily that it was... you can take the gloves off now... And please post when I said NYC was not racist... I've been the one saying that it's not as big a deal as it used to be, but racism will always be around...

but again that's what people who have nothing to say do... make up random arguments to throw off a point and get people believing something that never happened... It's too bad you're not dealing with children cause it might've worked then...

@ cyrusjul, I wasn't attacking you in the first place but I just noticed something about your posts and they seemed very one-sided... with me, you've seen me concede to sobroguy's posts, tkak's posts and others when there points are valid so it's not like I'm some equality nut...or some hater of gentrification... as i've said before, my only thing is, I wish people were more honest about the neighborhoods being advertised because false advertisement of a neighborhood not only affects the locals, but those moving in as well... but we're getting off topic...

Point is, racism still exists and unfortunately Black folk get hit the hardest... It does happen sometimes to hispanics, but because of the need for spanish speakers and translators in what is becoming a more spanish city as time goes on... it is not really that much of a problem for us hispanics... It sucks to see stuff like that happen... and it sucks even more when people turn a blind eye to it, but unfortunately there will always be people that will have prejudices... and it's up to the person that's dealing with it, to either make the best of a bad situation and work as hard as he/she can without complaining or treating his coworkers poorly, or simply allow it to get to him/her and do their job always upset...

I have seen what cyrusjul is talking about even in my job... I worked in a job where I was the only spanish guy with 6 Black women and for the most part I was treated like crap... They would constantly complain about how spanish people are taking over and how in all the school departments spanish people are making their presence felt even though it was a majority black school and it was tough to work in an environment like that without saying anything because I understood why they felt that way but they were crucifying the wrong person... and eventually my supervisor had to make cut-backs and even though I was recommended by a lot of people I was the first to go... so I know there is definitely some truth to what cyrusjul is saying... but there is also truth to the opposite side of it as well and because we are not in there position, we cannot fully understand what they go through... but I can sympathize...
I can recall when I was younger Hispanics (especially PR's) had it just as bad or worse than us black folk. But now even with an education it seems we have fallen to the bottom of the totem poll...All right I am angry and depressed as usual, who started this thread? Damnit we need like a quota of how many race based threads there can be at one time, I hate having 4 arguments at once!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
nyc is as racist as any other multicultural cities

a city that's not racist isn't a real city - tokyo *cough*

Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Racism is alive and well in America. I am not sure whether I find your post comical or alarming. I guess it is possible to coexist and live on different planets. Economics has always been the driving force to promote racism. I see it where I live and at my job. The ridiculous term "pulling the race card" is another way of saying shut up and accept your place; don't question me. What am I supposed to think when people who look a certain way are receiving promotions for doing a quarter of the work I do? I addressed it with my employer and I was punished. They finally reduced my work load when the boss inadvertently admitted I was doing the work of 4 people. I guess he realized I would have a strong case if I filed a complaint with H.R. Numbers never lie, do they?

You need money in order to buy nice things. It is difficult to buy nice things when your earning potential is limited regardless of education. Corporate America is just like high school. The cool kids rule the school and the rest of us fight amongst ourselves for the crumbs. I look to the people from the past to gain strength.The things I complain about are nothing compared to what they endured.

Please do not trivialize the struggles that many people go through based on you naive assumptions. The rules are not the same for all the players involved. Thankfully, there are several ways to play the game.
Beautiful post...very well said ! Thank You

Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 AM

175 posts, read 487,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Looks like I have to explain the timeline, and how people of color are at the bottom of the economic chain. First came slavery. Then segreation. You notice that family wealth trickles down to the new generation. Most black families didn't have that fortune due to their circumstances. When segeration ended, blacks had been at the bottom of the economic chain for so long its would (will) take many more years to reverse those effects. Many get trapped in the feeling of hopelessness and turn the wrong way. Systems like welfare and such were made to help reverse those effects. One thing is true though, it is about money, because people of lower incomes get less education, and that is slowing down the process. A case where a poor mother tried to get her children an education from a better place:
MOTHER GOES TO JAIL FOR SENDING HER KIDS TO A BETTER SCHOOL ...

good question

where is the OP?

I would have to agree with this post. When looking at racism, one has to look at history. Transgenerational wealth is not something that many blacks have. If you look at the history of immigration to this country, one of the primary ways of getting ahead in this country was to emulate into mainstream america, meaning white america, and that means separating yourself from blacks. Also let's look at redlining for a minute, you're telling me the already oppressed people are then segregated even further into poorer areas, refused homes in good areas, and having the CIA literally toss crack on to the streets, and this whole cluster of historical oppression and slavery and all that is suppose to disappear because you think its about money? Are you serious? This is to the OP btw

Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
I think that black people (more than other minority groups) need to become more financially independent (i.e., own our own businesses), become more focused on wealth accumulation, and build our own educational institutions.

Every other race of people in the world has accomplished this. I am black and I am not saying that this is any easy task but I do believe that it is the only way to break free from the cycle.

There are certainly talented people within the race who can do this for themselves and lead others but I believe many of us are focused on being part of the corporate system, living the "American Dream," etc.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:36 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Minorities are less likely to get the job, apartment, promotion, and more likely to get laid off. In this economic environment, that's a huge deal. A job is less likely to even call you for an interview if your name suggests that your not white. It doesn't mean that anyone should stop trying - but it doesn't mean that it's fair either.

In my husband's family (he's black), not only is there no transgenerational wealth, but there are relatives regularly asking for money - his mother, sister, nephew. I get the impression this is more common in black families but maybe I'm mistaken. It makes it hard to save up the money he earns.

I know that not everything's about race, but in some situations, I can't help but wonder - My husband's boss left - the business is sales, my husband's team is doing way better than any other, and they suggest some guy (who's white), hasn't been there as long and who's team isn't performing anywhere near as well, and doesn't have as much work experience. Doesn't seem fair to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City