Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,228 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Family of four, moving to NYC this summer for a 2year fellowship at Columbia U. Seems like a 2br at Morningside Heights might be a bit over our budget. Considered Riverdale (where I spent a few years as a child when my family lived there, and loved it), but Im told Riverdale without a car might be difficult (not the commute to CU but the daily arrands, kids to preschool, etc...). Other affordable places seems to be Inwood and Washington Heights (hoping to avoid Brooklyn, not keen on a long commute to CU).

Grateful for any thoughts on how difficult living in any of these without a car can be.

Thanks,

Roy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times
I stopped reading at "WaHI"

Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Look in Riverdale around 235th or 236th St and Johnson Ave.It is a very pleasant,self contained neighborhood.It has all the stores,restaurants and amenities you would need within a few blocks.It's probably the most "urban" part of Riverdale and it would be easy to live there without a car.The walk to the subway isn't too hideous either.It's a healthy walk.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I stopped reading at "WaHI"
LOL!

I see you got this covered, I'm out.

Though, I do find it curious if WH is out of budget, how is Riverdale in?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
LOL!

I see you got this covered, I'm out.

Though, I do find it curious if WH is out of budget, how is Riverdale in?
The prices in the better areas of Washington Heights and Inwood are quite a bit more than Riverdale.That's what I found when I was looking to buy anyway.I think there is a premium, in certain circles, on Washington Heights and Inwood simply because they are in Manhattan even though it can be further North than a lot of The Bronx..Riverdale also has the reputation of being too suburban even though there are pockets that are more urban.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-09-2011 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Living in Washington Heights w/o wheels is actually preferable to having them IMHO. Parking is always tight and difficult what with switching sides of the street for alternate side of the street parking. You'd also have to worry about car break-ins too, as well as athe million little dings and dents you get leaving a car out on the street. So you'd probably have to get a garage to avoid the hassle and that's just an extra expense. You live in the Heights and need a car every so often I'd just rent one. Take a bus over the GW to Ft. Lee and its much. much cheaper than renting in Manhattan. Anyway, the neighborhood is pretty well served by mass transit with buses on the major avenues and the A/C and No. 1 lines.

For working at the hospital or the university on 116th St I'd choose Washington Heights, somehwere west of Broadway and north of the hospital, over Riverdale anytime--UNLESS your kids are school-aged. If schools are a consideration, frankly, I'd give Riverdale a harder look. Don't know the schools there, but aside from one strong PK-8 school that I know in the Heights, the Hudson Cliffs school, the educational pickings there are pretty slim.

And just a word to the wise. PLEASE don't ever call it WaHi. To New Yorkers that just sounds really prentious (plus no one will know what you're talking about). Its just "The Heights". Like the Broadway show a few years back.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The prices in the better areas of Washington Heights and Inwood are quite a bit more than Riverdale.That's what I found when I was looking to buy anyway.I think there is a premium, in certain circles, on Washington Heights and Inwood simply because they are in Manhattan even though it can be further North than a lot of The Bronx..Riverdale also has the reputation of being too suburban even though there are pockets that are more urban.
I here you. Part is, the rest isn't especially for rentals. I was thinking the OP is looking in the wrong spots. Its a matter of what one wishes to deal with, but there are buildings near the hospital, which are pretty fair, and otherd that are less fair, both with rents cheaper than the average mid to low markeg rents in Riverdale.

Of course Riverside drive literally from the hospital downward, is all upscale.

I just reread the OP, now I'm more confused. Are we talking WaHi or Morningside Heights????

Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
It really depends upon the building/area in Riverdale, but Riverdale can be easier with a family, especially since it is much more quiet than parts of Washington Heights. Stair streets and stairs through the park can make it easier to get to Kingsbridge, the subway, etc. The bus is also an easy way to get to Broadway and back. Just stay in the area bluedog mentioned upthread, and you would have an easier time, or below the monument, below Riverdale Avenue up to 238th as 238th is a stair street to Broadway, or you can walk down Riverdale to W231st.

Stop & Shop is on Broadway, and there's also a store called Garden Gourmet that has wonderful produce and items not always found in conventional markets. Dan's Key Food is on W236th, and there's an A&P on Riverdale Avenue in the Skyview complex. Target is on W225th as well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roypeled View Post
Hi,

Family of four, moving to NYC this summer for a 2year fellowship at Columbia U. Seems like a 2br at Morningside Heights might be a bit over our budget. Considered Riverdale (where I spent a few years as a child when my family lived there, and loved it), but Im told Riverdale without a car might be difficult (not the commute to CU but the daily arrands, kids to preschool, etc...). Other affordable places seems to be Inwood and Washington Heights (hoping to avoid Brooklyn, not keen on a long commute to CU).

Grateful for any thoughts on how difficult living in any of these without a car can be.

Thanks,

Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I here you. Part is, the rest isn't especially for rentals. I was thinking the OP is looking in the wrong spots. Its a matter of what one wishes to deal with, but there are buildings near the hospital, which are pretty fair, and otherd that are less fair, both with rents cheaper than the average mid to low markeg rents in Riverdale.

Of course Riverside drive literally from the hospital downward, is all upscale.

I just reread the OP, now I'm more confused. Are we talking WaHi or Morningside Heights????
It's really not confusing. He is asking about living in Riverdale or Washington Heights, both of which fit his budget, because Morningside Heights near Columbia (where he has a fellowship) is out of his budget.

All of this is in the original post and it is not confusing at all.

If you would spend a little more time on your reading comprehension and less time making obnoxious posts to people who are simply on here looking for information, this board would be slightly better off.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:27 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
are we really comparing washington heights to riverdale? lol. Riverdale hands down. Especially since the guy has kids

Last edited by K.O.N.Y; 05-09-2011 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City